The Art of the Pickup

Reddy

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
I dont understand how those tools can come across to people as believeable "pickup artists." I guess if you wear goggles on your head around the clock people will think women like you?

yeah, I wanna see the tall, skinny one wearing the eye liner walk into a bar in Chicago (without cameras around him) and see how well he does with the ladies.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
yeah, I wanna see the tall, skinny one wearing the eye liner walk into a bar in Chicago (without cameras around him) and see how well he does with the ladies.

Yo Hater. You just jealous of my guyliner and my dope fuzzy hat. Its all the rage at the 7/11 in my town. Word to your mother.

mystery.jpg

When you walk up to them, make yourself look real big, so they know who the dominant male is. Don't blink when talking, either. Blinking is a sign of weakness. And don't show your teeth, that's the sign of a witch. Also, if they are staring you in the eyes, don't break eye contact until they turn away, again, for dominant male. Make high pitch screams to any male that also walks up, it warns off other predators.

This is the art of the pickup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
When you walk up to them, make yourself look real big, so they know who the dominant male is. Don't blink when talking, either. Blinking is a sign of weakness. And don't show your teeth, that's the sign of a witch. Also, if they are staring you in the eyes, don't break eye contact until they turn away, again, for dominant male. Make high pitch screams to any male that also walks up, it warns off other predators.

This is the art of the pickup.

but i'm short.

Labeling it "art of the pickup" is correct because what works for some may not work for others. I hate, on occasions, coming across some type of show/special where there's a dating expert attempting to teach some loser how to become a ladies man. MTV had a feature about it on their "True Life" series and I honestly had to change the channel because it became unbearable to watch.

Here's what I know -- the act of picking up someone is developed over years. That guy featured in Mick's post above wearing the goofy s*** may have found out awhile ago that women are interested in him because they notice how different he is. The hat, the earrings, the lipstick on his neck, whatever else; it's not enough to have these traits but knowing how to use them to your advantage.

I think when teaching someone unexperienced how to get women, normally instead of teaching them pick up lines and strategies what is far more important is to teach people to be confident. As long as they believe that being themself will work, it probably will. There are obviously some exceptions to this.

In my dating days, I had a "signature line" that I would open with.

It would break the ice, define the nature of the budding relationship, and cut to the chase.

I'd just size up my lady of choice, make solid eye contact, walk up to her real confident-like, and just be all:

"so.......we f***in' or what....."

Hey, I didn't say it was EFFECTIVE, I just said it was my signature line!

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
I have never been able to pick girls up in bars. Not my thing. I can pick girls up in other places, just not bars.

Same here, usually at bars i've had girls hit on me...I find it easier to make moves at parties.

My whole plan is to be an asshole in a playful way. Just say things that are incredibly offensive. caution. This will only work about half the time. The other half the girl will absolutely hate you. It's a good screening process though. If she doesn't get that I'm joking, I don't want to be talking to her.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
Same here, usually at bars i've had girls hit on me...I find it easier to make moves at parties.

I have horrendous game at bars, but parties always seem easier. YOu tend to know mutual people and it makes things easier. However, I will agree that girls do hit on guys. It may not happen a ton but I know i've had it happen to me on multiple ocassions. It makes things easier but in general I have no advice when it comes to picking up girls from bars (never really done it). I will say this, be friendly and start up a conversation. At the end of the day thats all it takes. Oh and try to be funny if you can. Not over the top funny but it helps prevent you from coming off as a creep.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 05:40 AM)
My whole plan is to be an asshole in a playful way. Just say things that are incredibly offensive. caution. This will only work about half the time. The other half the girl will absolutely hate you. It's a good screening process though. If she doesn't get that I'm joking, I don't want to be talking to her.

It's amazing that this actually works. It's actually one of the techniques that Mystery teaches on "The Pickup Artist." It's called a 'neg" - short for negative. The theory is that most good looking girls are so used to getting compliments that they tend to just ignore them. When someone is less complimentary to them, it intrigues them.

I've used this successfully though I'll say that I was quite drunk, and I'm not particularly proud of some of the things I said. The girl, who I just met, and who probably should have slapped me, threw herself at me.

By the way, the show on VH1 "The Pickup Artist" is incredibly cheesy, but I still like watching it. If you ignore the dweebs that are on it, you could actually pick up some pretty good advice. Basically, you need to have a game plan when it comes to approaching girls. You have to be confident, you should have some interesting stuff to talk about, and you can't be afraid of rejection. It's not a bad idea to practice what you might say to someone before talking to them. It's kind of like getting ready for an interview. You have to make it sound like you're thinking of stuff and saying it even thought it's something you rehearsed.

By the way, I was watching the first episode the other night, and my wife said, "I don't know why you watch this. You'd never have to use this stuff." So, I've got that going for me. Which is good.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

My wife picked me up in a bar. :unsure:

^^^ True. To be fair, we had known each other as fellow grad students prior to that. But our getting together started with a series of random, improbable events including my car breaking down in the rain, causing me to arrive late to meet the girl I was supposed to be seeing that night, and the Future Mrs. FlaSoxx seeing me drinking a beer alone and dripping wet at the bar and, for hitherto unexplained reasons, deciding I was worth making a move on.

Damn, my marriage is actually just one long pity date.

:lolhitting