Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Scheyer was getting mugged the entire time, so to me that's a foul before it was ever a travel. The fact the refs called nothing for several seconds is awful either way, call SOMETHING.

He travels before he is even touched in that replay.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Sounds like the talk of a man who's team is getting taken to the woodshed.

Watch Aldrich and tell me an offensive move he possesses. He gets open away from the ball when Collins or his teammates penetrate and find him.

Also, Kansas' student section chanting overrated to a team that beat them earlier this season. Hilarious.

Bruce Pearl runs his record to 7-1 against Florida.

The SEC is hard to figure out. LSU is the only lock in that conference. Kentucky will always get in if they win 9 games which they will this year.

That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida fighting for 2 spots.

This conference barely deserves 4 teams, if this conference gets a 5th bid then that is complete BS.

Either way, that is going to be one insane conference tourney.

Edited by zenryan

Absolutely huge win for Tennessee today. If only our football team could dominate Florida like our basketball team has the last few years...

As long as we win our last 2 games, we'll finish 1st in the SEC East. Couple that with at least 1 win in the SEC tourney and I'd feel good about our chances of making the NCAA Tournament. May be a 7 or 8 seed, but I'd be fine with that. TN is a dangerous team. When they play well, they can beat a lot of teams.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
The NCAA really needs to change the interpretation of what an intentional foul is this offseason.

Agreed, too many fouls being called an intentional late in the game. The refs have to know that those fouls are destroying any chance at a comeback far too often.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Watch Aldrich and tell me an offensive move he possesses. He gets open away from the ball when Collins or his teammates penetrate and find him.

Also, Kansas' student section chanting overrated to a team that beat them earlier this season. Hilarious.

Cole Aldrich is an incredibly improved player, bitterness over an ass kicking from a Mizzou fan be damned. I can't speak for his specific offensive moves, but he's a lot better this year. And, well.....Missouri IS overrated. You may have had an incredible home comeback against Kansas earlier this season because they fell asleep with a huge lead, but they are still the better team and Missouri is still overrated right now.

As for Illinois today, it is clear that they lost to a better team. Illinois is incredibly improved this year and well coached, but they just don't have the players to beat a Michigan State right now unless the Spartans are having an off day or dealing with injuries, and neither was the case today. Hopefully they can get a revenge win and a good win at Penn State, and the Spartans do their part and beat Purdue so the Illini will be the #2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Cole Aldrich is an incredibly improved player, bitterness over an ass kicking from a Mizzou fan be damned. I can't speak for his specific offensive moves, but he's a lot better this year. And, well.....Missouri IS overrated. You may have had an incredible home comeback against Kansas earlier this season because they fell asleep with a huge lead, but they are still the better team and Missouri is still overrated right now.

As for Illinois today, it is clear that they lost to a better team. Illinois is incredibly improved this year and well coached, but they just don't have the players to beat a Michigan State right now unless the Spartans are having an off day or dealing with injuries, and neither was the case today. Hopefully they can get a revenge win and a good win at Penn State, and the Spartans do their part and beat Purdue so the Illini will be the #2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

Illinois had every chance to beat MSU today but McCamey was horrible and Trent missed two wide open threes when the game was tied at 58 that were momentum killers. I actually liked the way the game was officiated (minus Hightowers usual horrendous calls) today because it kept the game from resembling a football game like the games against Minnesota. Amazing how much better Big 10 games look when guys aren't allowed to mug the offensive players on every play.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)

Improvement and defensive prowess don't point to any offensive ability though. He is a poor man's Tyson Chandler. Where's Jimbo? Usually he would have talked random s*** by now to try to piss me off.

Hello boys, was in Vegas this weekend. I was only able to catch the first half of the game, CBS changed coverage because of the absolute pounding. In terms of Aldrich, I agree and disagree. I believe he has improved offensively and defensively more than any big man in the nation. If you are determining today as his offensive status, its hard when we are beating the press and throwing alley oops. He has developed a very nice outside jumper, but definitely has to work on his low post moves. That is why most of us think he is coming back next year, one more year with Danny Manning is never bad.

rock chalk!!!!

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
Bruce Pearl runs his record to 7-1 against Florida.

The SEC is hard to figure out. LSU is the only lock in that conference. Kentucky will always get in if they win 9 games which they will this year.

That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida fighting for 2 spots.

This conference barely deserves 4 teams, if this conference gets a 5th bid then that is complete BS.

Either way, that is going to be one insane conference tourney.

At what point will people begin to realize that there is no set # of bids a conference will receive? It makes ZERO difference to the Selection Committee whether the SEC gets 4 or 5 bids. They evaluate those teams versus all of the potential at-large teams with no factor placed on conference affiliation.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
At what point will people begin to realize that there is no set # of bids a conference will receive? It makes ZERO difference to the Selection Committee whether the SEC gets 4 or 5 bids. They evaluate those teams versus all of the potential at-large teams with no factor placed on conference affiliation.

you can blame ESPN for that one.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)

No s***, people know there is no set number of bids a conference will receive.

But the selection committee does play favorites to bigger conferences. Since 2000, only 1 BCS conference has not fielded atleast 4 teams in the NCAA Tournament. (In 2000, the ACC only had 3 teams.)

So there will be atleast 4 SEC teams in the tournament. And you have to go back to 1996 for the last time the SEC didnt have atleast 5 teams in the tournament. But we're suppose to think that this year might be different? You are fooling yourself if you dont think the committee has a min. number of teams per conference it will put in the tournament when it comes to the BCS schools.

So we somehow managed to nab the 5 seed in the Valley tourny. We pretty much got the best draw we possibly could(BU instead of IlSU in the first round and UNI instead of CU in the semis if we get there) so at least that's something, still holding out for a miracle run here. To be honest though, I'll be shocked if Creighton doesn't take this thing down, the only other team I can possibly see winning is Soxtalk's favorite, Illinois State.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
So we somehow managed to nab the 5 seed in the Valley tourny. We pretty much got the best draw we possibly could(BU instead of IlSU in the first round and UNI instead of CU in the semis if we get there) so at least that's something, still holding out for a miracle run here. To be honest though, I'll be shocked if Creighton doesn't take this thing down, the only other team I can possibly see winning is Soxtalk's favorite, Illinois State.

ILL State is so overrated, and I go there. I think Creighton takes the MVC tourney, I just don't see the UNI thing at all.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
No s***, people know there is no set number of bids a conference will receive.

But the selection committee does play favorites to bigger conferences. Since 2000, only 1 BCS conference has not fielded atleast 4 teams in the NCAA Tournament. (In 2000, the ACC only had 3 teams.)

So there will be atleast 4 SEC teams in the tournament. And you have to go back to 1996 for the last time the SEC didnt have atleast 5 teams in the tournament. But we're suppose to think that this year might be different? You are fooling yourself if you dont think the committee has a min. number of teams per conference it will put in the tournament when it comes to the BCS schools.

The fact that the ACC only had three teams is proof against your argument. Plain and simple, all at large teams are compared against each other. Preference is typically given to big conference teams, because they have played more top teams and typically beaten some if they are in consideration. But NO, they aren't looking to fill a certain # of teams from any one conference. The NCAA has given media access to how the process works through mock selections the past several years and to a T every single person that has been through will tell you that they don't know how many teams made it from each conference until the field is set. The process is very clear cut in that teams are compared with a pool of other teams, not with teams from their own conference. Whether the SEC gets 3, 4 or 5 bids has nothing to do with them being the SEC, but completely with the resumes of the teams being considered against other potential at large teams.

End of story.