My fandom questioned

Harry Chappas

I was at the last 5 home Sox games and all were great. I attended 22 games this year so I think I may know a couple of things about being a fan.

I had two moms from Orland question my fandom on Sunday because I was not standing up and cheering on the 1-2 pitch with nobody out in the first inning. They had no problem with me talking to their kids all game about baseball though. After the game they both told me and the guy I was with that we are not real fans. I looked at her and told her that she has no business telling me how to be a fan or how to act. I was excited and happy but was not going to stand and cheer every pitch.

On Monday I had people all around yelling at me to artifically get excited during the game.

Look, I get up and cheer at pivotal points during the game. 2 strikes with two out and runners on. Tying run at the plate, stuff liek that.

I am a typical pessimistic Sox fan. I rationalized in July when the Sox played in Texas and KC that this team was not that good. I echo Fathom's statement that the July losses hurt more than Monday's I am not sure why but I think last Tuesday was all I needed from this team for this year.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I was at the last 5 home Sox games and all were great. I attended 22 games this year so I think I may know a couple of things about being a fan.

I had two moms from Orland question my fandom on Sunday because I was not standing up and cheering on the 1-2 pitch with nobody out in the first inning. They had no problem with me talking to their kids all game about baseball though. After the game they both told me and the guy I was with that we are not real fans. I looked at her and told her that she has no business telling me how to be a fan or how to act. I was excited and happy but was not going to stand and cheer every pitch.

On Monday I had people all around yelling at me to artifically get excited during the game.

Look, I get up and cheer at pivotal points during the game. 2 strikes with two out and runners on. Tying run at the plate, stuff liek that.

I am a typical pessimistic Sox fan. I rationalized in July when the Sox played in Texas and KC that this team was not that good. I echo Fathom's statement that the July losses hurt more than Monday's I am not sure why but I think last Tuesday was all I needed from this team for this year.

Drunk sheep. That is all those people questioning you as a fan are. Cheer when you feel like it. Let the rest of the lemmings scream on every pitch. It sounds like you can tell an easy fly from a home run and can sense when a ball will be fair or foul no matter where you sit. People forget that baseball is a cerebral game and not every pitch should be cheered. I know this changes a bit in the playoffs, but these people sound obnoxious. Don't let it bother you.

Edited by Pants Rowland

I dont stand up an cheer at every fly ball. I sit and laugh at those people. If someone questions my fandom I just hit them with a question that they cant answer to sit them down. Ask them about what they think of the Kanny team this season and see what they think.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
I dont stand up an cheer at every fly ball. I sit and laugh at those people. If someone questions my fandom I just hit them with a question that they cant answer to sit them down. Ask them about what they think of the Kanny team this season and see what they think.

I don't know that much about the minor leagues, except the most talked-about prospects. I don't think that makes me less of a fan of the Sox.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't know that much about the minor leagues, except the most talked-about prospects. I don't think that makes me less of a fan of the Sox.

I also dont see you making comments at the game like described above.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)

I don't think that was his point.

RR was just pointing out a way to get someone who was questioning JenksHeat's fandom to shut up.

Thanks, you see I think people watch the cub fans and think that is what we are suppossed to do out there.

The inability to judge a flyball is comical but I understand that as I suppose most folks only get to see that perspective once or twice a year.

Sure I could have dropped a Slayer's gonna get ya next year and see if she understood but at that point I didn't care. I prove my "fanness" by yelling out the triva answer and guessing the attendance within 1,500 people before the number goes up. I really can do this except on the give-away nights where the free tickets do not count.

I resist standing up and cheering on the 2 strike thing because as a pessismistic Sox fan I think it is going to inspire the batter to get a hit. I really do believe this and do not cheer on two strikes, ever.

I can see from my seats in LF that Aaron Rowand and DeWayne Wise can not judge fly balls or take good routes to balls while Griffey and Brian Anderson are good at it and therefore will boo Wise when he plays what should be a simple single into a double or triple.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)

Omg that is my f***ing pet peeve... maybe it's because I played some OF in high school and I have a natural ability to judge where fly balls go, but it absolutely drives me up the wall when the crowd roars prematurely for a routine fly ball that lands 50 feet in front of the warning track. And if you can't tell on your own, look to see what the outfielders are doing. It really isn't that hard.

My bad, Rock. I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were questioning my fandom (I didn't realize this was even a word, but spell check isn't saying it's wrong). I just meant that I would ask a question more in line with the current team. Something that is obscure enough that a bandwagoner wouldn't know it, but a real fan would.

Those ladies should shut the bleep up. Did they say it mean or conversationally? If they let you talk to their kids the whole game they must have thought you were a decent enough fan.

That's like doing the wave. The people who don't do it got yelled at. Big deal.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
ditto, i think it probably stems from online gaming so if you arent a huge nerd you probably wont get it

CS:S Bindz FTW, for example:

"gg no re now get out of our mIRC channel or idle n00b, while i go make some belgiumrofls and poor some l33tsauce on them"

:)

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)

"gg no re now get out of our mIRC channel or idle n00b, while i go make some belgiumrofls and poor some l33tsauce on them"

I am currently riding a lollercoaster while wearing lollerskates

On a similar note to the point of this thread, I've been putting up with similar s*** in classes here. This Monday I started a job which involves my wearing business clothes Monday through Thursday (as I work either directly before or after my classes). This week was probably the first time all year that I haven't been wearing some form of Sox gear, which meant it was open game for all the idiot Twinkie fans in my classes to try calling me out for being a bandwagon fan (including two separate teachers). If I really wanted trouble, I'd bring up the fact that I don't see any of them wearing Twins gear, as well as the fact that I could name more players on the Twins than they could, despite their being "fans" of the team. Instead I just choose to ignore it for the most part, though I do make comments about it to some of the people I'm friends with in these classes.

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)

'gg no re' goes back a lot further than CS:S.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
ditto, i think it probably stems from online gaming so if you arent a huge nerd you probably wont get it

I'm not a huge nerd :(

Edited by Felix