Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love exhibition games. We won 101-43. Its nice going into a season not having any expectations. We have like 6 freshman who are going to see significant playing time, including Chris Singleton who looked like a legit 5*. Then again, it was only an exhibition, but one ESPN writer did pick Leonard Hamilton for Coach of the Year for ACC (not a very smart move, we're going to suck haha).

Media Predictions

North Carolina 480 (40)

Duke 436

Wake Forest 354

Miami 344

Clemson 306

Virginia Tech 298

Maryland 192

Georgia Tech 186

N.C. State 179

Florida State 145

Boston College 123

Virginia 79

All-ACC Team

Tyler Hansbrough, UNC *

Tyrese Rice, BC *

Jack McClinton, Miami

Ty Lawson, UNC

Gerald Henderson, Duke

ESPN/USA Today Preseason Poll is out today

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. North Carolina (31) 0-0 775

2. Connecticut 0-0 707

3. Louisville 0-0 694

4. UCLA 0-0 650

5. Duke 0-0 578

6. Pittsburgh 0-0 576

7. Michigan State 0-0 572

8. Texas 0-0 538

9. Notre Dame 0-0 525

10. Purdue 0-0 465

11. Gonzaga 0-0 437

12. Memphis 0-0 425

13. Tennessee 0-0 408

14. Oklahoma 0-0 387

15. Arizona State 0-0 304

16. Miami (FL) 0-0 233

17. Marquette 0-0 219

18. Georgetown 0-0 175

19. Florida 0-0 161

20. Davidson 0-0 158

21. USC 0-0 153

21. Wisconsin 0-0 153

23. Kansas 0-0 130

24. Wake Forest 0-0 129

25. Villanova 0-0 122

Others Receiving Votes

UNLV 60, Saint Mary's 59, Ohio State 54, Baylor 47, Xavier 27, Syracuse 23, Texas A&M 19, LSU 19, Arizona 18, Virginia Tech 15, Brigham Young 13, West Virginia 10, Washington 8, Siena 8, Kentucky 7, Vanderbilt 7, Oklahoma State 4, Clemson 2, Washington State 1.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 26, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
Verdell Jones was the best player on the court, hands down. I really think he could be something special. He's a point guard in a 6'5" body, great rotation on his shot, and was a lot better going inside than I expected. Also distributed pretty well. From what I read Dumes will be starting at the point, but I'm hoping for a three guard set with Jones/Dumes/Williams.

Nick Williams looked solid (everything I've read indicated he should be the best player on this team this year), about what I expected. Decently sized, moved well, Crean mentioned he might be playing more on the inside than on the outside.

Tijan Jobe is big, but that's it. VERY raw, and since he's a JUCO transfer, I'm not sure how much he'll turn into in two years.

It's gonna be a long season in the Hall this year, but I feel a lot better now than I did 6 months ago.

Liked what I saw of Verdell in Peoria and at an all star game. He seems like one of those guys that lets the game come to him. Takes what is given to him and makes it count.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
ESPN/USA Today Preseason Poll is out today

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

ESPN/USA Today Poll

13. Tennessee 0-0 408

I'll take that. Pretty respectable ranking for a team that lost all 3 guards that started from last year's team. I'm so excited to see Scotty Hopson, Renaldo Woolridge, and Emmanuel Negedu. They'll have there ups and downs as all freshman do, but they're all just so talented. Should be fun to watch...

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:34 AM)
I'll take that. Pretty respectable ranking for a team that lost all 3 guards that started from last year's team. I'm so excited to see Scotty Hopson, Renaldo Woolridge, and Emmanuel Negedu. They'll have there ups and downs as all freshman do, but they're all just so talented. Should be fun to watch...

You guys will be a good test for Kansas to see how the young kids have matured by mid season. I recommend you try to see the game live on Jan 3rd and visit the greatest college basketball stadium in the nation.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)
You guys will be a good test for Kansas to see how the young kids have matured by mid season. I recommend you try to see the game live on Jan 3rd and visit the greatest college basketball stadium in the nation.

