Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
A win against Iowa State on Saturday, and the game against KU becomes one of the biggest games in recent memory, at least my three years at Mizzou. I will be more pumped for this game than any other game.

Besides the obvious rivalry, why so imporant. Mizzou basically clinched a tourney spot with that win tonight.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Besides the obvious rivalry, why so imporant. Mizzou basically clinched a tourney spot with that win tonight.

It's all about the rivalry IMO. MU always has taken a backseat to KU and now we are in position to actually be better than them for the first time in awhile. But, if OU happens to be No. 1 on March 4, that could very well be the biggest game in recent memory at home.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Good game tonight SIU guys. Good fight you put up shorthanded. We luckily hit all of our free throws.

We hit almost all of them in the Bradley game too. The reason we won both games, hitting free throws is key.

Obviously the Mizzou Kansas game is huge for who wins the North and gets the spot to the Big 12 title game. Oh wait, this isn't football. How does winning at basketball work? I grew up a Northwestern fan and Mizzou hasn't been to the postseason since I came here lol.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
Obviously the Mizzou Kansas game is huge for who wins the North and gets the spot to the Big 12 title game. Oh wait, this isn't football. How does winning at basketball work? I grew up a Northwestern fan and Mizzou hasn't been to the postseason since I came here lol.

haha.

you do know that you also have to play at the nation's greatest arena, AFH.

I see KU splitting with Mizzou this year, but Self is doing a wonderful job with thte nation's 12th youngest team and getting 75 percent of scoring from underclassmen.

I'm not sure how the Duke blowout will go over this week in their preparation for round 1 of Duke /UNC. You can't really get more ready for that type of game, but I'm sure K will be cracking the whip extra hard this week. On another bad note, the dismissal of William Green just shortens our bench that much more, especially after it was finally decided to go ahead and redshirt Ginyard.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
haha.

I see KU splitting with Mizzou this year, but Self is doing a wonderful job with thte nation's 12th youngest team and getting 75 percent of scoring from underclassmen.

dude, it's my senior year and the last time we beat you guys was when that white kid of yours missed 2 free throws to send us into overtime, and thomas gardiner was our star. But, also to be in the tourney too. God. Haa, before I had a college team, I used to think "with 64 teams, how the hell do you not make it in", and...it's hard to.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 03:11 AM)
haha.

I feel ya. I've been watching 2 freshman and 2 sophs score all my team's points.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
Loved seeing Duke get exposed as a fraud last night. In order for Duke to play as an "elite" team this year they literally need everything to go perfectly. Duke will be lucky to make it into the sweet sixteen again

Or to play at home where they get every call in the world. Here's why Duke wins a ton of ACC games and normally does very little in the tournament (i dont consider two to three wins each year doing much of anything when they have a one seed and play in north carolina for the first round nearly every year): 1) the rest of college basketball doesn't play the flop BS that Duke always gets (along with the other calls they always seem to get and/or not get, depending), 2) ratface relies far too much on guys that can shoot the 3, which is great until you have teams that can defend and/or you can't hit those shots, 3) They STILL don't have a big man that can really compete at the top level.

Anyone else think the ACC is slightly over hyped? I'm not saying that UNC, Duke, Wake, and Clemson aren't good teams, but ESPN would have you believe this is the greatest conference in the history of the game.

I hate UCONN, but even I don't think they're getting enough attention (though its finally starting).

Also, thanks Mizzou. A big win makes the blowout win by Illinois look even better. Speaking of, really tough game tonight up in Madison. I give us about a 30% chance of winning that game, and that's probably too high.

Speculation from Chapel Hill is that it looks like Zeller will be cleared for practice this week. It seemed a lock that he would be a medical redshirt, but now Roy has hinted that he may be back this year. He said that it is highly unlikely that Zeller would stay in school for 5 years and with Ginyard redshirted and Graves dismissed, maybe Tyler Z. will be getting ready to try to contribute by the ACC tournament at least.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
Loved seeing Duke get exposed as a fraud last night. In order for Duke to play as an "elite" team this year they literally need everything to go perfectly. Duke will be lucky to make it into the sweet sixteen again

It's the same Duke team as it has been the last several years. Win at home because of the refs, but when it counts (on the road and in neutral games in March), they are not deep enough, too short, too skinny, and not athletic enough. This is the 5th straight season they have fit that description too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
dude, it's my senior year and the last time we beat you guys was when that white kid of yours missed 2 free throws to send us into overtime, and thomas gardiner was our star. But, also to be in the tourney too. God. Haa, before I had a college team, I used to think "with 64 teams, how the hell do you not make it in", and...it's hard to.

You mean Sasha Kaun, and Thomas Gardner...big fan I see

At least Mizzou got into a BCS game 2 years ago, oh wait.....that was Kansas

Muck Fizzou

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Anyone else think the ACC is slightly over hyped? I'm not saying that UNC, Duke, Wake, and Clemson aren't good teams, but ESPN would have you believe this is the greatest conference in the history of the game.

Actually by watching they make me think that the Big East is the greatest conference ever.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
Why is Pat Summitt on my tv when I should be watching Illinois vs. Wisconsin?

Man, this is annoying. No one cares about women's basketball. I am sorry, good for Summitt, but who cares, it's still women's basketball. Gimme the Illinois game.