StatManDu

StatManDu

Wow ... I didn't think that topic would prompt such a discussion. That's awesome.

Here is a proposal I have ... Marquette, my alma mater, did this a few years ago (coincidentally with the same number) and it was a wonderful, warm and well-received gesture.

I put forth that the White Sox should retire the No. 77 in honor of the 1977 Southside Hitmen, arguably the most beloved (and most important) team in franchise annals until 2005 (bow in reverance). On the day 77 is retired, the Sox should bring back as many as the Hitmen as they can and wear those uniforms for the game.

Just a thought

Edited by StatManDu

South Side Hitmen didn't win anything, no way it should be retired. I don't care how loved they were, you can't honor them with something like that if they didn't even win a division title.

Indeed, a valid point ... HOWEVER, if that team hadn't had the year it had, the Sox could have gone bellyup. They had just come off a year where they were terrible and come within a hair of moving to Denver, Seattle or New Orleans. The franchise needed a year like that. Along with 1972 and 1990, 1977 may have been the most IMPORTANT year in team history.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 01:21 AM)
Indeed, a valid point ... HOWEVER, if that team hadn't had the year it had, the Sox could have gone bellyup. They had just come off a year where they were terrible and come within a hair of moving to Denver, Seattle or New Orleans. The franchise needed a year like that. Along with 1972 and 1990, 1977 may have been the most IMPORTANT year in team history.

If that's all accurate, I would have no problem with them retiring 77 even before 05.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 05:19 AM)
If that's all accurate, I would have no problem with them retiring 77 even before 05.

It is accurate up to the conclusion. The franchise would have survived, it just would not be the Chicago White Sox. And based on teams moving, even well established ones, retiring a number because it helped keep the team in a city, would seem really strange when they eventually move.

It was the team that sealed my membership in the Sox fan club for life, but I'm just not into retiring the number. A monument would be better and it better include Nancy Faust who was as much a part of those memories as anyone. In a sense every time we sing, Na Na Hey Hey we are paying tribute to the summer of swat.

I like the idea-I was there many times in 1977-a recovery year after the brief rebirth of the Richie Allen/Chuck Tanner teams. Harry Caray in his hey-day here-those old enough know how we had disappeared from the city's consciousness because of a very popular Cub team and many didnt care if we moved or not until that '77 team-saved the day until we had to go thru it again with Reinsdorf

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
I like the idea-I was there many times in 1977-a recovery year after the brief rebirth of the Richie Allen/Chuck Tanner teams. Harry Caray in his hey-day here-those old enough know how we had disappeared from the city's consciousness because of a very popular Cub team and many didnt care if we moved or not until that '77 team-saved the day until we had to go thru it again with Reinsdorf

Amazing if that would have happened, myself and a lot of the others on this board would actually be Cubs fans....

So I say, hell, retire it just for that reason! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
what about '93?

'93 was cool but the '83 team was the first Chicago team in the postseason since the 1959 world series. They won 99 games and absolutely dominated the league in the second half of the regular season, winning the old AL West by 20 games or so. Too bad they had trouble with the Orioles all season. If they had gotten past the ALCS, I think they would have ended their WS drought 22 years earlier. Phillies were decent but I think the Sox were better. That season solidified me as a White Sox fan.