cub fans converting

Princess Dye

I mean, if the Sox had advanced it might have happened in droves. The Cub fanbase is so angry right now, and at their convention they are gonna tear into their team.

But some of those non-diehards are going to switch over. Sox will be the optimistic up and coming team next year (dinosaurs aside)...whereas the Cubs could win 120 and the same anxieties will remain.

How do you guys feel about this? Plus Steve Stone fans will tune in more, there could be a shift in the fanbase in Chicago.

And we can hate it all we want, but more fans means more potential FA dollars at the end of the day.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
also 2005 and now this year... i wonder how kids in their formative years are choosing their allegiances these days.

100whatever years of history doesnt mean that much to a kid. the last 20 seconds are all that matter.

not to mention, The white sox have been focusing on the kids lately (south paw, fundamentals etc. )

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
I miss Ribbie and Rhubarb

Ditto that. They were a lot of fun.

I am not sure how many converts the Sox will get. It would have been great to see what this team could do if Quentin, Contreras, and Crede were all healthy for the playoffs, not to mention Linebrink in midseason form. Too few guys had to do too much to get in and they really did not have the horses or energy to go far at that point.

I think combining the Cubs collapse with a more sustained Sox playoff run could have been the straw that broke the Camel's back with the fans up north. They are an angry and salty bunch that have been made to look like stooges once again. They expected so much and got so little with the resounding thud that ended their season. Maybe that collapse will be enough to cause them to either give up baseball altogether or at least their allegiance to the Cubs. Booze and sex are still what drives attendance up north, though so I will believe the exodus when I see it. If only the Sox neighborhood had more things to do before and after the game.

Forget it.

First off, you have to remember that the Cubs have "fans" whether they absolutely suck or not. Just because they blew it--again--only adds to the mystique of the "Curse" and the "loveable losers." Something they've marketed for years. I highly doubt people who go to those games are going to say "Enough!" and become Sox fans.

Ronnie Woo Woo notwithstanding. And BTW take that jersey off, asshole.

Second, maybe a couple of casual fans leaning towards the Cubs but liking the Sox might come over, but again: we're talking Wrigley field here, where often people go just to GO, who cares about the game?

Third, die-hard fans aren't quitting on the team. They're bitter right now but when opening day rolls around they'll be back into it, albeit with lowered expectations. Which, actually, is probably what everybody needs over there--even the team. How many of you here would ditch the Sox for the Cubs if we were still WS-free after 100 and had blown playoffs endlessly? Because we've done that since I've been a fan, for decades... until 2005, and I never considered switching. Never even occured to me.

Lastly, I don't want them. I don't like them and their binge drinking and their idiocy and I think we all remember all the bandwagon jumpers in 2006 who suddenly appeared at the park. No thanks.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I'm always for more fans filling the stadium and larger payrolls as a result.

My girlfriend calls him the White Sox Garbage Monster.

What the heck is he supposed to be, anyway?

http://culturepush.com/x/wp-content/upload...uch-9911499.jpg

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images...cot_250x300.jpg

Cub fans won't convert. They'll keep packing that dump. One thing about the Cubs, you would think if they keep the same team they'll probably be locks for the playoffs again. The only thing that will prevent them eventually from getting to the WS is the postseason choke thing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Cub fans won't convert. They'll keep packing that dump. One thing about the Cubs, you would think if they keep the same team they'll probably be locks for the playoffs again. The only thing that will prevent them eventually from getting to the WS is the postseason choke thing.

The 2007 team looked a lot like our 2006 team, and the records were reversed for the 2. I hope the Cubs stand pat and get inexplicably worse.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Like in 2006? And 2007 was... um...

Including the playoffs, the White Sox have won 90+ games 3 times out of the last 4. Are you still going to complain about a high payroll? Because if you do, that's absolutely f***ing ridiculous.

What would convert you into a Cubs fan? Probably not much....the Cubs' fan edge is as much a product of marketing as the product on the field.

In the 50's and most of the 60's, the Sox were by far the better of the teams and the attendance at Comiskey was consistently higher than at Wrigley. The attendance of both teams fluctuated during the 70's.

The Cubs took over the town in 1984 when the Cubs attendance went on an upward trajectory that has lasted ever since. It's largely due to the Cub lovable loser / Harry Caray drinking at a day game vibe that was cemented that season. At the time at Old Comiskey, it was a place where young folks went to drink and get into fights. As a child that was my impression and, quite frankly, the Cubs lured in some of my south suburban friends with it. Bottom line - the Cubs were sold as a product while the Sox were trying to sell themselves as a baseball team during the 80's. They were playing different marketing games and the Cubs won, hands down.

The only way for the Sox to catch up now is to have an extended period of winning and making the playoffs, a la the Angels in LA, where they have really outdone the Dodgers in a lot of ways. They aren't going to get the branding away from the Cubs, but they can compete on winning ways if they work hard enough. People do tire of losers eventually, and a couple of World Series on the South Side over the course of the next 10 years could turn the tide.