Good riddance OC

fathom

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
You fail to grasp the point he was making. Nice try, though.

I'll help you out a little bit, he wasn't blaming the season on Orlando Cabrera.

Why is OC gettinng singled out? He's one of the few veteran players on this team who actually lived up to their career averages. fathom's had some weird psychotic hate for him all season and I can't quite understand it.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
Why is OC gettinng singled out? He's one of the few veteran players on this team who actually lived up to their career averages. fathom's had some weird psychotic hate for him all season and I can't quite understand it.

Me and Joe Cowley and Jermaine Dye and others, I guess.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
I'm sure someone will claim inside knowledge on why OC is such a cancer. But before they do, I'd like to say that is clearly not evident on the surface.

i dont really dont think this thread has anything to do with him "being a cancer" (which i don't believe he is)

its more that he is 1.) old 2.) overrated defensively 3.) overrated offensively (no power, weak on base skills, not a huge threat on the bases) and 4.) will get alot of money

if we could sign him to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal i would certainly do that, but he will probably be looking for 3 years in the neighborhood of 20 mil (at the minimum i would think), and for that id way rather have the draft picks

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
I'm sure someone will claim inside knowledge on why OC is such a cancer. But before they do, I'd like to say that is clearly not evident on the surface.

Furthermore, just because some on the team don't like him, doesn't mean he's necessarily the problem. He's been on more playoff teams the last 5 years than the great veteran core for the White Sox. He didn't seem to be a problem on those teams.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)

His pointless throw to the plate that probably cost the Sox a run, as well as his taking two Sonnenstine meatballs right down the middle before swinging at a tougher pitch is pretty much the story of the season with this guy. He's not that smart player we were told he was. He's run in stupid situations like stealing third with 2 outs when a single scores him from second, he's complained about everything, he's called out the team like he has any reason to... he seems to believe in his head that he's some great shortstop when he's really not. He is a solid player, but he's nothing more than that. Any team that thinks Orlando Cabrera is the answer is going to have a bad contract on their hands when it's all said and done.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
agreed.

QUOTE (Felix @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
winnar

I would not be opposed to giving him the $4.5 mill he got this year too. He's just that valuable to the Sox. You take him for what he is - a bad starting player, a great defender, a poor contact man, a generally smart ballplayer, and a guy who hits for power. When he is thrown into a starting position or he has to work for his playing time, he usually hits pretty well too (.271/.319/.418/.737 in the second half...not great but as a 8 or 9 hitter, that's perfect).

I'm afraid that a team is going to give him a multi-year deal to be a starter, and if the Red Sox can find someone to take Julio Lugo (and I hope to all that is holy that it is not the Sox), I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's them. Then again, they have Lowrie, so probably not.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
i dont really dont think this thread has anything to do with him "being a cancer" (which i don't believe he is)

its more that he is 1.) old 2.) overrated defensively 3.) overrated offensively (no power, weak on base skills, not a huge threat on the bases) and 4.) will get alot of money

if we could sign him to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal i would certainly do that, but he will probably be looking for 3 years in the neighborhood of 20 mil (at the minimum i would think), and for that id way rather have the draft picks

First I'd like to say I'm not even condoning signing him, but it's clear that a lot of people here hate OC and not simply because we aren't going to resign him this offseason. I mean, you could take most of those number points and apply it to a lot of players here, but no one is going to start a bash thread against them.

As for a potential future here, I wouldn't mind it. The 2B class is flat-out terrible, minus Hudson who is going to cost quite the coin. I'd prefer a SS anyways as Alexei's range doesn't figure to be very good. So again looking at the FA market, it doesn't look too hot, and OC would probably be the best option, unless you're a Rafeal Furcal fan. Either that or we have a huge middle infield hole next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
I would not be opposed to giving him the $4.5 mill he got this year too. He's just that valuable to the Sox. You take him for what he is - a bad starting player, a great defender, a poor contact man, a generally smart ballplayer, and a guy who hits for power.

Not to mention, It just seems that everyone on the team loves him. I have never had a problem with Uribe. He is so valuable as the backup infielder.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
it doesn't look too hot, and OC would probably be the best option, unless you're a Rafeal Furcal fan. Either that or we have a huge middle infield hole next year.

I'd take Furcal in a heartbeat if the price is right. Plus the draft pick from OC.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 02:03 AM)
I'd take Furcal in a heartbeat if the price is right. Plus the draft pick from OC.

I would probably jump on the Furcal bandwagon too, especially if he can show he's at where he was from 2003-06. We could maybe get him for cheap. Though as a SS, I want to make sure he's going to play 160+ games for me, this coming off a season in which he played 36.

I would probably jump on the Furcal bandwagon too, especially if he can show he's at where he was from 2003-06. We could maybe get him for cheap. Though as a SS, I want to make sure he's going to play 160+ games for me, this coming off a season in which he played 36.

He's coming off a 3 year-$39 million deal. Define "cheap."

It was probably hard for some to get attached to OC who had his own upcoming free agency his obvious motivation most of the season. To his credit, his focus seemed to change as the games became more important. By then, its only understandable that season long resentment could not be repaired with those vested in this team.