Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Either way this team has made some gigantic strides since last year.

It would be hard for them not to. Legion is obviously going to help, but I think this is just an NIT team. Still a definite improvement over last year, although the real fun starts next year and the year after when the calvary arrive and guys like McCamey, Davis, Legion, and Tisdale will be upperclassmen.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Real nice win for Illinois tonight

It would really be awesome if they could find a way into the Tourney this year. I think this was probably the toughest out of conference game on the schedule, so maybe can go into conference play undefeated. Also between McCamey, Davis, Tisdale, and Legion the illini got a pretty decent group of what will be upper classmen to mix with the upcoming good recruiting classes.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
So the final score showed destruction, but SIU hung with them for the most part.

you havent been right about many things, but you were right about the destruction part. ;)

The Dawgs were just overmatched by a much more experienced group

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
It would really be awesome if they could find a way into the Tourney this year. I think this was probably the toughest out of conference game on the schedule, so maybe can go into conference play undefeated. Also between McCamey, Davis, Tisdale, and Legion the illini got a pretty decent group of what will be upper classmen to mix with the upcoming good recruiting classes.

If this group is good enough to make the tourney, they are going to be even better next year and the year after than I think. And I have the 2010-2011 team as a MINIMUM sweet 16 squad, and certainly possible they will be better than that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
UCLA struggling against the zone.

Obviously comparing the talent level and competition of UCLA and SIU is apples and oranges (although SIU had a much tougher opponent tonight), but watching both of them feels similar for me at times in the sense that it feels like they are designed to play defense only, not so much score points. I know that isn't how it is, but it feels that way.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Obviously comparing the talent level and competition of UCLA and SIU is apples and oranges (although SIU had a much tougher opponent tonight), but watching both of them feels similar for me at times in the sense that it feels like they are designed to play defense only, not so much score points. I know that isn't how it is, but it feels that way.

I'll NEVER understand Ben Howland. He recruits bluechip after bluechip, and then muddles up each game and gives much worse teams the chance to stay in the game with UCLA each time.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
I'll NEVER understand Ben Howland. He recruits bluechip after bluechip, and then muddles up each game and gives much worse teams the chance to stay in the game with UCLA each time.

Agreed, and I think considering SIU's talent level in relationship to their league, they do the same thing in a lot of Valley games. UCLA vs. SIU will be quite the taffy pull.

Wow, Michigan defeats UCLA 55-52, HUGE win for them. Between this results, Illinois winning at Vandy, and Seton Hall beating USC, it was a good night for the Big 10 and a bad one for the Pac-10.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I guess I should also point out that Howland's resume, and three straight finals fours in counting, is hard to argue with. But playing that style and keeping inferior opponents close seems like such a waste to me with their talent. I don't get how he gets so many blue chip players knowing they will play that style, but to each his own.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)

SIU has been scoring a lot of points in the first two games of the year. Unusual compared to the last couple of years. Not sure if it was the bigger floor, nerves, or what, but they couldn't knock down a shot to save their lives. This southern team will put up points.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
SIU has been scoring a lot of points in the first two games of the year. Unusual compared to the last couple of years. Not sure if it was the bigger floor, nerves, or what, but they couldn't knock down a shot to save their lives. This southern team will put up points.

They got into foul trouble early and Duke took complete advantage of it. The foul disparity was huge, and I am in no way blaming the refs, the Dukies kept coming at the Salukies because the Salukis were out of position a lot.

Nick Evans was fun to watch until he got into foul trouble, but Tony Boyle was just brutal. I dont know what happened with Booker, he seemed to be doing well but then he went down after a play and never came back.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
Texas Tech beat East Central 167-115. That was fun and miserable at the same time.

I think our two teams are gonna duke it out for mediocrity this year.

We've got some guys that can pour it in, that's for sure.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
For sure, a close road win against a decent team like that is a good early season remedy to try and forget last season ever happened.

absolutely....especially give our home court advantage due to the acoustics and layout of the court....we dont lose at home very often...i would guess only about 5 times in the last 3 years...that said if we were to lose to anyone, im glad its illinois as the illini were my fav team before i went to college and are the team i still root for outside of vandy

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)

Well, as always I was rooting for whoever was playing Duke, but that game was difficult to watch. The SIU comparision to UCLA is a good one for me. I respect their teams, but it is ugly to watch them play if you are not a fan of that particular team. I would still rather see UCLA butt heads with the Dookies tonight, rather then Michigan though.