Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
I'm going to jump in here and just say: ISU has played absolutely NOBODY and that can't be argued. But it also can't be argued that they have one of the best back courts in the nation. I honestly don't know how good they are yet but Champ and Osiris are that good. They'd be able to play with a lot of teams.

Agreed on the backcourt, but any legit frontcourt would absolutely eat them alive, and that includes Tisdale and Davis even though they are still young and a bit on the thin side.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
I'm going to jump in here and just say: ISU has played absolutely NOBODY and that can't be argued. But it also can't be argued that they have one of the best back courts in the nation. I honestly don't know how good they are yet but Champ and Osiris are that good. They'd be able to play with a lot of teams.

Illinois backcourt is probaly just as court when McCamey wants to play, not to mention the Illini's far, far superior front court.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Illinois backcourt is probaly just as court when McCamey wants to play, not to mention the Illini's far, far superior front court.

You can't honestly say that Ill's back court would be even close to ill st. The frontcourt is better, but I think ISU's big men are very underrated although no depth there at all. Plus Ill St. plays a 4 guard set, so that creates matchup problems that downplays the advantage. I think it would be a close game but ISU would win at least half the time. Probably more. I am a homer but I'm just saying what I see.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
You can't honestly say that Ill's back court would be even close to ill st.

Of course you can. When McCamey wants to play and if Legion is as good as advertised (if the Purdue game is any indication, then he is), Illinois has a top 15, borderline top 10 back court. That may sound like a lot question marks, but mind you they join two pretty damn good guards already in Meacham and Frazier.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Wow, the refs in this game should be ashamed of themselves. Non call after non call after non call. Lets just put on pads then.

Assuming you're talking about the Gopher/OSU game, definitely. It was terrible for both teams though.

Either way, big win for the Gophers. I know OSU is struggling right now, but they really took over in that second half and they finally showed some rhythm on offense. Not to mention the backups did a really good job closing out the first half, which is encouraging to see.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Assuming you're talking about the Gopher/OSU game, definitely. It was terrible for both teams though.

Either way, big win for the Gophers. I know OSU is struggling right now, but they really took over in that second half and they finally showed some rhythm on offense. Not to mention the backups did a really good job closing out the first half, which is encouraging to see.

Minny is going to win that game at home 9 out of 10 times easily. But the refs letting the game go in that direction is what can hurt alot of B10 teams in the tourney. There would have easily been double the amount of fouls if it wasnt a B10 conference game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
So far we have ISU as probably the best backcourt in the country, and Ill with a top 10 back court. Neither team is ranked and neither has a lottery pick on the roster. Is there some possibility that there is ALOT of homerism going on here?

Well that's a misquote if I ever heard one. I said if Legion and McCamey play to their abilities, which so far has not been the case, they were a top 15 one when put with two other pretty good guards.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
So far we have ISU as probably the best backcourt in the country, and Ill with a top 10 back court. Neither team is ranked and neither has a lottery pick on the roster. Is there some possibility that there is ALOT of homerism going on here?

The only reason Illinois isn't ranked right now is because nobody expected them to be this good this year. Hell, they still will likely struggle at some point during Big 10 play but they clearly have been one of the top 25 teams in the country. Just like the only reason Louisville is still any where near the rankings is because they were ranked in the top 5 in the preseason. That is a terrible argument to use. And for the record I don't think Illinois currently has a top 10 backcourt but there really aren't a whole lot of truly great backcourts in college basketball this year outside of UNC.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Well that's a misquote if I ever heard one. I said if Legion and McCamey play to their abilities, which so far has not been the case, they were a top 15 one when put with two other pretty good guards.

Of course you can. When McCamey wants to play and if Legion is as good as advertised (if the Purdue game is any indication, then he is), Illinois has a top 15, borderline top 10 back court.

Sounds like you think they are a 10-15 backcourt to me, but I guess that wasnt what you really thought.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
The only reason Illinois isn't ranked right now is because nobody expected them to be this good this year. Hell, they still will likely struggle at some point during Big 10 play but they clearly have been one of the top 25 teams in the country. Just like the only reason Louisville is still any where near the rankings is because they were ranked in the top 5 in the preseason. That is a terrible argument to use. And for the record I don't think Illinois currently has a top 10 backcourt but there really aren't a whole lot of truly great backcourts in college basketball this year outside of UNC.

So you agree there was alot of homerism going around the entire argument? Is that what you are saying?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Well, at least your football team got a good commit today

Yes, it had been believed for a long time that he would end up back with Michigan, but the last month or so things got a little hairy. Apparently, Big Will has a flair for the dramatic.

I know his is about recruiting and you can move it to the recruiting thread if you want, but how many more players does OSU have room for?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Yes, it had been believed for a long time that he would end up back with Michigan, but the last month or so things got a little hairy. Apparently, Big Will has a flair for the dramatic.

I know his is about recruiting and you can move it to the recruiting thread if you want, but how many more players does OSU have room for?

Hoping for 2-3 more. Even though Lemming said we are done (we are not) most Bucks fans are hoping for 2 of Boyd, Bryce Brown, Marcus Hall, Marlon Brown, and Corey Adams. Most likely they can land one, and I think its Hall.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Lick's a better coach than Weber, imo. I'll get shredded for saying that but he is. Whether he'll be able to recruit good enough at Iowa remains to be seen though.

BTW, I cant believe you snuck this post through the Illini buzzsaw.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
In a battle of who can get the least out of his talent, Mark Gottfried and Alabama is giving Ga Tech a beatdown. Hewitt trying to prove he really is second to none.

Yep, wait until the superior coaching battle on Tuesday between Hewitt and Felton. Unfortunately, from what I've been told, Hewitt will be given one more season after this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
BTW, I cant believe you snuck this post through the Illini buzzsaw.

Probably because it was one of the more idoitic things said on this board (no offense), almost as idioitic as ISU beating not only Illinois, but also Purdue (a whopping 30% of the time...). Stack up Webers' big wins against anyone in the Big Ten and only Izzo beats him, with Ryan a close second. In terms of overall career, Tubby would be 2nd, but he hasn't done anything for a decade.

And totally agree on the homerism. Homerism is fine so long as you can be reasonable about it. I agree that IF McCamey and Legion play to their potential (which they haven't yet, and there's no guarantee they will) they would be a top 10-15 backcourt. But about 40 teams in the country could say that about their players. I completely disagree that ISU is in anyway better than UI, including their backcourt. Tell me someone they've matched up against thats worth anything. Since you can't, your argument fails.

edit: "you" being kjshoe

Edited by Jenksismybitch