Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turner should have been aggresive all game as he was the last 5 minutes or so, might have been a different game otherwise. Still a very good win for Illinois though, they played a very good game and Ohio State's zone didn't stop Illinois at all (the only thing that really did was turnovers, many of which were unforced.) That Penn State home loss might be similar to the 2006 one in that it was a bad loss that will destroy their chances at a Big 10 Title (I actually think they finished 1 game out that year, so the loss essentially cost them a share of the title, although Penn State now is better than they were in 2006 obviously.)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Pff there was no chance they were going to lose that game.

Matta goes to man defense at the 2 min mark, and WOW defensive stops, crazy! Hope you enjoyed getting outcoached on your home floor Thad.

Yeah even if Thad likes zone, you have to play man against Illinois. They have NOBODY that can consistently beat people off the dribble.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Yeah even if Thad likes zone, you have to play man against Illinois. They have NOBODY that can consistently beat people off the dribble.

He really installed it full time when teams were violating Oden by drawing him out and going right around him. He then installed the 2-3 then the match zone. He doesnt seem to understand that teams like ILL, NW, Iowa, Wisco love to get open shots from the perimeter which cancels out any effectiveness of the zone. Its really frustrating.

Illinois' Big Ten Title hopes took a major blow with Purdue and Michigan State winning this weekend. That's a shame, although a team that fails to reach 40 in two full league games (one at home) probably doesn't deserve to win that league anyways. But at the same time, if they could have just scored 40 points against Penn State, they'd be three wins from at least a co Big Ten title the year after last years debacle. Three straight home losses to Penn State as a program is truly baffling though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The Gophers tore apart Northwestern today at home, which was really, really, really nice to see considering the fact that we lost at NU and have been playing terrible lately. Probably the best part of the game was Craig Moore getting completely shut out after tearing us apart in Evanston and being taken out of the game early in the second half and not coming back. He was whining and frustrated all game and it was great to see him fail miserably.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
The Gophers tore apart Northwestern today at home, which was really, really, really nice to see considering the fact that we lost at NU and have been playing terrible lately. Probably the best part of the game was Craig Moore getting completely shut out after tearing us apart in Evanston and being taken out of the game early in the second half and not coming back. He was whining and frustrated all game and it was great to see him fail miserably.

Crap talking a NU player, reaching some low levels here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
No excuses tonight@jimbo.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/ne...p&type=lgns

Sole possession of first place in the Big-12 is right there for the taking.

OU is good not just because of Griffin, they have Johson, Crocker, Pordillo sp??, Warren and the other Griffin. I would be a little less concerned if this was a seasoned KU squad. Thes are freshman and sophmores in their first really big game on the road. This is by no means an easy task for my Jayhawks. I would personally like to see Griffin play.

I dont give excuses, I realistically don't see KU winning this game.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
OU is good not just because of Griffin, they have Johson, Crocker, Pordillo sp??, Warren and the other Griffin. I would be a little less concerned if this was a seasoned KU squad. Thes are freshman and sophmores in their first really big game on the road. This is by no means an easy task for my Jayhawks. I would personally like to see Griffin play.

Oh I agree. Just saying the task at hand is a lot less difficult with Blake out. The other guys, of course, could use this as an inspirational/motivating tool and still pull one out. And they're at home. So we shall see. Personally, and I never root for Kansas, but I've run into a bunch of OU retards that I have grown to loathe over at one of the message boards at Rivals. So I'll actually be pulling for Kansas.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Oh I agree. Just saying the task at hand is a lot less difficult with Blake out. The other guys, of course, could use this as an inspirational/motivating tool and still pull one out. And they're at home. So we shall see. Personally, and I never root for Kansas, but I've run into a bunch of OU retards that I have grown to loathe over at one of the message boards at Rivals. So I'll actually be pulling for Kansas.

I am worried about Willie Warren, he picked OU over Kansas and wants to show Self what he missed out on.

I think KU's very tough non-conference schedule really seasoned these kids well for the Big XII season and leading up the tournaments. I can see improvement on pretty much every single player on the team, which is a welcome change that I love about Self. It was all too often you saw a player digress under Roy. I am extremely proud of this Jayhawk unit thus far, they have targets on their back and yet they play without paranoia, partially becuase they don't know any better, but moreso they are well grounded and fundamental team. Not a common characteristic for such a young team. Props are owed to Self indeed.

All that being said, I agree with Jimbo....tonight will be a tall chore, no matter which way you slice it. BG or no, the Sooners are coming off a loss, they will be hungry, and eager to show what they can do without Blake to a nationwide audience. These kids know they will be hosting the Big XII game of the year tonight...

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
The fact that KU is actually playing in a game of this magnitude is utter shock to me. I thought .500 int he Big 12 for sure going into this season, thanks Coach Self.

They have played well, but a lot of the thanks has to go to the piss poor Big 12 this year. Being .500 in this years piss poor Big 12 would be woefully underacheiving, even with the young group the Jayhawks have.