Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I assumed Memphis had a solid non-conference slate to back up the top 5 ranking considering how horrible C-USA is, but turns out they have only beaten one tourney lock, and one team on the bubble...and one of their 3 losses was to G-Town, who looks like they have little to no chance to make the tourney..

Wins: @ Gonzaga, Cincinnati

Losses: @ Xavier, @ Georgetown, Syracuse...

Memphis conference wins should count as 1/2 victories.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Memphis conference wins should count as 1/2 victories.

I can't recall, but I think I've heard that once the tourney starts it doesen't matter what conference one comes from. It's just one for all at that point. At least that applies to the Big 12 and it's down year, if I remember correctly..

Conference USA was pretty weak last year too.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Sure it's still a bit early with some hoops yet to be played... but KU won themselves a #2 seed last night.

Alderich is a BEAST that very few teams are gonna be able to match-up with.

LOL a 2 seed? We aren't even in March and Kansas needs to beat Missouri and win the Big 12 Tournament for a 2 seed. Maybe just winning the tournament will do it, but I would have to think they are on the outside looking in for a 2 seed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
LOL a 2 seed? We aren't even in March and Kansas needs to beat Missouri and win the Big 12 Tournament for a 2 seed. Maybe just winning the tournament will do it, but I would have to think they are on the outside looking in for a 2 seed.

There are about 10 to 15 teams all in position for being anywhere from a 2 to a 5 seed depending on how they finish (Kansas fits squarly among them). It is a bit like last year where there were four clear #1 seeds ( who all amazinly lived up to those expectations) then everyone else bunched as possible upset types. This year seems much the same with Oklahoma still being considered top shelf even with a limited schedule, as long as Griffin is healthy.

It is weird how everyone is saying Oklahoma will not be hit for being a #2/3 who just lost at home because Griffin was sidelined, but Kansas is getting the props of beating the #2/3 team and is expected to get the boost that comes with going in to the #2/3 place and coming out with the big win. In any case it was a hell of a game but it is MUCH too early to be thinking seeds are set in any concrete way.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)

There will be no No.1 seeds from the Big XII, I am fairly certain of that. The winner of the BIG XII will deserve and probably get a 2 seed. If there is a upset in the 2nd round of the Big XII tourney is the only way I forsee downward seedings... most of this is not rocket science, especially with the higher seeds.

Not worried for Kansas beating Mizzou... it's never fun to be a Tiger in the Fieldhouse.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
There will be no No.1 seeds from the Big XII, I am fairly certain of that. The winner of the BIG XII will deserve and probably get a 2 seed. If there is a upset in the 2nd round of the Big XII tourney is the only way I forsee downward seedings... most of this is not rocket science, especially with the higher seeds.

Not worried for Kansas beating Mizzou... it's never fun to be a Tiger in the Fieldhouse.

So since according to you Oklahoma will not be a #1 seed, who is the 4th No.1?

UCONN, UNC, Pitt and who? I can't think of any other team in the country besides OU with a legit argument for that spot right now?

OU is a legit #1 when Blake is around. In fact, I might have to pick OU to win it all in March.

OU has a dominant inside/outside game with Griffin/Warren both averaging over 15 ppg, with 3 other positions that know their roles.

OU has a PG in Austin Johnson that takes cares of the ball and runs the offense well.

OU has 8 guys that are shooting over .35% from 3PT, and 5 guys that are averaging at least a steal a game.

OU's downfall would be whenever Blake is out of the game obviously, but OU has enough outside shooting to keep them in the game if Griffin has to be out.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I can't recall, but I think I've heard that once the tourney starts it doesen't matter what conference one comes from. It's just one for all at that point. At least that applies to the Big 12 and it's down year, if I remember correctly..

Conference USA was pretty weak last year too.

The Big 12 has two teams in the top 10 of the Coaches poll.

Just like the ACC.

The Big 12 has seven wins against non-league top 25 teams.

Just like the ACC.

