Backup Catcher in 2009?

NorthSideSox72

AJ's Backup in 2009  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think SHOULD be the backup C in 2009?

• Toby Hall
    • Donny Lucy
    • Cole Armstrong
    • Paul Phillips
    • Free Agent or Trade Acquisition
  2. 2. Who do you think WILL be the backup C?

• Toby Hall
    • Donny Lucy
    • Cole Armstrong
    • Paul Phillips
    • Free Agent or Trade Acquisition

Here’s a topic for offseason discussion – who becomes the backup catcher in 2009? Who would you choose, and who do you think will be chosen?

Brief synopsis on the options…

TOBY HALL – He’s 33, and he looked like he was in terrible shape this year. He seems to work well with pitchers, but his defense is mediocre, and his arm is terrible. He got a few hits early in the year, then went back to looking like the 2007 version. He finished 2008 with a .260/.304/.331/.635 line. He has a $2.25M team option, or a $150k buyout.

DONNY LUCY – He’s 26 and it looked like he was lined up to be AJ’s backup for 2009. He’s seen as very good defensively, with some good athleticism and speed for a catcher (stole 17 bases in 18 attempts in 2007). His hitting has always been a question mark – as he’s reached each level of the minors, he’s basically put up similar numbers (AVG in the .260 to .290 range, 10 to 15 HR a year, OK BB/K numbers). But, back in July while playing in Charlotte, he suffered a season-ending knee injury. It was described at the time as a patella dislocation. No word recently on his status.

COLE ARMSTRONG – Cole is about a year younger than Donny. Also like him, he’s considered a plus defender, with questionable hitting credentials, though Armstrong has been a little more erratic (showing very good numbers at times, lousy at others). He finished the year at Charlotte, replacing Lucy, and put up a line. His major disadvantage is that he hits lefty, and his numbers show he definitely hits righties better – this is a less than ideal match for a backup to AJ.

PAUL PHILLIPS – Paul was picked up by the Sox and given a look in ST. He’s older than Lucy or Armstrong by a few years, but younger than Hall. I’m actually not sure what his defense is like other than watching him in a few games in ST and with the Sox, and I’d say he’s at least competent. Offensively, his major league career (X games) has shown a X line. He’s still 2 years from ARB, despite his age, so he’s under control for a while (I think).

OTHER – there is of course the chance to pickup someone from outside the organization. According to K’s free agent list, there are a number of them out there. But many of the 10 listed have team or vesting options likely to be taken up, and the others are I-Roid (Boras client), Varitek (Boras client), and Gregg Zaun (who is 38). There are others as well. May also be able to acquire one by trade, but its usually hard to trade for a competent catcher.

---

MY CALL

I think the team should look at the FA and minor league FA markets, but ultimately, that probably won’t get much. I think Hall is a mistake to pickup the option on, he’s headed downhill fast. Armstrong is intriguing but is a poor offset to AJ, so he’s not a viable option.

That leaves Phillips and Lucy. My call would be to have them both show up for ST, and see how things look. Basically, if Lucy is back to 100% healthy, he gets the job. If not, it goes to Phillips. Armstrong could be a good option for many other teams, so he should probably be traded.

As a matter of policy, I think it is a mistake to dismiss Boras clients immediately. In this case, I'd pass on the two he has.

After thinking about it I chose a FA as the probable for next season. One of the modern realities of baseball I really like is the A-Ram kind of story. There is probably some youngish kid playing on a crappy field in South America who has caught K-Dubya's radar. Or at least that's what I want to believe in early October.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
As a matter of policy, I think it is a mistake to dismiss Boras clients immediately. In this case, I'd pass on the two he has.

After thinking about it I chose a FA as the probable for next season. One of the modern realities of baseball I really like is the A-Ram kind of story. There is probably some youngish kid playing on a crappy field in South America who has caught K-Dubya's radar. Or at least that's what I want to believe in early October.

Josh Bard's a decent option when healthy. He was really spraying the ball in Petco. I think he's 31

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Can't complain with the production Toby Hall gave us.

Good clubhouse guy too, hopefully hes back backing up AJ.

A .631 OPS, mediocre defense, inability to throw out runners, and zero athleticism or speed. I think we can complain a lot.

Any one of Lucy (if healthy), Armstrong or Phillips could equal or better the offense with dramatically better defense, and not cost anything like $2.25M.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
If he hit right-handed, and more importantly could hit lefties better than righties, then yes. But as it stands, he's not useful to the Sox. Trade bait is, I think, his best role.

that is a legit point. and we all know AJ's not leaving any time soon. it's a shame cuz i like the kid a lot.

Toby Hall hit .377 against lefties this year. Not advocating bringing him back, just throwing it out there.

Also, though it's probably an impossibility, but if the Sox could find a way to carry 11 pitchers next year, I wouldn't be opposed to using 3 catchers, or atleast having a guy on the bench who has the ability to catch while playing other positions as well.

in nearly 250 ABs over the last two years with the sox toby hall has 9 walks and 9 extra base hits, posting OPSs of .466 and .635...thats miserable

on top of that as others said, he doesn't have any speed or athleticism, he throws better than AJ but then again so does just about every other catcher in the game...and its not like his D is great

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
in nearly 250 ABs over the last two years with the sox toby hall has 9 walks and 9 extra base hits, posting OPSs of .466 and .635...thats miserable

on top of that as others said, he doesn't have any speed or athleticism, he throws better than AJ but then again so does just about every other catcher in the game...and its not like his D is great

I don't think he even throws better than AJ.

I'm really surprised at how many people want him back. He offers nothing defensively or offensively, to speak of. His only positive traits, as far as I can see, are pitcher handling and clubhouse presence.

Toby's thrown out 15% of would be base stealers since joining the Sox in '06. For the sake of comparison, AJ was the worst in baseball at throwing out basestealers this past year at 18%. So yeah, Toby throwing out 12 of 81 baserunners ('07+'08) would be the worst in the game if he qualified.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't think he even throws better than AJ.

I'm really surprised at how many people want him back. He offers nothing defensively or offensively, to speak of. His only positive traits, as far as I can see, are pitcher handling and clubhouse presence.

Over the past 2 seasons:

AJ: 41 of 199: 21 CS%

Toby 12 of 81: 15 CS%

Can't complain with the production Toby Hall gave us.

Good clubhouse guy too, hopefully hes back backing up AJ.

He was terrible offensively, bad defensively and was lucky to get the ball to second on less than two hops. He did this all while being one of the highest paid backup catchers in the league and skipping surgery in a completely lost season.

Screw his fat, no power, no throwing, slow, overpaid ass.