Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Who's your All-American team so far? Here's mine:

pg- S. Curry

sg- M. Harris

c- D. Blair

sf- J. Harden

pf- B. Griffin

Second team would be Lawson, McNeal, Jordan Hill, Singler, Harangody

Third team would be Collison, Jerrells, Monroe, Evan Turner, and Hansbrough

Hansbrough is guarenteed 1st team, cmon he is the hardest worker ever, haha.

QUOTE (gbuk @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Good lord this post is terrible.

We can talk about Roy being an overrated coach though.

LOL, overrated. That's fantastic.

Yes, a coach that was given the keys to Kansas on probation and took them to 418-101 record and the NCAA tournament every single year except his first probation year, is overrated. That's hilarious.

A guy that averaged 28 wins and 7 losses coming into this season, including the 19-12 probation given year, is overrated.

A guy that is 574-135 in his career in the Big 12 and ACC, is overrated.

Is he the best coach in college basketball history? Nope. But he's right up there in the argument.

He recruits good people and good basketball players and wins a lot of games. Not always the title, which is frustrating. But Dean Smith was the same way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)

pg- S. Curry

sg- M. Harris

c- D. Blair

sf- J. Harden

pf- B. Griffin

Replace Blair with Psycho T and you have mine.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Roy's "Charmin soft" recruiting strategy is frustrating. He ends up with a lot of good people and good basketball players, but none ever tough enough. The only tough player I remember him recruiting is Paul Pierce. Roy won't seem to recruit Paul Pierce, Rashad McCants types anymore.

Hinrich was a pretty scrappy player, imo.

Haven't seen any posts from the Illinois St lovers recently...

On a different note, Tennessee isn't as good as people were making them out to be. We're really young and obviously going to have off games against teams that aren't nearly as good. We haven't lost an SEC home game in 2 years, but I expect that to change this year. Oh well, as long as Scotty Hopson keeps playing like he has, he won't be leaving early, which means we'll be getting everyone back next year except Tyler Smith. That should be the year the Vols make some noise.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
damn and I was hoping that the Tenn win would be a good win come March.

Ill St. fans, I laugh in their direction. I love their coach, but to declar themselves a decent program this year before entering the MVC is a joke.

Ill St fans did run their mouth a lot, a little too much for a team that has the 246th toughest schedule in CBB.

I cant stand mid majors for the most part so seeing that they lost to a 3-12 team is very funny.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Ill St fans did run their mouth a lot, a little too much for a team that has the 246th toughest schedule in CBB.

I cant stand mid majors for the most part so seeing that they lost to a 3-12 team is very funny.

I cannot agree with you enough. I used to rip on the SIU fans until I saw them put a legit run in the NCAA tourney. The worst part is Illinois has an awesome team this year, and they thought they were better than them as well.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
damn and I was hoping that the Tenn win would be a good win come March.

Oh, it will be. Tennessee will still win the SEC and get highly seeded, but that's more because the SEC is really weak this year. I mean, obviously UT is pretty talented having beat Georgetown and Marquette this year, but they will be inconsistent, which is why they won't make too much noise in the tourney. Probably Sweet 16 and done.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Oh, it will be. Tennessee will still win the SEC and get highly seeded, but that's more because the SEC is really weak this year. I mean, obviously UT is pretty talented having beat Georgetown and Marquette this year, but they will be inconsistent, which is why they won't make too much noise in the tourney. Probably Sweet 16 and done.

I was disappointed by Woolridge in the KU game, his younger bro is going to be a Jayhawk next year.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I cannot agree with you enough. I used to rip on the SIU fans until I saw them put a legit run in the NCAA tourney. The worst part is Illinois has an awesome team this year, and they thought they were better than them as well.

I used to rip Kansas until they got lucky and won that little tournament thingy last year.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
Well, the greatest team in history has lost twice now and most of the UNC fans have jumped overboard. Fun stuff.

When I started reading this post, I thought it was about ISU. That's kind of sad :P

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)

pg- S. Curry

sg- M. Harris

c- D. Blair

sf- J. Harden

pf- B. Griffin

G- S. Curry

G- J. Harden

F- B. Griffin

F- L. Harangody

F- D. Blair

Second: McNeal, Lawson, Hansbrough, J. Hill, Monroe

Third: J. Meeks, E. Maynor, Collison, Varnado, Thabeet

Wake was the better team last night, no doubt. As poorly as the Heels shot they only go down by three on the road, though. When the Heels don't get many transition points like yesterday and the BC game they are very beatable. They predicate there dee on turning you over and Rice and Teague protected the ball very well. A bit surpriseing for Teague who is aggressive, but tends to turn it over a bit much. He not only protected the rock, but he abused Lawson getting to the paint at will. 0-2 in the ACC now for my vaunted Heels, but I'm still not terribly concerned.