Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
Kind of random, but considering Ben Gordon seems like he is gone from the bulls. What type of NBA prospects are Gerald Henderson and Dar Tucker?

Henderson still is a tweener between SG and SF. However, he's going to play himself into a lottery pick. Tucker will make a fine professional player....in Europe. My prediction is Tucker goes pro this year, doesn't get drafted, and then leaves the country to get paid to play.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
I think it was more of coach K. being stubborn with playing his best players even if they are freshman. Duke is athletically challenged at the guard spot, but K. would not give E. Williams any meaningful run until it became painfully obvious that they needed to have him on the court. He is by far their best option to defend skilled guards as well, occasional poor fouls and all.

Vazquez sitting basically the entire second half was a killer for the Terps, as well.

It's something coach K does with very good athletic freshmen. He tries to "hide" them on the bench as much as he can. Elliot Williams had been looking to transfer before he magically went from getting a few minutes a game to Duke starter. Gerald Henderson got the same treatment as a freshmen. All the 1/2 and dones K had in the early 2000's really scarred coach K apparently in recruiting and in season play.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Wow. We won. I actually don't believe we didn't fully blow the game and lose.

We tried our hardest, that's for sure. Now we actually have something to play for on Saturday. We win and we're the 5 or 6 seed in the MVC tourny and don't have to play in one of the play in games, WOOHOO(wow, I can't believe I'm excited about something like that).

Heading off to Vegas tomorrow, my family is already there.

Anyone have any good betting recommendations for tonight or saturday?

Really wish I was in Kansas for teh Mizzzo game and the Kirk Hinrich jersey retirement. Collison, his good buddy is traveling up from Oklahoma City to be there in person.

Love those two guys!

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 07:50 AM)
Losing your 4th best player to injury doesn't end your chances. Hell, maybe Acker can help stretch the defense a little more. And might I add that Jerel McNeal is amazing. He's been the best guard in college basketball during conference play.

Doesn't matter that he's their "4th best" player. He was their best playmaker and perimeter defender. Acker has sucked ass all year. They had virtually no depth to begin with and now they'll be even thinner. I agree with you about McNeal. If not for Thabeet/Blair, he'd be my pick for BE player of the year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
We tried our hardest, that's for sure. Now we actually have something to play for on Saturday. We win and we're the 5 or 6 seed in the MVC tourny and don't have to play in one of the play in games, WOOHOO(wow, I can't believe I'm excited about something like that).

Agreed, I'll be there Saturday, as I have been all season. I'm still gonna support this team as much as I can, the future is bright, and I'm just a freshman. Wichita has been playing really good lately, and it's so hard to play with 8 players. What made me happy was that we actually played D last night.

Absolutely pathetic performance by the Minnesota guards today, but at least DJ looked like he cared. DJ was the best player out there without a doubt, and while Iverson and Sampson plays alright inside, it's not enough when your guards play as terrible as they did today.

Big win by Miami tonight. Played like crap for 38 minutes but McClinto scores the final 5 points in a 62-55 win. 6-8 in ACC keeps our slim hopes alive.

I use to be pissed at my cable company for not offering the Big 10 Network for free but I dont think I'm missing much with all the games finishing in the 90s this season.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
Absolutely pathetic performance by the Minnesota guards today, but at least DJ looked like he cared. DJ was the best player out there without a doubt, and while Iverson and Sampson plays alright inside, it's not enough when your guards play as terrible as they did today.

Its hard to watch Iverson's ugly face on TV.

For the good of basketball fans everywhere, Illinois and Minnesota really need to not face each other again this year.

Despite the game being really ugly for long stretches it was still a really big win tonight for Illinois because this seals a tourney berth and also gives Illinois an outside chance at a Big 10 title if they win out. Never would have expected we would have an outside shot at a Big 10 title at this point in the season coming into the year.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
UCONN drops 1 spot, MSU shouldn't be in the top 10, and Duke only moves up 2 spots with a home offensive explosion against a tough team in Wake + a win at MSG against SJU.

All those are mistakes.

So your saying a team with the best record in the country against the RPI top 50, shouldn`t be in the top 10, a win against A good Wake team at home, and a win against a terrible team on a neutral court should move you up farther than 2 spots without mentioning who else you should have passed. Try and keep your ACC bias on an even keel. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)

We've been shuttin' down other team's best backourt players all year. If Chester Frazier doesn't win Big-10 DPOY the award needs to be abolished. And that's not me being a homer. I actually thought JaJuan Johnson was the front-runner a few weeks ago. But Chet is just lockin' up everybody right now.

And big ups to Bruce Weber for his post-game response after being asked for the 52747437584584458 time why Big-10 games are so ugly/low scoring.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
We've been shuttin' down other team's best backourt players all year. If Chester Frazier doesn't win Big-10 DPOY the award needs to be abolished. And that's not me being a homer. I actually thought JaJuan Johnson was the front-runner a few weeks ago. But Chet is just lockin' up everybody right now.

And big ups to Bruce Weber for his post-game response after being asked for the 52747437584584458 time why Big-10 games are so ugly/low scoring.

yeah, i was happy he called out dutcher for his stupid remarks. dude won one big ten title in 11 seasons so he probably isn't the guy to be critiquing the offense of a guy who's already won two in half the time and gone further in the ncaas than he ever did.

jim dutcher should stfu.

Edited by thedoctor

I am going to be fascinated to see how the Big 10 does in the NCAA Tournament. It's hard to argue with the numbers that say the Big 10 is a very good league this year, but it's hard to rip on anybody who says Big 10 basketball is ugly and difficult to watch because it really is. Thank God NCAA basketball has a tournament that helps settle things and we get to find out just how good the Big 10 is in March.