Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 02:06 AM)
That is a very good point on the SIU, I forgot. Do you understand some of the crap teams that Kansas plays during non conference. I am actually surprised Coach Jank does not schedule with his mentor.

That is why no one will play ISU. They can play all the crap teams they want with no fear of looking bad. They can play those teams and it still looks the same on paper as an ISU, but without the small chance of being beaten. Teams like SIU and Creighton don't have that problem as beating those two schools always looks like a good win and losing does not look as bad as against an ISU. It is all about appearances.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 02:48 AM)
so your AD sucks???

Yes and no. He's made big strides to get us back to a higher level of competition, but he has a stupid rule where he won't play any school without a return home game and will also not accept 2 for 1's, which completely blows.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 03:36 AM)
Yes and no. He's made big strides to get us back to a higher level of competition, but he has a stupid rule where he won't play any school without a return home game and will also not accept 2 for 1's, which completely blows.

Mario Mocca and SIU's previous AD adopted the same rule way back in the Weber years. Its rough for the first couple of years, but as long as your team takes care of its business during those rough times and continues to win, it starts to pay dividends. SIUs OOC schedule has steadily gotten better

The bad press for Indiana basketball continues: Eric Gordon says some of his Hoosier teammates last year [no names mentioned; current players exonerated] were on dope.

Kelvin Sampson tried to stop it, but was too focused "on winning and everything" [his cell phone?].

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11178479

I'm not a huge IU fan, but I feel sorry for Tom Crean. That's one more distraction he doesn't need.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
The bad press for Indiana basketball continues: Eric Gordon says some of his Hoosier teammates last year [no names mentioned; current players exonerated] were on dope.

Kelvin Sampson tried to stop it, but was too focused "on winning and everything" [his cell phone?].

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11178479

I'm not a huge IU fan, but I feel sorry for Tom Crean. That's one more distraction he doesn't need.

They said Crean knew about the drug problem before he took the job and it was part of his plan to force out offenders. I assume its just a huge weed problem.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Not condoning the drug use or anything, but Gordon should probably keep his piehole shut. He didn't mention any names, but was it worth it to mention anyway?

Not really. But thats not inconsistent with how he comes off to me anyway. He seems kinda like a whiny prick to me, but thats based on outside judgement.

This is not news at all. It was widely speculated that the three players Sampson suspended for three games each last year was for getting caught smoking pot. News about last year's team has no bearing on what is happening today, which is IU is getting their brains beat in while rebuilding the program the right way.

Two big yawns on that story!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
This is not news at all. It was widely speculated that the three players Sampson suspended for three games each last year was for getting caught smoking pot. News about last year's team has no bearing on what is happening today, which is IU is getting their brains beat in while rebuilding the program the right way.

Two big yawns on that story!

"The Indianapolis Star first reported the story on its website Wednesday."

This quote suggests it was news to the Indianapolis Star. The posted link suggests it was news to CBS Sportsline. I certainly had never heard any talk of this before.

Like the ads used to say for re-runs of Must See TV: "If you haven't seen it, its new to you." Boring or irrelevant as it might be, it was "new" to me, so I thought I'd share.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
"The Indianapolis Star first reported the story on its website Wednesday."

This quote suggests it was news to the Indianapolis Star. The posted link suggests it was news to CBS Sportsline. I certainly had never heard any talk of this before.

Like the ads used to say for re-runs of Must See TV: "If you haven't seen it, its new to you." Boring or irrelevant as it might be, it was "new" to me, so I thought I'd share.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Andy Katz also said it was widely speculated. The big news is that it was actually confirmed by someone that was on the team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Thats like saying its been widely speculated that there is a lochness monster so when they actually confirmed it was there it wasnt a bigger deal than the speculation.

The kid came out and confirmed it, and confirmed the coach knew about it.

It's not like saying that at all. The Loch Ness Monster is an extraordinary, highly improbable creature. Marijuana on a college campus? Very, very possible, and very, very likely.

It was pretty much accepted on campus last year that drugs were a huge culture on the team, which is why this doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me (well, not really) is Gordon distancing from it, since that's not exactly what I remember going on.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
It's not like saying that at all. The Loch Ness Monster is an extraordinary, highly improbable creature. Marijuana on a college campus? Very, very possible, and very, very likely.

It was pretty much accepted on campus last year that drugs were a huge culture on the team, which is why this doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me (well, not really) is Gordon distancing from it, since that's not exactly what I remember going on.

improbable huh? Thats what you think....

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
There were some major drug issues for Indiana when they were at the Sears Centre for that tourney last November. I can't believe that they bring in a former drug dealer/gang member in J. Ellis, and everything went to hell!

Yeah, I think we've all heard some story on the Chicago situation. I thought the rumors dealt with worse drugs than weed though.

Weed being used on a basketball team is not shocking, weed being used by college kids is really not shocking, and if you put them together, then yeah. If it was just weed being used, then it's just an excuse for the distractions catching up with Indiana last last season in my opinion. The bigger issue would be if drugs other than/more serious than weed were being used. And for the record, I've never touched drugs in my life, so I wasn't trying to give off the "I use weed and it's not a big deal" vibe with that commentary.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

riddle me this: If you're a normal student caught with pot, you get what, a warning? The 2nd time? Don't you get kicked out?

How are these guys allowed to not only stay in school, but get a free ride by staying on the team?

And I have ZERO sympathy for IU through all of this. It's their fault they hired a guy they knew was scummy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
riddle me this: If you're a normal student caught with pot, you get what, a warning? The 2nd time? Don't you get kicked out?

How are these guys allowed to not only stay in school, but get a free ride by staying on the team?

Because athletes have a double standard, we all know that. It takes quite the dummy to get caught smoking pot in college though, especially more than once.