Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
If there are such a thing as moral victories, IU got one today. We actually played pretty well for once, and it was on the road in the Big Ten, even if it was a young Iowa team. Crean gets a blank check this year, so it's not a big deal.

This whole season is one moral victory, farm. It is what it is...........

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
BTW, I cant believe you snuck this post through the Illini buzzsaw.

I was waiting for a comment. Weber is solid and I'm not about to say that Lick is going to be more successful because Weber has been very sucessful but as a pure coach I'll take Lick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
I was waiting for a comment. Weber is solid and I'm not about to say that Lick is going to be more successful because Weber has been very sucessful but as a pure coach I'll take Lick.

I'll take Tubby over both of them :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
BTW, I cant believe you snuck this post through the Illini buzzsaw.

Lickliter, especially in Iowa City, will never assemble the talent that Jerrance Howa....err, "Bruce Weber" is assembling at Illinois, so it's kind of a moot point to argue who is the better game coach between the two of them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Lickliter, especially in Iowa City, will never assemble the talent that Jerrance Howa....err, "Bruce Weber" is assembling at Illinois, so it's kind of a moot point to argue who is the better game coach between the two of them.

As of now I'll agree with you on that. I don't know if Lick will be able to recruit good enough but they have a pretty nice looking crop of young players, all of which should be around for 4 years.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Some good Big Ten basketball being played right now. Illinois/Michigan has been a great game thus far.

Agreed, it's been a very entertaining game. It's amazing how much better coached Michigan is under this regime compared to their previous one. It gives me hope for when GT finally cans Hewitt.

Good game for Illinois, even though they lost. I really thought they played well until about half way through the 2nd half. Where was Davis today? Still too many errant jump shots, but they continue to show me that instead of cowering from adversity like last year, they play through it. They took 3 or 4 big punches in the 2nd half and responded. They just couldn't respond to the last one. Michigan looks like a much improved team, but until they learn to get the ball inside they're going to be a one and done. You live and die by the 3, which is why they can win big games but lose bad games. Still though, if you're a Michigan fan you have to be excited.

1 out of 2 on the road to start the conference season is great, especially when they started AT Purdue and AT Michigan with little rest.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Good game for Illinois, even though they lost. I really thought they played well until about half way through the 2nd half. Where was Davis today? Still too many errant jump shots, but they continue to show me that instead of cowering from adversity like last year, they play through it. They took 3 or 4 big punches in the 2nd half and responded. They just couldn't respond to the last one. Michigan looks like a much improved team, but until they learn to get the ball inside they're going to be a one and done. You live and die by the 3, which is why they can win big games but lose bad games. Still though, if you're a Michigan fan you have to be excited.

1 out of 2 on the road to start the conference season is great, especially when they started AT Purdue and AT Michigan with little rest.

Manny Harris, in my opinion, has been the 4th best player in the country this season after Griffin, Curry, and Harden.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
As of now I'll agree with you on that. I don't know if Lick will be able to recruit good enough but they have a pretty nice looking crop of young players, all of which should be around for 4 years.

Thats one benefit though, that the level of talent he will recruit will most likely stay in his system for multiple years which makes it possible to keep a program at a high level and also to teach your system to perfection.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Thats one benefit though, that the level of talent he will recruit will most likely stay in his system for multiple years which makes it possible to keep a program at a high level and also to teach your system to perfection.

Yep, thats why I think in time Iowa will consistently be an above average big ten team (because Lick will consistently have senior leadership on his squads and not have to go through any heavy rebuilding period due to players leaving early for the pro's). Now you obviously hope that he'll be able to land an above average (ie high 4 star to low 5 star recruit) every couple of years but that won't happen until Iowa can get themselves back on the basketball map. I do believe they are headed in the right direction and I ultimately hope Lick goes the route of a Ryan at Wisconsin who has turned Wiscy into one of the best coached teams in the nation who can win despite not always having top talent (albeit Devin Harris was ridiculous).