Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Michigan's in...those two OOC wins are two of the best for anyone.

I agree. But all the "experts" say they are one of the last ones out.

Watch SIU shock the world and win the MV...ah forget it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
I am going to be fascinated to see how the Big 10 does in the NCAA Tournament. It's hard to argue with the numbers that say the Big 10 is a very good league this year, but it's hard to rip on anybody who says Big 10 basketball is ugly and difficult to watch because it really is. Thank God NCAA basketball has a tournament that helps settle things and we get to find out just how good the Big 10 is in March.

It really depends on the refs they get for each game. The Big Ten plays a very physical style of ball defensively and if the refs let some contact go, they can give teams trouble. If they call touch fouls for any reason, the team will be in foul trouble and will be done most likely.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
It really depends on the refs they get for each game. The Big Ten plays a very physical style of ball defensively and if the refs let some contact go, they can give teams trouble. If they call touch fouls for any reason, the team will be in foul trouble and will be done most likely.

That's what will happen and why the Big 10 will struggle in my opinion, because that is what usually happens. One of the Big 10's biggest problems is it has a TERRIBLE set of refs who won't call fouls. Until the Big 10 comes up with refs who call the game like most 21st century refs do (aka the refs in every other conference), then out of conference play and tournament play will be a culture shock.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 05:16 AM)
We've been shuttin' down other team's best backourt players all year. If Chester Frazier doesn't win Big-10 DPOY the award needs to be abolished. And that's not me being a homer. I actually thought JaJuan Johnson was the front-runner a few weeks ago. But Chet is just lockin' up everybody right now.

Damian Johnson says hi.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
Tell him I said hi back. And he's definitely one of the better defenders in the conference. But it should come down to Chester/Johnson.

DJ is #3 in the Big Ten in steal percentage and #2 in the Big Ten in block percentage, above both Chester Taylor and JuJuan Johnson in both categories. That plus his pure dominance on the floor defensively is enough to convince me that he's the most deserving candidate in the conference.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
DJ is #3 in the Big Ten in steal percentage and #2 in the Big Ten in block percentage, above both Chester Taylor and JuJuan Johnson in both categories. That plus his pure dominance on the floor defensively is enough to convince me that he's the most deserving candidate in the conference.

Pure dominance? Let's not get crazy now. You can use the word "dominance" when talking about somebody like Thabeet. Not Johnson. As good as he is. And the steals/blocks are nice. But there's obviously a lot more that goes into it, otherwise Bruce Bowen is not much of a defender. Chet can effectively guard multiple positions and has consistently locked up some of the best perimeter scorers the conference has to offer.

Here's a little piece from a recent Rivals article.

Frazier averages only 5.4 points per game, but he also keeps Big Ten opponents from scoring much. Frazier has shut down some of the Big Ten's top players. He held Ohio State's Evan Turner to a season-low four points on 2-for-7 shooting. He hounded Purdue's E'Twaun Moore into a 2-for-9, six-point performance. With Frazier defending them most of the way, Michigan State's Kalin Lucas shot 3-for-10 and Penn State's Talor Battle was 3-for-11 against Illinois. Frazier is versatile enough to have defended guys who play every position but center.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=915064

Here's another piece from a dailyherald article a few weeks back.

So I'm loitering around a few NBA scouts the other day. These are guys who go all over the Midwest checking out players and filing reports. It's frightening how well they can break down everyone's game with one or two views.

I'm not saying they're looking at Illinois senior guard Chester Frazier as an NBA prospect. Not many 6-foot-2 guys averaging 5.3 points per game make it in The League. But here's what one scout said, more or less (I didn't write it down), and the others agreed:

"The test for whether you can make the NBA is if you can score on Chester Frazier."

Frazier, if you haven't been paying attention (and the NBA scouts have), has been shutting down guys of all shapes and sizes. You'll know who Illinois regards as the bigger Northwestern threat tonight by whether Frazier guards Craig Moore or Kevin Coble.

Anyway, here's what recent Frazier defendees have done in reverse chronological order:

--Purdue's E'Twaun Moore: 6 points on 2-for-9 shooting.

--Wisconsin's Trevon Hughes: 0 points on 0-for-7 shooting.

--I can't remember who he guarded against Iowa. Might've been Peterson, who was really quick and got 12 points (on 5 of 13 shooting) with 6 assists.

--Hughes: 13 points on 5 of 13 shooting. 1 assist.

--OSU's Evan Turner: 4 points on 2-of-7 shooting. Since that game, Turner has been on a rampage and made himself a favorite for Big Ten Player of the Year.

--MSU's Kalin Lucas: 10 points on 3 of 13 shooting.

And so on and so forth. Let's just say that Purdue's Chris Kramer is a terrific, meticulous, ferocious, PHYSICAL defender. He deserved his Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year award last season.

Chester Frazier deserves it this year.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1414

Not saying any of this makes Chet a lock to win the award. Just that he has as good a case, if not stronger, than any other player in the conference.

Edited by Jordan4life

That's what will happen and why the Big 10 will struggle in my opinion, because that is what usually happens. One of the Big 10's biggest problems is it has a TERRIBLE set of refs who won't call fouls. Until the Big 10 comes up with refs who call the game like most 21st century refs do (aka the refs in every other conference), then out of conference play and tournament play will be a culture shock.

Or when they get in a game which is called tighter they score way more points, aka OSU during 2006-7, when they scored 85 and 92 points against Tenn and Memphis respectively. In a Big 10 game that year OSU only scored 49 points in a winning effort against Wisconsin.

Its a lot easier to score when you arent playing some of the better defensive teams in the league. It just depends on the individual match ups, if Wisconsin gets a team who likes a high pace but plays out of control, their system gives them a great chance for an upset.

Shooters can go hot and cold, but defense is just hustle and discipline.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Or when they get in a game which is called tighter they score way more points, aka OSU during 2006-7, when they scored 85 and 92 points against Tenn and Memphis respectively. In a Big 10 game that year OSU only scored 49 points in a winning effort against Wisconsin.

Its a lot easier to score when you arent playing some of the better defensive teams in the league. It just depends on the individual match ups, if Wisconsin gets a team who likes a high pace but plays out of control, their system gives them a great chance for an upset.

Shooters can go hot and cold, but defense is just hustle and discipline.

There isn't a team in the Big 10 this year that is anywhere near as talented as Ohio State was 2 years ago, so I can't go with that comparison. Plus, I'm going to assume based on the way you referenced it that OSU shot a lot of free throws in the Memphis and Tennessee games, but I'm sure the pace of the game was also far faster than Ohio State played in Big 10 games, which is the main reason those games were so high scoring. The Big 10 is as good top to bottom as it's been in a while, but it simply isn't a very good league at the top in my opinion and I think the way league games are played (and called by refs) is going to hurt the league and it's teams in the NCAA Tournament. We'll know 3 or 4 weeks from now if I am right or not though, which is the beauty of the tournament.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
How Big 10 teams do will more depend on the match ups than on how the refs call the game.

So the tournament isnt really going to prove anything, unless a bunch of Big 10 teams get in foul trouble.

So if the Big 10 does poorly or well in the NCAA Tournament, it won't prove anything? I couldn't disagree more, the power or lack thereof of conferences in college basketball depends on what happens in the NCAA Tournament in my opinion, similar to what happens in bowl games in football. Yes it's all about the matchups in individual games, but overall as a league, you better peform in the postseason.