The Big 12 has three teams in the top 15 of the CBSSports.com RPI rankings.

Just like the ACC.

The Big 12 has six teams in the top 40 of the CBSSports.com RPI rankings.

But the ACC only has five.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
OU is a legit #1 when Blake is around. In fact, I might have to pick OU to win it all in March.

I am not disagreeing with your claim, but the committee will not give out #1 seed to a team that has not won their conference, especially one as mediocre as the Big XII.

I'd be willing to bet Lunardi has the Jayhawks at #2 seed with his next bracketology, and looking at KU's schedule, I'd be willing to bet realistically that's where they'll end up come March. Again provided no early Big XII tourney exit. I'd consider Mich State a much more quality loss than Syracuse was. Michigan State was touted to be a top 5 team all year.

Edited by watchtower41

The Big 12 has two teams in the top 10 of the Coaches poll.

Illinois 75- Missouri 59

The Big 12 has seven wins against non-league top 25 teams.

Illinois 75- Missouri 59

The Big 12 has three teams in the top 15 of the CBSSports.com RPI rankings.

Illinois 75- Missouri 59

The Big 12 has six teams in the top 40 of the CBSSports.com RPI rankings.

Illinois 75- Missouri 59

Lets look at some Big 10 records

MSU is 10-2 outside of Big 10.

MSU is 11-3 in Big 10.

Illinois is 12-1 outside of the Big 10.

Illinois 10-5 versus the Big 10.

Purdue is 11-2 outside of Big 10.

Purdue is 10-4 in Big 10.

Penn State lost 1 game outside of the Big 10.

Minnesota lost 0 games outside of the Big 10.

Wisconsin lost 3 outside of Big 10.

OSU lost 1.

Michigan lost 1.

Even NU only lost 2 games outside of the Big 10.

Lets look at some Big 12 out of conference:

KU lost to Umass who is 10-15

Missouri lost to Illinois and Xavier.

OU lost to Arkansas who is currently 1-11 in the SEC.

If you play in a really weak conference, your teams are going to get rated higher than if you play in a conference that is difficult top to bottom. If Illinois, Purdue or MSU were in the Big 12 they would likely have better records.

I have no doubt that the Big 12 will get a high ranked seed, I just dont think the Big 12 has done anything in out of conference play to prove that it deserves it.

Ok,

Michigan State lost to an average Maryland team

Purdue lost to OU

Wisconsin lost to Texas

Penn St. lost to temple and Rhode Island

I believe the entire Big 12 had a winning record entering Big 12 season, even the horrible Iowa State.

Illinois, Purdue are not very good to begin with and big 12 has very good big men who would destroy them. Carroll, Aldrich, Griffin, Davis, Muonelo, James, hell even Brackens would give them nightmares. Illinois stands around the arc and throws up 3 pointers.

Missouri also beat Cal and USC out of conference. It's not like Xavier or Illinois are bad losses. The Xavier loss was at a tournament in Puerto Rico where the Musketeers beat Missouri, Virginia Tech and Memphis in 4 days. Going by your method of showing the Big Ten is good you have a Missouri team that went 12-2 out of conference .

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Illinois stands around the arc and throws up 3 pointers.

3 pointers make up just 25% of their offense, which is 270th in the country. Yet they are 10th in the country with 61% of their offense coming of of twos.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Illinois, Purdue are not very good to begin with and big 12 has very good big men who would destroy them. Carroll, Aldrich, Griffin, Davis, Muonelo, James, hell even Brackens would give them nightmares. Illinois stands around the arc and throws up 3 pointers.

really? illinois's in the bottom three in the big ten in 3-pointers attempted. kansas has actually attempted 30 more 3s than the illini have.

try again.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
really? illinois's in the bottom three in the big ten in 3-pointers attempted. kansas has actually attempted 30 more 3s than the illini have.

try again.

Kansas also has players who can drive and attempt free throws, and rather large options in the post.

Isn't Illinois averaging like 35 points in their last few games and no free throws, how are they scoring?

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker