Resolving Issues You Don't Agree With Your Candidate

Texsox

http://www.matthew25.org/

main_promo_bg_933x270_004.jpg

I am using this as a jumping off point for a question. No candidate can possibly match your beliefs 100% unless your beliefs are incredibly pliable. How have you resolved issues with McCain and Obama that do not match your beliefs? I find it interesting that a Christian group could set aside any Pro-Life issues and support Obama, but in the bigger sense I always thought it was a fairly easy step to take. Just like I'm concerned about a couple of McCain's positions, but overall prefer him to Obama.

not really. Nothing much I can do about FISA except start mobilizing some heavy opposition to when it ends in 4 years. I wrote a letter to Feingold thanking him for his opposition. If Obama tries to push anything with Ethanol through Congress I'm going to raise hell to my officials. Unfortunately, here in Missouri ethanol is so popular because it has revived many communities. So I guess I'd have to contact my naperville rep, Rep. Biggert. She's a repub, though, so it shouldn't be a tough sell. I guess I could go to Sen. Durbin, too.

Obama not liberal enough? That's new! :lolhitting

I'm upset because McCain is damn near my perfect candidate but he's too old and 8 years too late (and he picked a terrible VP candidate). He's socially liberal but also a strong Reaganite economically. I really don't think we'll find a Republican like him for a while - my party is stuck in the Bush mold for some reason. He's also willing to talk about the environment instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

But I have two issues with him: his energy policy (i'm 100% behind the nuclear push, 100% against more drilling) and his new mortgage bailout. I'm tired of the bailouts. No one is learning a lesson here other than Joe Six Pack's 401(k). We should go after all the money grubbin greedy bankers/investors who started this mess, fine the piss out of them, then use that money to ASSIST people in bad mortgages. I am NOT in favor of another handout to wipe the slate clean.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)

I'm upset because McCain is damn near my perfect candidate but he's too old and 8 years too late (and he picked a terrible VP candidate). He's socially liberal but also a strong Reaganite economically. I really don't think we'll find a Republican like him for a while - my party is stuck in the Bush mold for some reason. He's also willing to talk about the environment instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

But I have two issues with him: his energy policy (i'm 100% behind the nuclear push, 100% against more drilling) and his new mortgage bailout. I'm tired of the bailouts. No one is learning a lesson here other than Joe Six Pack's 401(k). We should go after all the money grubbin greedy bankers/investors who started this mess, fine the piss out of them, then use that money to ASSIST people in bad mortgages. I am NOT in favor of another handout to wipe the slate clean.

I really like the bolded above, and you are right. Those are two of the key reasons why it took me a while to really settle on Obama as my choice. McCain is, on SOME social issues, a little more liberal than his cohorts. He was also basically the only GOP candidate actually interested in the environment and alternative energy in some fashion. And yeah, the GOP is still stuck in the religious conservative control, though I think that is starting to wane (see: McCain's nomination).

I have plenty I disagree with Obama on - his cowardly FISA vote, his lack of experience, his bizarre tax plans and general fiscal policy, his overreaching agenda, his support of affirmative action... there are others too. But it really came down to, I don't have to "resolve" anything. I just need to choose the candidate whose total package - issue and policy views, leadership and management skills - was better. These two candidates are the strongest pair we've had in my voting lifetime (this is my 5th cycle). A McCain Presidency, leaving the disaster that is Palin aside, would not make me nearly as angry as Bush has, I think. But Obama is even stronger, overall.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I really like the bolded above, and you are right. Those are two of the key reasons why it took me a while to really settle on Obama as my choice. McCain is, on SOME social issues, a little more liberal than his cohorts. He was also basically the only GOP candidate actually interested in the environment and alternative energy in some fashion. And yeah, the GOP is still stuck in the religious conservative control, though I think that is starting to wane (see: McCain's nomination).

I have plenty I disagree with Obama on - his cowardly FISA vote, his lack of experience, his bizarre tax plans and general fiscal policy, his overreaching agenda, his support of affirmative action... there are others too. But it really came down to, I don't have to "resolve" anything. I just need to choose the candidate whose total package - issue and policy views, leadership and management skills - was better. These two candidates are the strongest pair we've had in my voting lifetime (this is my 5th cycle). A McCain Presidency, leaving the disaster that is Palin aside, would not make me nearly as angry as Bush has, I think. But Obama is even stronger, overall.

There is so much here I strongly agree with. Well, except your final choice. Perhaps I should have used a different term than resolve. I would really like a pre-Reagan fiscal conservative. Someone who actually makes us pay for every program. I have respect for small government, small tax Republicans. I have respect for tax and spend Democrats. I really dislike and have no respect for the don't tax and spend spend spend leaders we have been electing in both parties and I see the start of that with Reagan.

The business of America is business and neither candidate is addressing issues through that filter. Although I believe McCain has a slightly better handle than Obama. I also believe that McCain can successfully end the Iraq war quicker than Obama.

The only thing I'm annoyed with is EVERYONE's stance against gay marriage.

Seriously, at least allow civil unions. This goes for Obama because he too is not for this... I'm obviously not gay, but I feel that homosexuals should be able to choose whatever partner they want, and if they want to make the vows, should be able to get married.

It's the f***ing 21st century for Christ's sake.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)

See:

- Guns

- Gay marriage

- FISA

- Factory farms

- War hawk on Afghanistan

- Universal health care

- and now offshore drilling

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
See:

- Gay marriage

- FISA

- Factory farms

- War hawk on Afghanistan

- Universal health care

- and now offshore drilling

I'll second the "I'm more liberal than Obama."

I took guns off the list, because I don't know his policy on them.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I'll second the "I'm more liberal than Obama."

I took guns off the list, because I don't know his policy on them.

Honestly, there is a reason why you don't see the guns issue discussed much in here or elsewhere in regards to politics. its because no one wants to touch the issue. Not since the crime bill in the 90's has anyone really tried to make federal-level changes to the laws. Its like the plague - no one wants to get near it.

So, basically, the guns issue shouldn't really effect your decision on a President. It just isn't likely to matter. Court actions and local ordinances are more likely to have an effect.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Honestly, there is a reason why you don't see the guns issue discussed much in here or elsewhere in regards to politics. its because no one wants to touch the issue. Not since the crime bill in the 90's has anyone really tried to make federal-level changes to the laws. Its like the plague - no one wants to get near it.

So, basically, the guns issue shouldn't really effect your decision on a President. It just isn't likely to matter. Court actions and local ordinances are more likely to have an effect.

Yeah, I had one person actually say to me (in all seriousness) that he couldn't vote for Obama because he would take away his guns. I wanted to try to explain to him the very unlikely nature of this, but I figured I could just use the oxygen instead of wasting it.

I'm a gun owner, member of the NRA, and if they read some of my posts here, they would probably refund my money. The Republkicans will let me have my guns, but no land use. The Democrats will give me recreation land, but no guns.

And for the record, I am against guns for home protection when kids are involved. Start another thread for the whys ;)