Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
Nice to see the turn around from you guys on ISU.

Just win tomorrow.

I've never thought they were bad. I've just said they aren't the best team in Illinois, and their hot start out of conference should have had tempered excitement because they played absolutely nobody. Both points still stand, and obviously a lot of things that have been said by a lot of us about Illinois State here were to antagonize the ISU fans because their homerism was a bit humerous at times. That's all.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
I've never thought they were bad. I've just said they aren't the best team in Illinois, and their hot start out of conference should have had tempered excitement because they played absolutely nobody. Both points still stand, and obviously a lot of things that have been said by a lot of us about Illinois State here were to antagonize the ISU fans because their homerism was a bit humerous at times. That's all.

What he said

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Michigan and Iowa may have just saved Wisconsin's NCAA chances.

For some reason I had this sinking feeling that after the Gopher choke job that Wisconsin would be the last team left out. But if Wisconsin can beat Indiana tomorrow, the worst they can do is 4th place because I believe they have the tie breaker over OSU.

IMO no way 4th place wont make it to the tourney.

Last year Virginia Tech finished 4th in the ACC. In the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament, Virginia Tech beat 5th seeded Miami by 14.

Miami got invited last year, VT played in the NIT.

So you never know but Wisky has a good RPI and very good SOS.

Toney took over that game and gave us a first round bye in the ACC tourney. The thing that sucks is we'll probably play Clemson for the 3rd time. I'm confident we can beat them a third time because we've solved their press (we've come a long way since the NU game), but its tough beating a team like Clemson 3 times in one season.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
BTW, anyone who didn't see VMI-Radford missed some cheap laughs between the big Belorussian from Radford and some horrible announcers.

I saw the highlights with no sound. He is the weakest 7 footer ever and he was popping his jersey. Funny stuff.

Co-SEC East Champions with Tennessee

Not bad for a team that won 5 conference games last year. Darrin Horn has done in less than a year, what Dave Odom couldn't do: adapt a sound strategy and play style that fits the players he had, not try to force it the other way around.

I consider 21-8, 10-6 in conference a pretty damn good 'first' year for Coach Horn.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't know if I can take much more of this Duke/UNC game. All it is is both teams crying for fouls every time they touch the ball.

You can say that if you want, but what you really mean is "I hate these two teams so much because they always win and they are so much better than 99% of college basketball programs."

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
You can say that if you want, but what you really mean is "I hate these two teams so much because they always win and they are so much better than 99% of college basketball programs."

They are good now and they're two of the top programs, you can't deny that. But Duke, I hate. I like UNC.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)

Pssh. North Carolina yes, Duke no. Duke is completely overrated (again). When was the last championship again, 8 seasons ago? And don't give me that crap about sweet sixteens and elite eight appearances. Any good team that gets overrated seeding year in and year out would be able to do the same.

Great career Tyler, Danny, and Bobby. Tyler has so many records and accolades, but Danny Green has been the ultimate glue guy. He's one of UNC's top 40 scorers in history with almost 1,300 points now. Bobby is UNC's best defender when Ginyard is out, and has found his shot again thankfully. What a class and way to end the regular season.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Been reading about it all day. As of now he is out Wednesday, but Waukegan is hoping to get it over turned. Not looking good.

Here is video of the so called hanging on the rim, the video is horrible quality but based on this I have no idea how you can say he hung on the rim. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlsB2HFI9Io

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Here is video of the so called hanging on the rim, the video is horrible quality but based on this I have no idea how you can say he hung on the rim. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlsB2HFI9Io

If the IHSA doesn't reverse it tomorrow, they are opening themselves up to trouble. Love how kids in the city transfer from school to school and don't miss any time, but this may cost a team their season.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Pssh. North Carolina yes, Duke no. Duke is completely overrated (again). When was the last championship again, 8 seasons ago? And don't give me that crap about sweet sixteens and elite eight appearances. Any good team that gets overrated seeding year in and year out would be able to do the same.

I don't like Duke either, but the fact that you are saying they haven't won a title in 8 years is a bad thing shows that they are an elite program.

If Northwestern had won that game, they would have had a tough case to deny if they had beaten whatever other bubble team in the first round. As it stands now, you would think a 2nd win over Michigan State in the quarterfinals would make a solid case. They might need 3, depends on how the committee views them. 6 wins against the RPI top 50 is pretty impressive, but the 8-10 conference record is gonna be tough to overcome.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
If the IHSA doesn't reverse it tomorrow, they are opening themselves up to trouble. Love how kids in the city transfer from school to school and don't miss any time, but this may cost a team their season.

The problem is that if they do over turn it then they open themselves up to having to review any taped game where someone receives two technical fouls. This is why it is a stupid rule to begin with. But really, that call is so bad (at least from what can be seen on the video) that it makes you wonder if the ref had an ulterior motive.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)

As much as I dislike Duke and think they are fatally flawed this year they were #2 in RPI going into the UNC game. When you look at the teams that are ranked 7 through 10 they fit in well with them. They are not overrated this year, but they sure as hell don't strike a lot of fear in many teams. No penetration from their point guard and no bigs whatsoever is a major weakness for any team.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Great career Tyler, Danny, and Bobby. Tyler has so many records and accolades, but Danny Green has been the ultimate glue guy. He's one of UNC's top 40 scorers in history with almost 1,300 points now. Bobby is UNC's best defender when Ginyard is out, and has found his shot again thankfully. What a class and way to end the regular season.

A pretty special class. They were not the most highly touted group, and they were thrown right into the fire since "everyone" was gone from the 2005 national championship squad. They shocked everyone that year going 24-8 or something like that. Then as sophs they coughed up a comfortable lead in the elite 8 only to lose in OT to G'town after a stellar year. Jr. year a final four birth after 30 more wins. Disappointing final games (G'town/Kansas) can taint peoples perceptions of a group, but it shouldn't this has been a strong group even with some devastating injuries (Ginyard and Frasor) to deal with. Hopefully they can finish strong in their swan song.

Ty and Wayne are junior's but I would be shocked if either will be back, so an impressive group played their last game at the Dean Dome Sunday and left the court with a smile, by beating Duke.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
I don't like Duke either, but the fact that you are saying they haven't won a title in 8 years is a bad thing shows that they are an elite program.

If Northwestern had won that game, they would have had a tough case to deny if they had beaten whatever other bubble team in the first round. As it stands now, you would think a 2nd win over Michigan State in the quarterfinals would make a solid case. They might need 3, depends on how the committee views them. 6 wins against the RPI top 50 is pretty impressive, but the 8-10 conference record is gonna be tough to overcome.

I never said they weren't elite, but I don't think their in the top 10 programs of the last decade. They've played second fiddle to UNC for the better part of this century. And take away their lofted seedings and I think they'd be a good but not great team.