Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
I'm far from an Illinois fan, but as much prep ball as I have seen this year, Brandon Paul and Richmond are having GREAT years. Richmond could win Mr. Basketball as a junior, but they like to give it to a senior. I see them succeeding big time in Champaign.

As long as Richmond keeps his head together, he is gonna be a hell of a player. The problem is, after one year in Champaign, I can see him bouncing to the pros. At least Weber wont pull a Wainwright and blame any losses on player deferrals to the NBA..

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
As long as Richmond keeps his head together, he is gonna be a hell of a player. The problem is, after one year in Champaign, I can see him bouncing to the pros. At least Weber wont pull a Wainwright and blame any losses on player deferrals to the NBA..

He has been well behaved all year this season. No way he goes NBA after 1 year. He needs to put on muscle for that and develop some sort of jump shot.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Big 10 is going to be an absolute battle, which is always fun to watch.

Damn Indiana State can really shoot.

And yet you ripped on Ilstu each time they lossed to them. Hard to win when indiana state makes 8 consecutive three pointers on 8 possessions at the end of the game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
Yes, they should take their entire student section to Indianapolis and then rush the court in the first game they win (if they win one at all). Genius idea.

I mean seriously. It's Penn State basketball. When was the last time they were anything other than terrible? Are you really going to whine about them rushing the court after beating one of the better teams in the Big Ten when their season was over if they had lost? Now they have a real shot at making the NCAA Tournament for the first time in forever, rushing the court was definitely acceptable.

Dont really give a s*** about what you think is acceptable or not

Rush the court when you win a championship or upset a #1 team.. your excuse that "Well they have a better chance to make the tournament now" is hardly a reason to rush the floor.

Im not whining about it, just saw no point in it bud

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Or think if they didn't collapse against Clemson, @ Michigan and @ Michigan State, or if they could have just hit any shot against PSU the first time.

This team could easily be about 29-2 or 28-3. The only clear beatings were @ Minnesota and @ Wisconsin. The rest can be chalked up to terrible end game play.

I've been nothing but impressed with Weber's job this year. I expected to be a middle of the road big ten team. But they were in the title hunt in the last week. A title hunt against real competition (cough *Memphis* cough). The next 3-4 years are going to be one of the historic runs for the program I think. Lots of veteran talent mixed with raw talent and great coaching = multiple big ten titles and a couple of runs at the NCAA championship IMO.

Or 15-16. :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
And yet you ripped on Ilstu each time they lossed to them. Hard to win when indiana state makes 8 consecutive three pointers on 8 possessions at the end of the game.

No, I ripped the fans who called them the best backcourt in the nation, and were getting ready for the undefeated run to the title.

Yeah, I know the feeling, watch the KU v TTech game this week.

ILL State is a pretty damn good team when they are hitting their shots. I know they are losing Oguchi, but get them a legit big man and we have something. Jank is doing a wonderful job, except he has to explain they don't need to only attempt the 3's from the NBA line. Coach Jank can pull some pretty good recruits from Chicago, he has the connections already.

Good luck against Creighton, they may have an emotional let down from that miracle win today.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
Rush the court when you win a championship or upset a #1 team.. your excuse that "Well they have a better chance to make the tournament now" is hardly a reason to rush the floor.

Im not whining about it, just saw no point in it bud

That's a very extreme view of rushing the court. I thought Penn State was pretty justified in rushing the court. It's not like it showed up the Illini, that's not what rushing the court does. It's a sign of respect that beating them in a dramatic fashion was a big deal to their fans.

In what circumstance can fans rush the court when they win a championship anyway? Almost all championships are won on neutral floors. Are you saying that only mid-majors that clinch a tourney spot should rush the floor?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:05 AM)
In what circumstance can fans rush the court when they win a championship anyway? Almost all championships are won on neutral floors. Are you saying that only mid-majors that clinch a tourney spot should rush the floor?

Never, that's when. Unless you're Illinois, then you can rush the court whenever you want.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
He has been well behaved all year this season. No way he goes NBA after 1 year. He needs to put on muscle for that and develop some sort of jump shot.

He just got suspended for their sectional semifinal vs. Zion-Benton for getting two technicals and being ejected. The second T was a bad call after the ref thought he hung on the rim, although he didn't, so this isnt a case of him misbehaving at all. Sucks for the team though, cause they dont have much of a chance to beat Z-B without him. Richmond was also just named Sun-Times player of the year, which is impressive for a junior.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1465758,030...ond-out.article

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun...WAUK_S1.article

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
He just got suspended for their sectional semifinal vs. Zion-Benton for getting two technicals and being ejected. The second T was a bad call after the ref thought he hung on the rim, although he didn't, so this isnt a case of him misbehaving at all. Sucks for the team though, cause they dont have much of a chance to beat Z-B without him. Richmond was also just named Sun-Times player of the year, which is impressive for a junior.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1465758,030...ond-out.article

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun...WAUK_S1.article

Been reading about it all day. As of now he is out Wednesday, but Waukegan is hoping to get it over turned. Not looking good.

Michigan and Iowa may have just saved Wisconsin's NCAA chances.

For some reason I had this sinking feeling that after the Gopher choke job that Wisconsin would be the last team left out. But if Wisconsin can beat Indiana tomorrow, the worst they can do is 4th place because I believe they have the tie breaker over OSU.

IMO no way 4th place wont make it to the tourney.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Mizzou is a product of their home schedule.

Yep. They deserve credit for playing great basketball at home, but get them out of Columbia and they aren't much to write home about. There are other teams that also fit that description, but I don't think any to the degree of Missouri. They are just about done being overrated now though I think, they'll fall into that 15 or so range in the polls with today's loss, which might still be a few spots high but is pretty close to accurate.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Michigan and Iowa may have just saved Wisconsin's NCAA chances.

For some reason I had this sinking feeling that after the Gopher choke job that Wisconsin would be the last team left out. But if Wisconsin can beat Indiana tomorrow, the worst they can do is 4th place because I believe they have the tie breaker over OSU.

IMO no way 4th place wont make it to the tourney.

The tourney selection people look at individual resumes, not so much where you place in conference. In fact, they supposedly don't even pay attention to conference affiliation at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Yep. They deserve credit for playing great basketball at home, but get them out of Columbia and they aren't much to write home about. There are other teams that also fit that description, but I don't think any to the degree of Missouri. They are just about done being overrated now though I think, they'll fall into that 15 or so range in the polls with today's loss, which might still be a few spots high but is pretty close to accurate.

The tourney selection people look at individual resumes, not so much where you place in conference. In fact, they supposedly don't even pay attention to conference affiliation at all.

I think everyone realizes that at this point, but some might wonder if conference affiliation subconsciously affects a team's chances, and they may just be right.

I dont believe anything that they say in regards to how they select.

If they only looked at resumes, then Wisconsin would have been seeded higher many of the previous seasons.

But nonetheless, Id rather finish in 4th place and be 19-11 then finish in 7th place at 19-11.

The other rankings are fine for Wisconsin, I think they have SOS at 5 and rpi around 30.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Illinois State is a force!!!

When they can hit their shots, watch out.

As much as I and others make fun of the Illinois State homers around here (and they deserve it with some of the things they say), they are a veteran and talented team (especially in relationship to the level the Valley is at this year in those categories, which isn't very good) and seem to have picked a great time to hit their stride. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next several minutes and they knock out Creighton, I'd expect the Redbirds to win again against UNI tomorrow and punch their dance ticket.

Edited by whitesoxfan101