2009 Starting Lineup

ChisoxFurrious9

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Anyone else know any historical examples of a team with 3 successful Lefty starters? (Other than, Buehrle, Danks, and Richard) It seems like it could work, but for some in baseball it's a major issue. Sabathia as unlikely as his acquisition would be would have to be slotted as #1. This would mean in a traditional lefty/righty setup, Floyd a Righty as 2, Buehrle #3, Broadway#4, and Danks #5. Now, I don’t know if we’d want Danks as #5 again. Given the enormous improvements he’s made over the last year. This would be subject to change; as If I remember correctly at the beginning of this year it was Buehrle, Vasquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd, which would change significantly by the end.

I agree that you have to split up lefties and righties. However, I disagree with what you said about not wanting Danks as a #5 starter. In my opinion, being #5 is just the day you'd be pitching on, not how good of a pitcher you are. And this whole rotation would be in a scenario with Sabathia, which we all know would be an impossible acquisition. I find it highly unlikely Danks goes #5 next year without a major pitching acquisition.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Oh, the money. I am not too worried about the sox over paying someone. I haven't seen that since . . . ?

It's an opinion, as you could say they've overpaid for Contreras, Vazquez, Konerko, Buehrle...basically anyone they've signed to an extension recently. I'd say the last time they really dropped the ball was Navarro though, and KW wasn't even the GM when he was traded.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Sabathia is going to get a Johan Santana like contract; with the number of innings he's thrown in the past 2 years and that amount of fat on his body, it just doesn't seem to bode well. I could easily see him turning into something close to Mike Hampton.

I do think Sabathia will be fine in the long run. The one thing I would definitely do is limit his innings next season, preferably closer to the 200 range rather than 250.

the way coop has been able to elevate the game of so many young pitchers, i think we should stick to the method of finding high potential, undervalued pitchers. CC sabathia is awesome, but I'd like to have the room to go out and get brian roberts, melky cabrera, or nate mclouth.

Chris Getz definitely intrigues me. He reminds me a little bit of Pedroia. Not your prototypical major league hitter but something about him makes me want to give him a chance. Ive always been a big fan of his as he progressed through the minors might be a factor in it too. That being said the only way he is a starter next season is if we sign Furcal and Alexi is moved to CF.

Furcal

Ramirez

Quentin

Thome

Dye

Konerko

Beltre

Pieryznski

Getz

I do think Getz would be best suited in the 2 hole but I wouldnt know how to justify have Ramirez so low in the lineup. That seems pretty realistic as what could happen though. After 2009 season is when the major changes in our offense would begin.

I do believe that if Uribe is not brought back that Getz will be the primary backup in the infield. Even so, I could see Getz playing his way onto the roster if there is another player on the bench or in the field that can play 1B (so Swisher, but another would be OK too).

2B Brian Roberts

1B Nick Swisher

LF Carlos Quentin

DH Jim Thome

RF Jermaine Dye

SS Alexei Ramirez

C AJ Pierzynski

3B Casey Blake

CF Brian Anderson

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Gavin Floyd

SP John Danks

SP __________

SP Aaron Poreda

Bullpen:

Bobby Jenks

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

Octavio Dotel

Clayton Richard

D.J. Carrasco

Now of course I have no clue how we'd magically acquire Roberts with out trading Poreda, but whatever haha