Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Then again I would boo if I were a Cyclone fan also. You have won 2 combined conference games in basketball and football.

McDermott better do anything he can to retain Brackins next year. Otherwise, I really believe he will be fired at the end of next year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
He came pretty damn close to killing Brian Carlwell, who was in the hospital for a while and in critical condition for a couple days. Not to mention the fact that Jamar never deemed such a situation worthy of dialing 911. Not kicking Jamar off the team immediately after that incident was an absolutely indefensible decision by Bruce, end of story.

Oh, and the "best" team in Illinois looked fantastic last night. Watching them and Northern Iowa, two of the three (along with Creighton) "best" teams in the Valley in their brackbusters just shows how far the league has fallen. SIU needs to get good again.

You arent kidding. It was bad when they had two kids leave the program in November, the wheels shot off the cart when Mullins went down. Very sad end to his saluki career

I have the utmost respect for Dana Altmans ability to keep his teams relevant. The Salukis were in the tourney for 6 years and we thought that was fantastic, Altman is about to go 7 out of 8 years or 8 out of 9, I have no doubt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Thad Matta has really made himself into one of the worst in game coaches in the Big Ten. He needs to realize when his matchup zone is a bad strategy against a certain team. I think he still thinks Greg Oden is anchored under the basket.

You'd think after about 8 open flashes by Davis that Thad would change up some strategy, at least to confuse the illinois players a bit. I think he went man for all of 2 seconds in the first half.

Pretty typical Illinois game here. Getting whatever they want on offense and playing good defense. They're just hitting shots today.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
You'd think after about 8 open flashes by Davis that Thad would change up some strategy, at least to confuse the illinois players a bit. I think he went man for all of 2 seconds in the first half.

Pretty typical Illinois game here. Getting whatever they want on offense and playing good defense. They're just hitting shots today.

Its happened against alot of team like NW, Iowa etc that shoot alot of 3's and it kills OSU. Matta went to the zone primarily when Oden was there because he was worthless outside of the paint. Now he needs to realize that they can man up any team they face because of their athleticism. He literally has lost them several games because of his stubborness to come out of that zone. Today wont be much different.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
I thought Duke relied on outside shooting, Illinois has 1 free throw in 2 games??

We don't drive to the basket, but we actually have a ton of pts in the paint today. They just have been wide open 5 foot jumpers by Davis. You aren't going to draw fouls on those.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
unbelievable, if Illini lose a huge part is going to be by a nobody named Hill.

Pff there was no chance they were going to lose that game.

Matta goes to man defense at the 2 min mark, and WOW defensive stops, crazy! Hope you enjoyed getting outcoached on your home floor Thad.

Tried to throw it away with some dumb turnovers, but a good win nonetheless. That Penn State loss is going to bite us in the ass if we beat MSU. This was a game I was expecting to lose.

I still think those that think the big ten is overrated are wrong. OSU and Wisky are good examples of teams that can beat a lot of really good teams but maybe are too young to be consistent. I dont think the big ten has a championship team, but i can see 2, maybe 3 getting to the sweet 16 or elite eight (obviously depending on the matchups).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Tried to throw it away with some dumb turnovers, but a good win nonetheless. That Penn State loss is going to bite us in the ass if we beat MSU. This was a game I was expecting to lose.

I still think those that think the big ten is overrated are wrong. OSU and Wisky are good examples of teams that can beat a lot of really good teams but maybe are too young to be consistent. I dont think the big ten has a championship team, but i can see 2, maybe 3 getting to the sweet 16 or elite eight (obviously depending on the matchups).

Wisconsin is not a young team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
What happened at the end of the Illini game? I was watching the end of the entertaining Syracuse/'Nova game, and didn't know the Illini game was close.

OSU got 4 pts on a possession to cut it to 2. Meacham made 2 fts, OSU didn't score and then McCamey made a ft to put Illinois up 5. Diebler hit a 3 with a little over a second to go to cut it to two. Illinois got the ball in to Meacham, gave over essentially.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Krabbenhoft is a SR and Bohannon and Hughes are JRs.

Yep, that means they're in the upper echelon of most experienced teams in the country. I hate how sites use everyone on the roster to determine the average experience for a team. All that matters is the top 6 or 7 performers.

Edited by fathom