Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy win today for the Gophers, playing Concordia. Al Nolen is a stud, as is Lawrence Westbrook. Damien Johnson needs to get healthy soon though.

Also: thanks again for Tubby, Kentucky. Seems to be working out great for you.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
I root for all the programs at NIU and Illinois, but I definitely pay closer attention to the non major (sports other than basketball and football basically) programs here at NIU. I think that's natural though since it's my actual school and I know more athletes here, whereas I just have rooted for Illinois since I was a little kid.

Ditto Evansville and Indiana for me

So I went to Tennessee's season opener tonight against UT-Chattanooga, and we looked great. I know it was a weak opponent, but this team can put up points in a hurry. We scored 9 points in less than 30 seconds at one point. The defense is a bit weak as they tend to reach a lot, which will hurt against a good opponent. But, this is the most athletic team I've seen since I've been here. And we finally have a legit PG for Pearl's system. Ramar Smith just didn't fit right. Bobby Maze, who looks identical to Dee Brown, can hit a shot if he's open, but he mainly pushed the floor and played solid defense. More importantly, we saw the potential of Scotty Hopson. He just dominated one stretch in the 2nd half. Our freshman class is nasty.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
The first 11 or so minutes of NWST/IU might have been the single worse display of CBB I have ever seen.

No kidding, I was there, it was ugly. Like you said, the first 10 min or so of the first half were the worst; after that, we definitely played better, though still not what I would term "good." We had a lot of trouble on the boards -- I feel there were multiple possessions where NWST got 3-4 offensive rebounds in a row, it was horrible. Free throw shooting was also atrocious...I want to say it was 28/41.

Devan Dumes was BY FAR the best player on the court for IU. You could tell he's actually played some college ball before, unlike the others. V-3 (Verdell Jones) started out pretty bad, forced passes and some shoddy ballhandling, but he played really well the second half, and finished with a stat line of something like 18 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. Pritchard had a little trouble boxing out, but he finished with a double double.

Ballhandling will be crucial for this team, and they were pretty poor at that last night.

All in all, I have no idea what to expect this season, but I have a feeling I'll want to take wins where I can get them, but the Hoosiers definitely need to improve.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 03:39 AM)
So I went to Tennessee's season opener tonight against UT-Chattanooga, and we looked great. I know it was a weak opponent, but this team can put up points in a hurry. We scored 9 points in less than 30 seconds at one point. The defense is a bit weak as they tend to reach a lot, which will hurt against a good opponent. But, this is the most athletic team I've seen since I've been here. And we finally have a legit PG for Pearl's system. Ramar Smith just didn't fit right. Bobby Maze, who looks identical to Dee Brown, can hit a shot if he's open, but he mainly pushed the floor and played solid defense. More importantly, we saw the potential of Scotty Hopson. He just dominated one stretch in the 2nd half. Our freshman class is nasty.

the UT vandy rivalry is starting to become a really good rivalry in the SEC.....we are a bit down this year as we are so damn young...0 seniors and only 2 juniors (one who stinks)...our fresh class was a top 15 recruiting class, and we should be damn good in a year or two....Hopson was a huge get for UT....Pearl is a good coach but I absolutely can't stand him...he's my bball version of charlie weis, and im sure all the illini fans agree