Cuban pitcher immigrated to the USA

Cubano

Holguin Hounds Dimitri Camareno is in the USA. He came legally because his in-laws brought him, his wife and their son. He is debating whether or not he should stay in the USA and wait until 2009 draft or leave to a third coutnry to become free agent. He said that he throws 92 MPH with sliders, changeups and forkballs.

http://elduke.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/pel...ano-pide-ayuda/

MLB policies against cubans sucks.

Edited by Cubano

Something I find interesting is that we've put very little money into signing Latin American players to big ($500K plus) signing bonuses...with the dearth of high first round draft picks over the years, I would think there would be something of a focus here.

Maybe we can attribute this to problems with Dave Wilder, but it has to go deeper than just the Dominican, because we've struggled with Venezuela as well, despite Guillen being a national hero there to many.

I'm not sure where the lack of focus and attention comes from or if it is attributable to KW and JR's philosophy on spending or what it is...just kind of curious.

We've invested in a Korean pitcher, Brazilian (Gomes?), we have Silverio and Martinez who may or may not eventually make an impact...but you have to go back to Ordonez and Carlos Lee for some "born and bred" Latin prospects we've incubated from age 16.

Of course, we also have Alexei Ramirez, Tadahito Iguchi and Shingo Takatsu as more recent examples of international success...but no Dominicans or Venezuelans, which is about 30-40% of the MLB talent pool right now, along with the developing Asian market/s like China,Taiwan and Korea (and of course Japan).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
Something I find interesting is that we've put very little money into signing Latin American players to big ($500K plus) signing bonuses...with the dearth of high first round draft picks over the years, I would think there would be of a focus here.

Maybe we can attribute this to problems with Dave Wilder, but it has to go deeper than just the Dominican, because we've struggled with Venezuela as well, despite Guillen being a national hero there to many.

I'm not sure where the lack of focus and attention comes from or if it is attributable to KW and JR's philosophy on spending or what it is...just kind of curious.

We've invested in a Korean pitcher, Brazilian (Gomes?), we have Silverio and Martinez who may or may not eventually make an impact...but you have to go back to Ordonez and Carlos Lee for some "born and bred" Latin prospects we've incubated from age 16.

Of course, we also have Alexei Ramirez, Tadahito Iguchi and Shingo Takatsu as more recent examples of international success...but no Dominicans or Venezuelans, which is about 30-40% of the MLB talent pool right now, along with the developing Asian market/s like China,Taiwan and Korea (and of course Japan).

That's a good point. This needs to be addressed at Soxfest.

It's just logical.

1) The highest percentage of growth in baseball demographics is Latin America over the last 10-15 years...with the dropoff in African-Americans perhaps levelling off and eventually stabilizing with the RBI programs as well as the fact that basketball is due for some economic problems if the current economic conditions persist for a few years. You're already starting to see players go to Europe.

2) We have Guillen and Cora, who both should have advantages relating to Spanish born players

3) Guillen was the first Latino/Hispanic manager to win the World Series, and he has HUGE name recognition in Venezuela

4) We have recent examples of success with Damaso Marte (until 05), Alexei Ramirez, Jose Contreras, El Duque, Luis Vizcaino, Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin, etc....going all the way back in history to Minoso and Aparicio. Carlos Quentin sort of counts, lol. And Borchard's family spoke Spanish.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
4) We have recent examples of success with Damaso Marte (until 05), Alexei Ramirez, Jose Contreras, El Duque, Luis Vizcaino, Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin, etc....going all the way back in history to Minoso and Aparicio. Carlos Quentin sort of counts, lol. And Borchard's family spoke Spanish.

And don't forget Josh Fields enjoys enchiladas.

There are honeys every where. I am not a free agent anymore so I only look now. The first thing I learned in America was that after you married, it is cheaper to keep the wife than divorce her unless you want to live in a basement for the rest of you life.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
There are honeys every where. I am not a free agent anymore so I only look now. The first thing I learned in America was that after you married, it is cheaper to keep the wife than divorce her unless you want to live in a basement for the rest of you life.

LOL

Thanks for the life tips, Cubano.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

I thought long and hard about marrying a Colombiana (when I lived there for one year)...but not an "Americanized" Colombiana.

Muy bonita!

What do you think about Venezuelan, Brazilian and Argentinian girls, lol?

Isn't Eva Mendes of Cuban descent? I like her a lot.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
you should just marry her

Already married a Russian model...why not an actress, lol?

In all seriousness, I fell victim to "love at first sight." Men know we should pick the 6/7/8 looking girl (on a 10 scale) but we always seem to shoot too high, instead of finding someone we'd be really happy with, we get into the "she's a real challenge" mode and do anything to win over the most beautiful women, even though they are like empty calories or funnel cakes covered in powdered sugar. They look great, but then you're a little disappointed in the end and wish you chose something more substantive.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Already married a Russian model...why not an actress, lol?

In all seriousness, I fell victim to "love at first sight." Men know we should pick the 6/7/8 looking girl (on a 10 scale) but we always seem to shoot too high, instead of finding someone we'd be really happy with, we get into the "she's a real challenge" mode and do anything to win over the most beautiful women, even though they are like empty calories or funnel cakes covered in powdered sugar. They look great, but then you're a little disappointed in the end and wish you chose something more substantive.

Says the man with Jessica Alba in his avatar....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
I thought long and hard about marrying a Colombiana (when I lived there for one year)...but not an "Americanized" Colombiana.

Muy bonita!

What do you think about Venezuelan, Brazilian and Argentinian girls, lol?

Isn't Eva Mendes of Cuban descent? I like her a lot.

Mendes es descendiente de cubanos. Life without women is nothing.

South American women are pretty. I married a woman from my Caribbean hood, a puertorrican like JLo.