KW's messin' with us: Getz and Owens the change we've bee

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1600685.story

Discuss, :-).

I don't mind Getz as the supersub/utility guy if we want to save money on Uribe's deal....but for Jerry Owens to be getting the majority of at-bats in CF against RH pitchers and for Chris to be the starting 2B, that doesn't seem like the surest way to get the fanbase excited for 2009. Of course, KW doesn't really care what the fans think, so it's his preorogative, but I can't imagine the other contending teams will be too fear-stricken. At least he didn't say Josh Fields would be the starting 3B on April 6th against KC and that Clayton Richard is his fifth starter.

Well...these are the first hints about what's to come, but I don't believe it, any more than I am 100% sure Swisher will be back next season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)

I don't mind Getz as the supersub/utility guy if we want to save money on Uribe's deal....but for Jerry Owens to be getting the majority of at-bats in CF against RH pitchers and for Chris to be the starting 2B, that doesn't seem like the surest way to get the fanbase excited for 2009. Of course, KW doesn't really care what the fans think, so it's his preorogative, but I can't imagine the other contending teams will be too fear-stricken. At least he didn't say Josh Fields would be the starting 3B on April 6th against KC.

what's he supposed to say...hey i got these trades lined up for better talent..or yeah we want hudson or figgins...come on now, you know how kenny operates.

Well, he didn't mention Fields, Logan, Broadway, MacDougal, Wasserman or Anderson...KW is very selective about who he praises in the media...and he always does it for a strategic purpose. Does that mean we're going to market Chris Getz as "David Eckstein/Adam Kennedy/Aaron Miles" and get another Juan Uribe in return? Well, why not?

I just can't see how anyone would be excited about Jerry Owens playing CF. I think I would rather have Griffey, Mackowiak or Brian Daubach out there.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Where did Williams even make a comment about Owens in that article?

To me, it was implied...but maybe I'm totally off-base. Usually, the GM and writers get comments all the time (not for attribution or to be quoted officially) that give the writer a better insight into the thinking of the team, basically "off the record" but background information.

Of course, that doesn't mean I think KW told Gonzalez or Phil Rogers they would trade Konerko...I just have the sense that he must have said something at some point (recently) to give the writer the idea that Owens was still part of the plan/puzzle in the "speed/game changer" equation.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
If I'm going to read into anything, that would tell me the Sox knew that had a weakness in speed, had that asset in AAA, and still decided not to bring him up. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Owens.

I'd agree completely with this.

I could actually see the sox acquiring Figgins from the Angels, they have what we need and we have what they need. They have no 1B, Kotchman traded and Texeria is a free agent. The angels are always a team that looks for veratile guys with value contracts, Swish provides all that. Plus that team has an old core that's beginning to show its age; Vlad and Anderson are in the last years of their deals (Team options) and are starting to look a little sluggish and injury prone. Someone like Swisher, late 20s, could be just what they need. Perhaps the sox could work a package of Swish/Fields (or Wise) for Figgins/Prospects or something of the sorts could work. Id say if that doesn't work out take a shot at Furcal at 3/33 or Hudson at 3/27.

See this is the money quote to me:

"I still believe that and we'll look to add to our young core, but I'm not ready to speak on it yet."

As much as we expect moves for Hudson or Furcal, it's more likely that he has some prospect on his mind that he's had on his board for the last couple of years that we don't know about.

Furcal is likely going to be too expensive for the Sox to consider and will probably re-up with the Dodgers if he plays well through the playoffs. Hudson might come at a discount due to his recent streak of injuries, but the Diamondbacks have cleared out all the other 2B in their system so they will likely try hard to get him to return. There are some guys out there that we could take a look at, but not really high end guys. Joaquin Arias from Texas is a player who is blocked can play both middle IF posisitons and has speed. He is young and cheap and could probably be had for some of the pitchers that do not figure into the picture for next year.

Also you could trade Fields and a 1B either Swish or Kong, if he would accept it, to the Giants for Velez, Lewis, and a P. The quality of the P will depend on which guy goes there in the trade obviously. Doing that allows KW to go out and spend money for a 3B.

I have pretty much assumed that Javy will be traded this winter mostly due to his contract status. Somewhere like Atlanta, Cincinatti, or Milwaukee would proably make sense for him. Not sure how well any of those teams match up as trade partners so its possible if he is traded it is in a three way move, because one thing is for certain, Kenny does not trade for prospects that do not have a shot at making the club in the next season.

I dont think they'll play Owens next year....

But i also think Getz might get every opportunity, and that Hudson aint happenin

After all, Hudson is 30 - they're going to want to pay up for a younger player perhaps, but this free agent season it looks more built for stopgaps again. Like Casey Blake maybe, but i dunno.

