Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Who is #35,on SIU, he is god awful.

Tony Boyle. Yes, he is bad right now. He'll have a decent game once in awhile, but he is a senior and has been playing regularly since his sophomore year and has not gotten better.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
No he's not. Not if a team that is in need of a PG or SG gets the #1 overall.

However, he's a top 4 pick for sure.

The freshman class in college basketball absolutely sucks. Guys like Derozan and Hopson are mediocre so far. Speaking of recruits, I bought Gunnin' For That #1 Spot today. I can't wait to watch it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
The freshman class in college basketball absolutely sucks. Guys like Derozan and Hopson are mediocre so far. Speaking of recruits, I bought Gunnin' For That #1 Spot today. I can't wait to watch it.

This is going to be a rough year for college basketball in my opinion. The freshman suck, the 2009 NBA draft class sucks, and even a lot of the top players (here's looking at you Tyler Hansbrough, Hasheem Thabeet, Kyle Singler, Luke Harangody, etc) are guys that have little to no shot at being worth a damn at the next level, something that sticks in my mind if I watch a guy who is a great college player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)

I'll say this about Hopson... His overall numbers have been mediocre so far, but he has just dominated games at times. In the MTSU game last night, he scored 8 straight points in a 68-second span. Unfortunately, the other 17 minutes he played, he had 2 points. Once he starts playing a little more consistently, he'll be a force.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Top-3 picks unless something very weird happens are Griffin, BJ Mullens and Ricky Rubio. Thus far Griffin looks like the front-runner, and though he appears to have a ton of upside Mullens could pull a DeAndre Jordan I guess.

B.J. Mullens looks horrible so far. Brandon Jennings could be a very high pick, as could A-F Aminu.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
B.J. Mullens looks horrible so far. Brandon Jennings could be a very high pick, as could A-F Aminu.

To be fair, it's only been one game. :P I know he still has to perform, but the general consensus seems to be with his size and athleticism he won't fall far unless he has a horrendous year, especially given that this draft appears to be low on high-ceiling players. Jennings will be an interesting situation, on talent he could crack the top-5, but we don't really know if/how playing in Europe will affect his stock. Yeah, Aminu can definitely be up there as well, though as a SF he's going to have to dominate to go that high (which he is doing so far).

I could see Greg Monroe potentially sneaking in there as well. The general consensus is that he has the talent but hasn't always put forth the effort, and he appears to be off to a dominant start.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
If Legion comes in and fits well with the rest of the team, we can be talking about an NCAA berth

You know you're in good shape when you have to seriously consider who you will bench for Legion.

Mike Davis is just an absolute freak. He'll be their star for the next 3 years even when their top guys come in.