That would definitely be a fun game to attend. I can imagine how awesome the atmosphere must be.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)

It's being played in Williams Arena? :unsure:

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:01 AM)

Wow, why are they playing the game at the Dean Dome?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Wisconsin may be a tad underrated, they lost Butch and Steisma but are going to get more athletic and have been getting higher level recruits each year.

Im thinking 15 is more appropriate as Id take them over MU right now.

?

for 2008 they are ranked 4th in the Big Ten and not even in the top 30 in the country. 2007 they were 5th and not in the top 30. For 2009 I dont see a single top 100 recruit for Wisco, and only 2 in the top 150. Where are these higher level recruits?

Well Rock:

2003: 1 5 star, 1 3 star juco

2004: 1 4 star, 2 3 star

2005: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2006: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2007: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2008: 2 4 star, 2 3 star

As you can see since 2003 Wisconsin has gone from 2 impact recruits to now they got 4 in 2008.

Maybe they arent flashy OSU prospects, but at the same time Wisconsin went 16-2 last year in Big 10, 13-3 the year before.

Those were the senior classes of the 2003, 2004 classes. Now every class has 2 4 star players, so for Wisconsin its pretty good.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Well Rock:

2003: 1 5 star, 1 3 star juco

2004: 1 4 star, 2 3 star

2005: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2006: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2007: 2 4 star, 1 3 star

2008: 2 4 star, 2 3 star

As you can see since 2003 Wisconsin has gone from 2 impact recruits to now they got 4 in 2008.

Maybe they arent flashy OSU prospects, but at the same time Wisconsin went 16-2 last year in Big 10, 13-3 the year before.

Those were the senior classes of the 2003, 2004 classes. Now every class has 2 4 star players, so for Wisconsin its pretty good.

So, all I see there is a consistent level of recruiting classes in the past which makes sense with their very consistent performance in the Big Ten. But going back to your point, I dont see this "talent level increase" unless you count adding one 3-star player a huge improvement, and for 2009 they only have 2 3-stars currently on board, although for 2010 they may actually be getting a 5 star which would be an improvement. To clarify, I am not trying to bash Wisco here, but I think we all know what Wisco is, a very consistently good team in the Big Ten that wins with good coaching and a tough home court. I dont see the Talent level of recruits having much to do with the success of the program at all. Shoot look at Bo Ryan's tenure as coach in the tourney. Second round, sweet sixteen, second, elite eight, first round, second round, sweet sixteen.

I dont think your getting the point Im making.

Prior to 2004, Wisconsin was lucky to get 1 4 star recruit and 1 3 star recruit.

Since 2005 Wisconsin has gotten at least 2 4 star recruits in every class.

Thats a vast improvement for them, its basically doubling the amount of talent the system was getting every year.

Now they arent a recruiting power house, but they also arent relying on walk ons to play valuable minutes either.

[Edit]

All that depends on what recruiting service you look at , Scout has them with consistent 4s, Rivals has many of them as 3s.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
It may be loud, but there is nothing historic about your arena. It has "magic" and you guys boo at every single call.

And the problem with that is?

The "magic" is that it lets seemingly horrible Iowa State teams compete with anyone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
I dont think your getting the point Im making.

Prior to 2004, Wisconsin was lucky to get 1 4 star recruit and 1 3 star recruit.

Since 2005 Wisconsin has gotten at least 2 4 star recruits in every class.

Thats a vast improvement for them, its basically doubling the amount of talent the system was getting every year.

Now they arent a recruiting power house, but they also arent relying on walk ons to play valuable minutes either.

[Edit]

All that depends on what recruiting service you look at , Scout has them with consistent 4s, Rivals has many of them as 3s.

You are right, I dont get it. You said the talent level is going up so Wisco is going to improve, but you keep talking about 4 and 5 years ago.

Because those are the classes that were exiting...

This will be the first time in Wisconsin history that at every level (Senior, Junior, Soph, Frosh) there are at least 2 4 star recruits.

I know thats not much for some teams, but 8 4* recruits being on Wisconsin at one time is huge jump in talent compared to the past.