Who will regress in 2k9?

southsider2k5

Which surprise of 2008 will falter in 2009?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which surprise of 2008 will falter in 2009?

• John Danks
    • Gavin Floyd
    • Carlos Quentin
    • Alexei Ramirez

Where's the "all of the above" option?

That isn't to say all of them will suck in 2009, but I don't expect either Danks or Floyd to repeat their ERAs from this year and it'll be incredibly difficult for TCQ to match what he did this past season. I do think Danks and TCQ will both be very good next year, but just not as good as this year.

As for Alexei, I don't think he'll regress so to say, but I do think his free swinging nature and lack of plate discipline will come back to bite him.

I voted Alexei. I think the league adjusted a bit to him at the end of the season and he'll have a tough time hitting .290 next year. Maybe .270, which probably leaves with him a .300 OBP. Happily, though, Alexei showed a bit more plate discipline as the season progressed - he walked 8 times in Sep/Oct. If Alexei walks 50 times next season...he's a top notch middle infielder.

QUOTE (Felix @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Where's the "all of the above" option?

That isn't to say all of them will suck in 2009, but I don't expect either Danks or Floyd to repeat their ERAs from this year and it'll be incredibly difficult for TCQ to match what he did this past season. I do think Danks and TCQ will both be very good next year, but just not as good as this year.

As for Alexei, I don't think he'll regress so to say, but I do think his free swinging nature and lack of plate discipline will come back to bite him.

I agree with this, realistically. Even though Q had a phenomenal year, I'd say he is the least likely of the four to regress because of the tireless effort I've read and heard about.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I'll say Quentin. I love Carlos, but as Kalapse said, it's just going to be really difficult to duplicate what he did.

Even if he puts up a .900 OPS, he still is regressing. Thats a tough act to follow.

I don't really agree. If he plays the whole year he could have a lower OPS than this year with higher RBI numbers, lets say 125 RBI, getting on at a .380 clip with a .520 slugging %.

OPS isn't really the best way of measuring regression in my mind.

the poll options for this are terrible. Players generally get better with age, and while all four of these players had great seasons that will be tough to duplicate, that doesn't mean if they don't have as good or better seasons statistically next year that they have regressed.

If I had to say who was going to regress next year, I'd tell you Jermaine Dye, but we have already begun to see his regression since 06.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
the poll options for this are terrible. Players generally get better with age, and while all four of these players had great seasons that will be tough to duplicate, that doesn't mean if they don't have as good or better seasons statistically next year that they have regressed.

If I had to say who was going to regress next year, I'd tell you Jermaine Dye, but we have already begun to see his regression since 06.

Exactly.

Players to regress?

How about,

JD (as mentioned)

Thome

Vasquez

Griffey (scary thought)

Ocab

Dotel

Linebrink

Thornton

Good thing a few of those players mentioned won't be back (I would think). I would name PK, but, he had such a s***ty year that he is likely to bounce back.

The old guys will, Thome, Konerko, AJ, Crede, JD, Buerhle, Javy -- They all need to be traded

The guys that had career years. CQ, A-Ram, Danks, Gavin etc. Trade them while their values are highest

Some of the guys like Jenks who just kind of stayed the same, are probably ready to decline. Trade them.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
The old guys will, Thome, Konerko, AJ, Crede, JD, Buerhle, Javy -- They all need to be traded

The guys that had career years. CQ, A-Ram, Danks, Gavin etc. Trade them while their values are highest

Some of the guys like Jenks who just kind of stayed the same, are probably ready to decline. Trade them.

I will take this as sarcasm ;)

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 07:26 AM)
I will take this as sarcasm ;)

This isn't a World Series team. Imagine the prospects we could pick up for these guys. They have way more trade value then Konerko and Dye. ;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
This isn't a World Series team. Imagine the prospects we could pick up for these guys. They have way more trade value then Konerko and Dye. ;)

I have an Idea!

Step 1: Let's trade everyone for prospects! Step 2: we play .500 ball. Step 3: prospects develop. Repeat step 1! Brilliant! Where is a good place to buy a Chicago Athletics Jersey?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
I have an Idea!

Step 1: Let's trade everyone for prospects! Step 2: we play .500 ball. Step 3: prospects develop. Repeat step 1! Brilliant! Where is a good place to buy a Chicago Athletics Jersey?

Yep, that's the usual formula around here. Jump in line.

Danks - he's a young pitcher coming off a very good year in which he pitched both too many innings and a lot of high stress innings. He may improve as a pitcher next year (continue making adjustments, working/perfecting pitches), but I'm very worried about his workload this year.