Unless they can actually move one of the older power hitters, I dont know what they can get via trade.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:43 AM)
I saw some quotes earlier as well saying there were speedier guys in the organization like Getz and Owens (he even included Fields as fairly fast) for Oz to use if he wishes.

Didn't they cut off Fields leg at the knee or someithing? I don't think he will be very fast.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)

I don't mind Getz as the supersub/utility guy if we want to save money on Uribe's deal....but for Jerry Owens to be getting the majority of at-bats in CF against RH pitchers and for Chris to be the starting 2B, that doesn't seem like the surest way to get the fanbase excited for 2009. Of course, KW doesn't really care what the fans think, so it's his preorogative, but I can't imagine the other contending teams will be too fear-stricken. At least he didn't say Josh Fields would be the starting 3B on April 6th against KC and that Clayton Richard is his fifth starter.

Well...these are the first hints about what's to come, but I don't believe it, any more than I am 100% sure Swisher will be back next season.

I can totally deal with Getz at 2B if the Sox find a way to acquire a top notch leadoff hitter that can play CF.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 06:55 AM)
Furcal is likely going to be too expensive for the Sox to consider and will probably re-up with the Dodgers if he plays well through the playoffs. Hudson might come at a discount due to his recent streak of injuries, but the Diamondbacks have cleared out all the other 2B in their system so they will likely try hard to get him to return. There are some guys out there that we could take a look at, but not really high end guys. Joaquin Arias from Texas is a player who is blocked can play both middle IF posisitons and has speed. He is young and cheap and could probably be had for some of the pitchers that do not figure into the picture for next year.

Also you could trade Fields and a 1B either Swish or Kong, if he would accept it, to the Giants for Velez, Lewis, and a P. The quality of the P will depend on which guy goes there in the trade obviously. Doing that allows KW to go out and spend money for a 3B.

I have pretty much assumed that Javy will be traded this winter mostly due to his contract status. Somewhere like Atlanta, Cincinatti, or Milwaukee would proably make sense for him. Not sure how well any of those teams match up as trade partners so its possible if he is traded it is in a three way move, because one thing is for certain, Kenny does not trade for prospects that do not have a shot at making the club in the next season.

Arias is overrated. He was supposed to be a top prospect coming up through the Rangers system, but he was terrible as a 21 year old in AAA (understandable) but really never did anything offensively to receive those promotions. He also missed most of 2007 and put up a .750 OPS this past season in AAA as a 23 year old in the PCL. He's got limited power (if that) and he doesn't draw walks. He doesn't excite me.

I also don't know why you'd trade Konerko (who wouldn't accept a trade to San Francisco in the first place) and have Eugenio Velez be one of the main pieces back, let alone including Fields in the deal. I also don't see why San Francisco would make that deal in the first place...yeah Brian Sabean is the GM, but they are in a clear rebuilding mode, and while they'll probably sign a free agent or two, I can't expect them to trade one of their good young players in Fred Lewis for a player who has seemingly become a non-prospect or either Swisher or Konerko who had down years. In fact, Lewis had a higher OPS+ than both Konerko and Swisher. That makes no sense really at all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)

Didn't they cut off Fields leg at the knee or someithing? I don't think he will be very fast.

Josh was actually 8/10 on steals this year with some very bad knees and missing a decent chunk of the year. I can't get my site for his other years to load for some reason right now, but he's at least not anywhere near Konerko level. He'll swipe a few if healthy and can probably score from first on most doubles.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Josh was actually 8/10 on steals this year with some very bad knees and missing a decent chunk of the year. I can't get my site for his other years to load for some reason right now, but he's at least not anywhere near Konerko level. He'll swipe a few if healthy and can probably score from first on most doubles.

In '06 he stole 28 bases out of 32 attempts for Charlotte.

i am also a big getz fan....at least i became one with the year he had this year...if his emergence of power he showed is legit, i liken him to an older ryan sweeney at 2b

not sure what we would have to pay orlando hudson, but im pretty sure for the money simply plugging getz in would be a much more cost effective option, as i dont see a big enough difference in their numbers to justify something like 8 mil per year

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
i am also a big getz fan....at least i became one with the year he had this year...if his emergence of power he showed is legit, i liken him to an older ryan sweeney at 2b

not sure what we would have to pay orlando hudson, but im pretty sure for the money simply plugging getz in would be a much more cost effective option, as i dont see a big enough difference in their numbers to justify something like 8 mil per year

i'm getzing excited.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)

Is $10-12 million a big enough difference between a .700 OPS and whatever the hell kind of defense Getz plays to an .800+ OPS player with gold glove defense but slight injury concerns?

That really was a crazy quote by KW, sort of daring Ozzie to play Owens, Getz, Fields. He defended himself saying there was speed in the organization, but he understood why Oz wanted to play veterans. He even said Getz reminded him of a Twinkie type player.

Edited by greg775