Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:17 AM)
I don't know how Ginyard & pycho T qualify as soft, and Alex Stephenson who transfered due to family health issues was a brute, but if you see toughness as a flaw in Roy's recruiting, okay. I think they will be just fine even after this BC lose has "exposed" their Charmin like qualities.

Tyler isn't soft, but he's also not going to be a vocal leader on the team when things are going wrong. He goes about his business and works his ass off. Ginyard is the exact same way, same with Lawson/Ellington etc.

Nobody on the team has stepped up as the leader since David Noel left. He was a fantastic leader in the locker room AND on the court.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
How Illinois is not ranked is beyond me. Beating a top ten team on the road with losses to 2 top 25 teams? Come on.... I know the polls mean crap, but it bugs me that the coaches don't show any respect (continuing to vote Gonzaga at or near the top 25 is laughable).

They were an awful team last season, and their one game that a lot of people saw was a loss at home. That's not a recipe to be ranked, and I think it's an exercise in futility to argue they should be ranked the day after a road loss in which they played deplorable defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
They were an awful team last season, and their one game that a lot of people saw was a loss at home. That's not a recipe to be ranked, and I think it's an exercise in futility to argue they should be ranked the day after a road loss in which they played deplorable defense.

I agree it's worthless (hence why I said the polls are crap). I was just pointing out the fact that Illinois not being ranked is a joke, further proving how worthless the polls are, especially when teams like Gonzaga are still ranked higher.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
Roy's "Charmin soft" recruiting strategy is frustrating. He ends up with a lot of good people and good basketball players, but none ever tough enough. The only tough player I remember him recruiting is Paul Pierce. Roy won't seem to recruit Paul Pierce, Rashad McCants types anymore.

Good lord this post is terrible.

We can talk about Roy being an overrated coach though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)

Well hey, at least we know you've watched your Illinois basketball this year. Just like the pollsters you point out that they lost on the road to Michigan, yet don't point out the win earlier in the week on the road at Purdue.

I mean what are we using as criteria for a ranking? Undefeated? I mean hey, if we're going to say that playing poor defense on the road at Michigan means you shouldn't be ranked, then Duke shouldn't be ranked either should they?

The recipe to be ranked is the fact that they're playing their best basketball since '06. If people would step back and remember how Weber's offense runs when he has the right personnel and how effective it is they'd be wary of this team. But I've obviously seen the hilarious "Weber is a terrible coach" posts on this board before.

Fact is, they're leading the country in assisted basket percentage...exactly what a good Weber offense does.

And really, leave the "they were awful last year" argument at home. You really think that matters?

Edited by gbuk

QUOTE (gbuk @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Well hey, at least we know you've watched your Illinois basketball this year. Just like the pollsters you point out that they lost on the road to Michigan, yet don't point out the win earlier in the week on the road at Purdue.

I mean what are we using as criteria for a ranking? Undefeated? I mean hey, if we're going to say that playing poor defense on the road at Michigan means you shouldn't be ranked, then Duke shouldn't be ranked either should they?

The recipe to be ranked is the fact that they're playing their best basketball since '06. If people would step back and remember how Weber's offense runs when he has the right personnel and how effective it is they'd be wary of this team. But I've obviously seen the hilarious "Weber is a terrible coach" posts on this board before.

Fact is, they're leading the country in assisted basket percentage...exactly what a good Weber offense does.

And really, leave the "they were awful last year" argument at home. You really think that matters?

I've watched or been at every Illinois game this year except for I believe three, to start. Second of all, Purdue is VERY overrated. They just lost the other day at Penn State, have no interior play, and will continue to be exposed as the season goes on. They are a solid team, probably a 7 to 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and beating them on the road is nice, but it's not season changing at all. I also agree that they are playing their best basketball since the end of the 2005-2006 season, but that has no relevance as to if they should be ranked, because they just haven't been very good since the end of 2005-2006 (even the tourney team in 06-07 was mediocre). And the fact that they were really awful last year DOES matter to if they are ranked. It SHOULDN'T matter, but it does, just like guys in the NFL almost never make the pro bowl during their first season worthy of it.

It takes a while for people to notice something going well, even with a program as good as Illinois, because the Illini were probably the 2nd to last team in the NCAA tournament in 2007 and were below .500 in 2008, so it's been a while since they were relevant on the national scene. Some posters around here are unbelieveable by the way, I am an Illini fan who has rooted for the team my whole life and generally don't "rip" them all that often unless the subject of Bruce Weber recruiting pre-Jerrance Howard or Ron Zook's coaching comes up. Yet the fact that I have a critical eye and don't wave orange and blue pom poms makes me some kind of negative "hater". Go figure. In the end though, whether or not Illinois is ranked isn't a big deal because they aren't even a bubble team right now, they are more like a solid in the NCAA Tournament team. If the Illini want to be ranked though, get revenge against Michigan and then win in East Lansing next week. That will get attention.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Who's your All-American team so far? Here's mine:

pg- S. Curry

sg- M. Harris

c- D. Blair

sf- J. Harden

pf- B. Griffin

Second team would be Lawson, McNeal, Jordan Hill, Singler, Harangody

Third team would be Collison, Jerrells, Monroe, Evan Turner, and Hansbrough