Don't Mess with Sox Fans

MurcieOne

Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

Cubs fans can be obnoxious. White Sox fans can be vengeful. Here is one of those stories.

There will be no names or locations given in the telling of this tale. That was the deal-breaker for the Sox prankster, not when you're dealing with such creatively spectacular spite.

To begin, we go back to last June when the Cubs hosted the Sox. Two suburban couples, one Cubs, one Sox, went to dinner. The Cubs husband predicted a sweep. The Sox husband said no way. The bet was dinner.

Turned out, the Cubs swept. The Cubs couple would collect a meal.

Ah, but the Cubs husband couldn't leave it at that. He skulked around the Sox couple's house and placed a broom in the doorway.

Ah, but the Cubs husband still couldn't leave it at that. Attached was a note that said something like, "This is just a reminder of who the real team in Chicago is."

The Sox wife found the souvenir and the note, and called the Sox husband. Fine, said the Sox husband. Say nothing, he advised.

Ah, but the Cubs husband still couldn't leave it at even just that. When he got no response from from the Sox household, he called the next day to ask if anyone found anything unusual in the doorway. Yes, he was told. Let's pay off dinner, he was told. And that was that.

Except in the Sox household, where the Sox husband told the Sox wife that plotting revenge would require patience: "When the Cubs lose in the first round of the playoffs -- and you know they will because they're the Cubs -- when it's the most painful, that's when we retaliate."

Fast-forward to last weekend. The Cubs are swept out of the first round by the Dodgers on Saturday night.

Sunday morning at the Cubs house. A battery-operated CD player with a timer went off at exactly 7:30. A bullhorn is attached to the CD player. The whole contraption is placed right outside the Cubs couple's bedroom. Blasting out of the bullhorn is a very loud and painfully slow version of "Go Cubs Go."

"Go."

"Cubs."

"Go."

Ah, but the Sox husband couldn't leave it at that. No, as the Cubs husband sought the source of the noise, he ventured out to his front yard. There he found 100 lawn signs with nothing but a drawing of a billy goat stuck in the ground. Yes, 100 signs. For some reason, that number rings a bell.

Ah, but the Sox husband couldn't leave at even just that. No, there on the lawn, supported by two poles sunk into buckets of cement was a massive, blue "L" flag.

Ah, but the Sox husband still couldn't leave it at even just that. No, on the garage were dozens of posters that mocked Cub Nation. A Cubs logo with with a red circle and line through it. The Wrigley Field marquee with a nasty saying. One poster explained, "I'd rather have a sister that lived in a whorehouse than a brother that's a Cubs fan."

Much admiration from the Cubs husband: "All I could say to my wife was, 'How can you beat this?' "

Ah, but the Sox husband still wasn't done, and this was the best because it was the most subtle.

The address on the Cubs couple's mailbox was changed. The new number?

From chicagotribune.com

:gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3:

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Agreed.

If this were a serious "im gonna f*** this guy up" kind of move... I'd agree. If he took a s***, and used the s*** as paint... and then painted "cubs suck" in s*** on the guys garage... I'd be more upset.

However, this seems like a playful poking match between neighbors. It seems light hearted, no damage really done... I applaud the creativity.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
If this were a serious "im gonna f*** this guy up" kind of move... I'd agree. If he took a s***, and used the s*** as paint... and then painted "cubs suck" in s*** on the guys garage... I'd be more upset.

However, this seems like a playful poking match between neighbors. It seems light hearted, no damage really done... I applaud the creativity.

Exactly, both guys put some time, coin, and effort into it. :cheers

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)

Exactly. Even if the fans of the teams had been reversed, you have to give the guy his props. That is excellent work for a spectacular practical joke.

I'm just very, very bored with the Cubs/Sox thing.

I think the Internet is the main reason why. IN MYYYYYYY DAAAAYYYYYYY, it used to be that a few Sox fans gave s*** to the few Cubs fans they knew, and vice versa. The whole micro-analysis of how many column inches go to each team, how many minutes of TV time go to each team on the nightly sportscasts, etc, also adds to my fatigue over the whole thing.

Plus, it's just so pervasive on any message boards, I've just reached overload.

And Sox fans really shouldn't be too happy that their team won ONE WHOLE playoff game rather than zero. It's not that great a thing.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I'm just very, very bored with the Cubs/Sox thing.

I think the Internet is the main reason why. IN MYYYYYYY DAAAAYYYYYYY, it used to be that a few Sox fans gave s*** to the few Cubs fans they knew, and vice versa. The whole micro-analysis of how many column inches go to each team, how many minutes of TV time go to each team on the nightly sportscasts, etc, also adds to my fatigue over the whole thing.

Plus, it's just so pervasive on any message boards, I've just reached overload.

And Sox fans really shouldn't be too happy that their team won ONE WHOLE playoff game rather than zero. It's not that great a thing.

I think there's some satisfaction from Sox fans. They weren't supposed to be competitive this season, whereas the Cubs were. The Sox struggled to a division title but ultimately won it by beating the team who swept them less than a week earlier, winning 3 straight games against 3 different teams to get in, while the Cubs coasted to a division title. And the Sox have won a World Series within the past 4 years, let alone 100.

Sox fans seem generally satisfied with the season the Sox had; the Cubs should have nothing but massive disappointment.

This reminds me of the s*** I got from my Cubs fan manager at work this summer after the Cubs swept us. I was working as a cook at a pizza place on weeknights, so Monday I come in to find my cook's corner decked out in BS from him. A huge welcome to Wrigleyville banner, a drawing in masking tape on my counter of the field and X's where Aramis Ramirez went deep in the series; and of course a Broom saying some s*** about how the Cubs were the real team in Chicago. I just took it in stride and told him wait for next week; White Sox sweep. After that, I went into work and just said "How bout those White Sox?" and left it at that; which pissed him off more than trying to get him back I think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:30 AM)
Is that story an urban legend or did that guy really do that? If so that guy should throw out the first pitch next year. To wait and wait patiently for them to suck in the first round? What a mastermind.

It's solid truth there are pictures and everything.

I've seen in the past those who claim that the Cubs series is nothing compared to one of the eleventy division series we play yearly. Somehow you're less of a Sox fan if you consider a city series to be more important than an early May middle of the week KC trio... Please with this "I'm above this" s***. We all know and love Chicago Cubs fans, and as with any good friendship, the chance to rub s*** in the other's face can't be passed up. I recognize that the Royals, for instance, are our division rivals. The Royals, at least for now are a pathetic ballclub, and I would enjoy a sweep of the Cubs hella more than a sweep of the Royals. That goes for any AL Central team who is not posing a threat to the Sox. This is a creative and entertaining exchange. I had brooms planted in my lawn the weekend of the first Cubs/Sox series. The next weekend? Nothing. Their asses getting swept made up tenfold for every broom planted in my lawn. They counted their chicks before they hatched and were shamed days later. People pretending like Cubs/Sox is just another series entertain me. It's not, no matter what you say.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Can you imagine playing the Cubs 18 times like the Yanks must do the Bosox?

I don't know about you guys, but I wish baseball had a balanced schedule. That way we'd know really what kind of team we had. This year at least it worked out that KC, Det and Cleveland just weren't very good, though Cleve was good the last seven weeks or so.