Drinking Thread

Texsox

Different than the "I'm drunk" thread. All things drinking.

To kick it off, I was just in Austin and dropped by 6th Street to feel old, and man I did at times. But, it still ranks as my favorite spot to hang out. Rooftop bars, more live bands than you can count, including multiple bands in the same bar. No covers, $2 drinks almost everywhere. Great street vibe. Great atmosphere.

I was in Astoria, Queens Saturday afternoon. Place called the Beer Garden at Bohemian Hall. Its mostly outside, modeled after a German beer hall. Folksy type music, small wooden dance floor with a stage. Food vendors around the outside. The beer was kinda expensive but they had so many good european style beers there (Hoegaarden, Spaten, Stella, Heineken, etc...) It was a lot of fun. I lived in Germany when i was younger and have vague memories of being at a beer hall and the moment I walked in there was an immediate sense of recognizing that type of atmosphere. Highly recommended to anyone who lives around NYC

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Jagerbombs...I f***ing shower in that s***

$1 at a couple of the bars. :headbang

And I was carded. I looked at the guy and basically gave him a WTF? You are kidding right. And sire enough he wanted my id. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)

And I was carded. I looked at the guy and basically gave him a WTF? You are kidding right. And sire enough he wanted my id. :lolhitting

He was just wondering if you were alive for the cubs last world series.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)

You tell me the bars and I'll blackout within seconds. I can usually handle myself pretty well, but $1 Jagbombs is fracking ridiculous.

Jager. . . ugh.

My Grand Tiki Adventure has brought me to the Donga Punch, an original 1937 drink by the Father of Tiki, Donn the Beachcomber. Lime juice, white grapefruit juice (rare for tiki drinks), cinamon infused simple syrup, and a generous pour of 5 year Demerara rum (I can't afford the aged Martinique rhum Donn used originally) makes for a really exceptional and different drink. If I find the grapefruit is making the flavor profile a little dry or bitter, I'll sub half of that with pineapple.

I'm really liking El Dorado Demerara 5 year as the backbone in several faux tropicals. Makes great whites (coconut milk and nutmeg, Mmmmm) and Tahitian sunsets really come together, and also makes for a really nice mai tai if I don't want to use up my favorite 15 year Demerara.

Also working out the kinks in a traditional "one of sour, two of sweet. . . " Jamaican rum punch. Equal measures of light, golden, and dark rums and a secret slug of Jamaican strawberry syrup make a decent punch, but substituting aome allspice-infused Wray and Nephew overproof for the light rum definately brings it up a notch.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
Jager. . . ugh.

My Grand Tiki Adventure has brought me to the Donga Punch, an original 1937 drink by the Father of Tiki, Donn the Beachcomber. Lime juice, white grapefruit juice (rare for tiki drinks), cinamon infused simple syrup, and a generous pour of 5 year Demerara rum (I can't afford the aged Martinique rhum Donn used originally) makes for a really exceptional and different drink. If I find the grapefruit is making the flavor profile a little dry or bitter, I'll sub half of that with pineapple.

I'm really liking El Dorado Demerara 5 year as the backbone in several faux tropicals. Makes great whites (coconut milk and nutmeg, Mmmmm) and Tahitian sunsets really come together, and also makes for a really nice mai tai if I don't want to use up my favorite 15 year Demerara.

Also working out the kinks in a traditional "one of sour, two of sweet. . . " Jamaican rum punch. Equal measures of light, golden, and dark rums and a secret slug of Jamaican strawberry syrup make a decent punch, but substituting aome allspice-infused Wray and Nephew overproof for the light rum definately brings it up a notch.

I am getting in a kayak and crossing the Gulf to go drinking with you. I figure crossing the Gulf in a kayak is safer than the following consumption of alcohol.

You got me thinking. My gf does not like coconut, which knocks out many tropical drinks. The Donga Punch outline just might be perfect.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
I am getting in a kayak and crossing the Gulf to go drinking with you. I figure crossing the Gulf in a kayak is safer than the following consumption of alcohol.

You got me thinking. My gf does not like coconut, which knocks out many tropical drinks. The Donga Punch outline just might be perfect.

Be careful - if she doesn't like it, she may give your Donga Punch.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)

Not liking coconut takes away some of the classics like Pusser's Painkiller #2 (maybe my "stranded on an island" tropical drink choice), Blue Hawaiian, etc., but as long as she likes rum, lime, and pineapple juice there are still loads of good boat drinks to be had.

As for all y'all yukking it up over the donga punch. . . I'm just glad I didn't talk about the Pineapple Double Donga I made the other night! :lolhitting

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I was in Astoria, Queens Saturday afternoon. Place called the Beer Garden at Bohemian Hall. Its mostly outside, modeled after a German beer hall. Folksy type music, small wooden dance floor with a stage. Food vendors around the outside. The beer was kinda expensive but they had so many good european style beers there (Hoegaarden, Spaten, Stella, Heineken, etc...) It was a lot of fun. I lived in Germany when i was younger and have vague memories of being at a beer hall and the moment I walked in there was an immediate sense of recognizing that type of atmosphere. Highly recommended to anyone who lives around NYC

I've been there a few times. Find it's best on a Friday Night, when they have the live band on. Good european beers like you've said, but it is a little pricey. Still it's a good atmophere when the weather is nice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
First experience getting drunk: Heineken Brewery, Amsterdam. Beat that

Not certain if it was my first, but 7&7's so bad I asked this girl to stick her fingers down my throat so I could puke. To this day, I can not stand the smell of whiskey. For a long time my favorite was a nice chilled vodka, neat with a couple olives. Shots of tequila, no problem. Gin and tonic until the sun comes up. But whiskey :puke: even after 30 years.