Ford Announces Special Speed Limiting Key

Texsox

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a speed limiting key?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How old are you?

• Under 25
    • Over 25

Ford feature will let parents set limits for teens

By TOM KRISHER – 3 hours ago

DETROIT (AP) — So you think junior is a little too lead-footed when he drives the family car? Starting next year, Ford Motor Co. will give you the power to do something about it.

The company will roll out a new feature on many 2010 models that can limit teen drivers to 80 mph, using a computer chip in the key.

Parents also have the option of programming the teen's key to limit the audio system's volume, and to sound continuous alerts if the driver doesn't wear a seat belt.

"Our message to parents is, hey, we are providing you some conditions to give your new drivers that may allow you to feel a little more comfortable in giving them the car more often," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's director of electronic and electrical systems engineering.

Linked Here

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Anyone that f's with my radio is a dead man.

I think the idea here is, its not your radio. This is a key that the owner of the vehicle could give to someone else - i.e. their child - when they use the car.

If its your car, and your radio, you just use your regular key.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
I think the idea here is, its not your radio. This is a key that the owner of the vehicle could give to someone else - i.e. their child - when they use the car.

Here's an interesting twist, would you rent one? Would you rent one if there was a discount?

I would.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)

Or...if you're worried about fuel efficiency and you happen to tend to have a heavy foot, this could be useful for you also.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
Are you presently or have you recently kicked whippersnappers off of your lawn?
No, but I do know that sensory deprivation will hinder safe driving. :P Unless they are playing classic rock like The Who, Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. Then rock on garth

well... i can see it both ways, i like it in - alot of teens duno wtf their doing on highway and go so fast. i dont like it becuase what if you need 100mph, or something.

i guess its good, as technology is good, but no1 shud f*** with the radio limit..

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
well... i can see it both ways, i like it in - alot of teens duno wtf their doing on highway and go so fast. i dont like it becuase what if you need 100mph, or something.

i guess its good, as technology is good, but no1 shud f*** with the radio limit..

I would guess you would need to go 100MPH about 1 time in your life when Godzilla is chasing you.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
I would guess you would need to go 100MPH about 1 time in your life when Godzilla is chasing you.

That made me really lol. I don't see the need for anyone to ever need to go above 80. I just don't.

For all of you wondering why you would want to drive over 80...

Take a drive through West Texas, Eastern Colorado or New Mexico, Eastern Oregon, or for that matter Central Illinois.

Gotta go as fast as you can to get through those places. And I'm sure there are others.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 03:31 AM)
Want to stop speeding and reduce road deaths? Quit making commercial vehicles that can go so f***ing fast. Why the f*** should a Chevy Malibu be able to hit 120? 80 MPH should be the fastest any car is able to go.

You must have a big one. :ph34r: