Backup Catcher in 2009?

NorthSideSox72

AJ's Backup in 2009  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think SHOULD be the backup C in 2009?

• Toby Hall
    • Donny Lucy
    • Cole Armstrong
    • Paul Phillips
    • Free Agent or Trade Acquisition
  2. 2. Who do you think WILL be the backup C?

• Toby Hall
    • Donny Lucy
    • Cole Armstrong
    • Paul Phillips
    • Free Agent or Trade Acquisition

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
I really miss Olivo's arm. I'm really starting to get sick of AJ and his complete inability to throw out anyone. I know that alot of it has to do with our pitchers, but he has a terrible arm.

completely agree......the pitchers being bad at holding guys is overstarted and perpetuated by our announcer who finds it extremely difficult to say anything bad about AJ.....buerhle is one of the best in the league at holding runners, and Danks and Vazquez are near average i would say...floyd and contreras are bad...but i dont think our pitchers are nearly as bad as the hawkaroo likes to say and more of the blame needs to go to AJ who IMO has the worst arm of any starting catcher that comes to mind

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
I don't want him taking up a roster spot, but sign him to be on staff. I love him too much to see him go.

Hey, if Cora gets the Mariner Job, and everyone rotates up a spot, there might be some room in there. I doubt it, and i'd much rather have Raines back, or Ventura somewhere there instead. That and there is no way Toby is ready to retire

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
I really miss Olivo's arm. I'm really starting to get sick of AJ and his complete inability to throw out anyone. I know that alot of it has to do with our pitchers, but he has a terrible arm.

I wouldn't mind having Maguel back. Problem is, I beleive that KC has a club option on him for next season. Regardless, I would like to see Toby gone. The fact is, AJ is getting older and seems to tail off in the second half offensively, as most catchers do. The key for next year is to bring in a better backup catcher that can handle more games and ideally bring something else to the table like a stronger throwing arm, or decent offense. Henry Blanco would be great as well but I doubt the Cub would be stupid enough to let him get away.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
I wouldn't mind having Maguel back. Problem is, I beleive that KC has a club option on him for next season. Regardless, I would like to see Toby gone. The fact is, AJ is getting older and seems to tail off in the second half offensively, as most catchers do. The key for next year is to bring in a better backup catcher that can handle more games and ideally bring something else to the table like a stronger throwing arm, or decent offense. Henry Blanco would be great as well but I doubt the Cub would be stupid enough to let him get away.

I believe it's a mutual option. And when asked if he'd be back with the Royals next year Miguel answered with something along the lines "HELL NO!"

Problem is, he wants to be a starter. Actually, he demands to be a starter, that's sort of why he's leaving KC.

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
Toby is ok, he's not an every day catcher but not bad.

Actually, dollar for dollar he's been one of the worst backup catchers in the game over the past 2 seasons. Aside from singling off of horrible left handed starters he really does nothing else well.

Toby Hall had a decent average this year, but his average does not indicate how he played. A good majority of Hall's hits were either seeing eye singles or bloopers just out of the reach of the infielders/outfielders. Sure, he accidently hit the ball hard once in a while, but with his approach and stance, it's not gonna happen to much more. You'd think a guy who is 6'2" 255 could hit for more power than he does, but it turns out he's just a fat blop. Plus, he plays god awful D and is slow as hell.

Toby definitely needs replacing, and preferably we replace him with someone who is some-what athletic, can play D, and has at least a decent approach at the plate. I'd say Donny Lucy, especially since it looked like he was going to have a break out year (for his standards), but that knee cap injury threatens his career as a catcher.

Edited by BearSox