Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, finish reminded me a little of the Northwestern/Illinois game. Illinois fans have to hate it when Weber takes the air out of the ball when winning with about 5 minutes left. So many times over the last few years, they've gone ahead and lost because of it. He's a great coach, and that has to be his biggest weakness.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 03:59 AM)
Wow, finish reminded me a little of the Northwestern/Illinois game. Illinois fans have to hate it when Weber takes the air out of the ball when winning with about 5 minutes left. So many times over the last few years, they've gone ahead and lost because of it. He's a great coach, and that has to be his biggest weakness.

It's the normal game.

Problem is the other team decides to turn it up, and we aren't used to it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)

It has been an issue in other games but it wasn't really that huge tonight. If you look at our possessions down the stretch, we got a wide open 3 by Meacham (who sucks), then a good look from Tisdale, then they fouled Frazier on purpose and he missed. The last couple of possessions were bad but before that they weren't really taking the air out ob the ball. Meacham's 3 wasn't late in the clock and Tisdale shot his with some time on the clock.

And I actually do agree with you that taking the air out of the ball is a weakness of Weber's I just really didn't see it all that much tonight. It is also a fine line because shooting too quickly gets you into trouble as well. I'm a fan of somewhat stalling but starting the offense around 25 seconds and then run your normal offense and if you get a good look at take it. I think the problem is a lot of times it seems like Illinois waits till 15 seconds to start their offense and doesn't get a great look. But that really wasn't the case tonight. And looking back at it it was really only the last two possessions where they took the air out of the ball and almost every team does the same in those situations, only Illinois doesn't really have a guy who is great at creating his own show unlike most teams. And if Frazier and Davis don't choke at the line or Meacham doesn't completely suck it doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)

I actually think that's the smart play on the road in the big ten. I don't think it's Weber's fault that his players allowed the smallest guy to drive the length of the court, get in the paint, and throw up a lay up to win the game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I actually think that's the smart play on the road in the big ten. I don't think it's Weber's fault that his players allowed the smallest guy to drive the length of the court, get in the paint, and throw up a lay up to win the game.

Or that their free throw woes from last year showed up again.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
And the Penn State faithful rush the court after knocking off #1 and previously undefeated Illinois!

Or they rush the court because their chances of making the tournament are dramatically higher, assuming they hold their own in the Big Ten Tournament.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
Or they rush the court because their chances of making the tournament are dramatically higher, assuming they hold their own in the Big Ten Tournament.

Plus they hit a game winner with less than a second left, no problem with rushing the court in that situation.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)

Agreed. At first I thought wtf are they doing? Then I realized it's Penn State and they haven't been to the tournament in almost 10 years. With a win over Iowa I think they're in. Lose to Iowa and they better win 1 or 2 in the BTT.

PSU straight owns us. Anyway, I'm not that upset about the loss. It always sucks to lose. But those last 5 minutes were pretty much a microcosm of Illinois' weaknesses all season. Great regular season (when you consider how far this team has come since last year's debacle) overall. I don't expect us to do much in either the BTT or the NCAA tournament. Next year is when the fun really begins.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
PSU straight owns us. Anyway, I'm not that upset about the loss. It always sucks to lose. But those last 5 minutes were pretty much a microcosm of Illinois' weaknesses all season. Great regular season (when you consider how far this team has come since last year's debacle) overall. I don't expect us to do much in either the BTT or the NCAA tournament. Next year is when the fun really begins.

It has been, but what really sucks to thinks about is that if Meacham hits the wide open 3 tonight they definitely win, and if he hits either wide open 3 on Sunday against MSU with the game tied there is a decent chance they win that one and they would actually have an outside shot at a Big 10 title right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
It has been, but what really sucks to thinks about is that if Meacham hits the wide open 3 tonight they definitely win, and if he hits either wide open 3 on Sunday against MSU with the game tied there is a decent chance they win that one and they would actually have an outside shot at a Big 10 title right now.

It's a shame Alex Legion has been such a bust this year. If he were anywhere near as good as he was hyped up to be (I haven't given up on him. But he's been a total bust this year), Bruce wouldn't be forced to stick with Trent when his shot isn't falling, which has been quite a bit this year. Can't wait to see some 'real' guards next year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)

Then rush it in the big 10 tourny

I saw no point in it tonight, maybe everyone should rush the floor when they win with a last second shot regardless of who they were playing. Its stupid.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
Then rush it in the big 10 tourny

I saw no point in it tonight, maybe everyone should rush the floor when they win with a last second shot regardless of who they were playing. Its stupid.

Yes, they should take their entire student section to Indianapolis and then rush the court in the first game they win (if they win one at all). Genius idea.

I mean seriously. It's Penn State basketball. When was the last time they were anything other than terrible? Are you really going to whine about them rushing the court after beating one of the better teams in the Big Ten when their season was over if they had lost? Now they have a real shot at making the NCAA Tournament for the first time in forever, rushing the court was definitely acceptable.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)

Or think if they didn't collapse against Clemson, @ Michigan and @ Michigan State, or if they could have just hit any shot against PSU the first time.

This team could easily be about 29-2 or 28-3. The only clear beatings were @ Minnesota and @ Wisconsin. The rest can be chalked up to terrible end game play.

I've been nothing but impressed with Weber's job this year. I expected to be a middle of the road big ten team. But they were in the title hunt in the last week. A title hunt against real competition (cough *Memphis* cough). The next 3-4 years are going to be one of the historic runs for the program I think. Lots of veteran talent mixed with raw talent and great coaching = multiple big ten titles and a couple of runs at the NCAA championship IMO.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Or think if they didn't collapse against Clemson, @ Michigan and @ Michigan State, or if they could have just hit any shot against PSU the first time.

This team could easily be about 29-2 or 28-3. The only clear beatings were @ Minnesota and @ Wisconsin. The rest can be chalked up to terrible end game play.

I've been nothing but impressed with Weber's job this year. I expected to be a middle of the road big ten team. But they were in the title hunt in the last week. A title hunt against real competition (cough *Memphis* cough). The next 3-4 years are going to be one of the historic runs for the program I think. Lots of veteran talent mixed with raw talent and great coaching = multiple big ten titles and a couple of runs at the NCAA championship IMO.

Dont discount the other talent that is coming into the Big Ten as well. It will be a battle for the title, but between a higher level of talent.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)

This is when I bring up the fact that the Gophers are going to be in the same exact position in the next few years, and frankly, I'd take Tubby Smith over Bruce Weber any day of the week when it comes to coaching. Hell, I'd also take our 2009 recruiting class over the Illini recruiting class, but that's a different story all together.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Dont discount the other talent that is coming into the Big Ten as well. It will be a battle for the title, but between a higher level of talent.

Illinois fans don't think of other teams, they have 2011 locked up for an easy run to the final four.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Though I agree the Illini will be good. Every team is virtually improving in the Big Ten next year. Hell even IU will improve drastically next year after just one year of rebuilding.

Big 10 is going to be an absolute battle, which is always fun to watch.

Damn Indiana State can really shoot.

I'm far from an Illinois fan, but as much prep ball as I have seen this year, Brandon Paul and Richmond are having GREAT years. Richmond could win Mr. Basketball as a junior, but they like to give it to a senior. I see them succeeding big time in Champaign.