Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 03:42 AM)
Aminu, Rubio, Griffen, Harden (Arizona State), Patterson (Kentucky), Thabeet, James (Texas), Curry, Claver (Spain), and Jennings are probably the top 10 picks.

Patrick Patterson looks very lethargic so far this season. I've never been overly impressed with his skillset. Watch for Gani Lawal to be a lottery pick, as scouts loved him from the camps over the offseason.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Curry's assist numbers are pretty ridiculous. His PG skills left a little to be desired in the only game I've seen him this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a chance on him in a weak draft.

Yeah, he's off to a better start in that area, though it remains to be seen whether he can do that consistently while he's their primary scorer, especially since he's historically been better off the ball. I see him as more of a mid-first anyways because he doesn't have ideal height or athleticism besides the PG questions. You never know what years teams are going to break patterns though, at this point last year no one thought DeAndre Jordan would fall as low as he did. Plus after the first few picks this draft looks like quite a crapshoot.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
Illini 4-0

Not the only team in the state with the perfect 4-0 record as ISU defeats SMU tonight 84-73 to win the SMU tip off classic. Champ Oguchi, senior transfer from Oregon, leading the way with 28 points. Looks like we will have a very good team this year that could compete for a Valley title.

13 point loss to UCONN tonight in the Paradise Jam. Not really upset too much for some reason. Fell behind 24-7 to start the game and battled back to within 4 just before the half. Not going to win many games when you shoot 36% and allow the other team to shoot 53%.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Knowing NBA people someone like Austin Daye will probably make the top-10 and Stephen Curry will slide. I know he's by far the best scorer out there, but they're not exactly fond of 6'0" shooting guards, unless they're a superfreak like Iverson.

You are right on Austin Daye (he's a top 10 lock IMO between his potential and this draft crop, despite the fact I'm not completely sold on him yet), but Curry sliding is looking less and less likely with every assist he dishes out. If he can play a legitimately good point guard all season and into March, he'll for sure go in the lottery, if not the top 10.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Uconn v. Wisconsin tonight, I doubt that the Badgers can beat them at this point in the season, I just hope that they can go out there and represent the Big 10 well.

If they can play good defense, not get in foul trouble and Bohannon can find his 3 point shot, I think that Wisconsin can keep it close and have a chance.

But thats a lot of ifs, compared to Uconn just needing to play normally.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
Not the only team in the state with the perfect 4-0 record as ISU defeats SMU tonight 84-73 to win the SMU tip off classic. Champ Oguchi, senior transfer from Oregon, leading the way with 28 points. Looks like we will have a very good team this year that could compete for a Valley title.

ISU's non-conference schedule is pathetic.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
At least we're getting some votes and haven't embarrass ourselves in our meaningful game. Eh, Southern?

Eh, I'll defend southern here. They have only lost to two teams that Illinois wouldn't stand a chance against either. UMASS isn't a bad win either. SIU is still only the second best team in the state though. ;)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Don't let facts get in the way here.

At least Illinois and SIU can get some competition. We've played Wright State, SMU, Alabama St., and Houston Baptist. Dont worry though, we've got Nicholls state and Winston Salem coming up.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Eh, I'll defend southern here. They have only lost to two teams that Illinois wouldn't stand a chance against either. UMASS isn't a bad win either. SIU is still only the second best team in the state though. ;)

UCLA lost to Michigan but Illinois wouldn't stand a chance?

Ridiculous

Southern is going to have some serious growing pains this year, no doubt. Especially now that Nick Evans is rumored to have broken his wrist(hasnt been completely confirmed yet). I dont mind watching them grow, this year they are gonna feel out their strengths, the next two years they will take off. I think they are gonna have some exceptional games that are gonna be followed up by some stinkers, but I think the overall talent of the team is going to show in late January through February