Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

If Illinois is as bad as you claim, then Missouri must be horrific.

If Illinois only relies on the 3, then how come they scored 58 points from 2 compared to 21 from 3 in that game?

The point is, it doesnt mean much to have teams ranked in the top 15 when all they have done is beat on teams in their own conference.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
If Illinois is as bad as you claim, then Missouri must be horrific.

If Illinois only relies on the 3, then how come they scored 58 points from 2 compared to 21 from 3 in that game?

The point is, it doesnt mean much to have teams ranked in the top 15 when all they have done is beat on teams in their own conference.

I think DanMan and I both posted good wins by the Big 12 out of conference.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
That game shouldnt have even been that close. IM hoping Matta is saving his real man to man defense for the tournament.

i can't see it. as a whole buckeye players are largely clueless defensively. lighty is good, turner and hill are ok, diebler has improved but is still sub-par, lauderdale has regressed, and mullens, buford, and simmons couldn't defend effectively if there was a force-field around the basket.

this just isn't a good defensive team whether you are talking zone, man, whatever. they just aren't.

i was talking to a friend of mine who gets over to practice from time-to-time and asked him about why matta doesn't use more man. he said, "because thad doesn't want to give up triple digits every night."

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
i can't see it. as a whole buckeye players are largely clueless defensively. lighty is good, turner and hill are ok, diebler has improved but is still sub-par, lauderdale has regressed, and mullens, buford, and simmons couldn't defend effectively if there was a force-field around the basket.

this just isn't a good defensive team whether you are talking zone, man, whatever. they just aren't.

i was talking to a friend of mine who gets over to practice from time-to-time and asked him about why matta doesn't use more man. he said, "because thad doesn't want to give up triple digits every night."

Lighty hasnt played in months. And if Lauderdale has regressed from when he didnt play at all, Im not sure he should play college ball.

They were a good defensive team in the zone until the Big Ten play started where team began bombing 3's on them all game long. They are athletic, long and have 2 good shot blockers. Man defense against NW, Wisco and ILL may have brought them wins in those games. Even the NW players were laughing after the game that they knew they could bomb 3's against that zone and that was the only way they could win.

Matta doesnt play much man because his rotation is only 9 players deep at most because of injuries and transfer. He believes that the zone saves the kids so that they can play the whole game, it doesnt have anything to do with them not wanting to get scored on.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Lighty hasnt played in months. And if Lauderdale has regressed from when he didnt play at all, Im not sure he should play college ball.

They were a good defensive team in the zone until the Big Ten play started where team began bombing 3's on them all game long. They are athletic, long and have 2 good shot blockers. Man defense against NW, Wisco and ILL may have brought them wins in those games. Even the NW players were laughing after the game that they knew they could bomb 3's against that zone and that was the only way they could win.

i'm aware that lighty hasn't played. and lauderdale was playing significantly more in the non-con than he is now. his confidence is obviously shot.

and i hear what you're saying on the other stuff. believe me, i hear it all the time because each and every buckeye fan is saying exactly what you are saying.

that said, matta is much more familiar with this team's defensive abilities than we are. don't you think he'd employ more man if he felt it would help the team win?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Just saw on the bottom line that Dominic James is out for the year for Marquette.

And that effectively ends their NC aspirations. They were already razor thin before this. Now they're Ally Mcbeal thin.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Gerald Henderson is a f***ing monster.

You guys have totally transformed since MK finally inserted Elliott Williams and moved Scheyer to the point.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
8-8 in ACC play will get a NCAA bid.

And since the mid majors wont be taking many at-large spots, 7-9 and a win in the ACC tourney puts us on the bubble.

Well if Dukie V keeps pushing Cincinnatti for the dance, you might have some problems, did you hear that motormouth tonight. :headbang

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
You guys have totally transformed since MK finally inserted Elliott Williams and moved Scheyer to the point.

Ever since the beginning of the year, I've liked Williams. He has so much talent but his basketball IQ is still a bit small- he fouls at wrong times, etc. I like what he brings though- effort on the offensive glass and he can shoot pretty well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 05:53 AM)
And that effectively ends their NC aspirations. They were already razor thin before this. Now they're Ally Mcbeal thin.

Losing your 4th best player to injury doesn't end your chances. Hell, maybe Acker can help stretch the defense a little more. And might I add that Jerel McNeal is amazing. He's been the best guard in college basketball during conference play.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
Ever since the beginning of the year, I've liked Williams. He has so much talent but his basketball IQ is still a bit small- he fouls at wrong times, etc. I like what he brings though- effort on the offensive glass and he can shoot pretty well.

I think it was more of coach K. being stubborn with playing his best players even if they are freshman. Duke is athletically challenged at the guard spot, but K. would not give E. Williams any meaningful run until it became painfully obvious that they needed to have him on the court. He is by far their best option to defend skilled guards as well, occasional poor fouls and all.

Vazquez sitting basically the entire second half was a killer for the Terps, as well.

Edited by JuiceCruz16