Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Toney Douglas should be POY in the ACC, but he won't be. Lawson will get it despite playing no defense and having a team full of great talent. FSU basketball is Toney Douglas. Without him we would have been 10th in the ACC like everyone predicted.

Lawson, 15.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 6.5 apg, 2 spg 3.3:1 Ast:TO ratio, FG 54%, FT 81%, 3PT 47% in 29.4 mpg

Douglas, 20.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3 apg, 1.9 spg, 1.4:1 Ast:TO ratio, FG 43%, FT 81%, 3PT 37.4% in 36.2 mpg

Douglas is a great player on a 23-8 team, and Lawson is a great player on a 27-3 team.

FSU's talent isn't as good as UNC's, but FSU's recruiting classes have only been behind UNC and Duke in the conference.

For instance, you guys have 2 5 stars, and 5 4 stars. Your 5 main minutes guys consist of 3 4 stars and 2 5 stars.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
For instance, you guys have 2 5 stars, and 5 4 stars. Your 5 main minutes guys consist of 3 4 stars and 2 5 stars.

Touche haha. I guess what I should have said was we have a bunch of young unproven guys who still need to develop. Soloman is really the only one looking like a 5 star (I'm worried we're going to lose him after next season). Kitchen is sort of a weird circumstance; if he would have played the whole season this team would have been a lot better. It took him a while to get used to playing with our guys. Besides TD and Soloman (for like 5 games against crappy schools last year), Uche, Demercy and Reid (sucks) are the only others that have experience. Uche was hurt to begin the season, Demercy can't play offense to save his life, and Reid just plays the tough guy role. But then again, I'm not sure on the experience of UNC. In the end its just weird for FSU being good in basketball, even if it is for only one season.

Nothing against Lawson though. He is a great player. If it wasn't for TD's defense he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Edit: Toney lost by 4 votes. Ham got coach of the year. TD got defensive POY.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Touche haha. I guess what I should have said was we have a bunch of young unproven guys who still need to develop. Soloman is really the only one looking like a 5 star (I'm worried we're going to lose him after next season). Kitchen is sort of a weird circumstance; if he would have played the whole season this team would have been a lot better. It took him a while to get used to playing with our guys. Besides TD and Soloman (for like 5 games against crappy schools last year), Uche, Demercy and Reid (sucks) are the only others that have experience. Uche was hurt to begin the season, Demercy can't play offense to save his life, and Reid just plays the tough guy role. But then again, I'm not sure on the experience of UNC. In the end its just weird for FSU being good in basketball, even if it is for only one season.

Nothing against Lawson though. He is a great player. If it wasn't for TD's defense he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

I wouldn't have issue if Douglas won over Lawson and Hansbrough. In a weird way I'm hoping Hansbrough doesn't win it again, as he hasn't had as good of a year as he has had in the past and Lawson has clearly been UNC's MVP.

Edit: Just saw the results, amazingly close vote.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Rock,

Im at work :(

What is it OSU v Wisconsin when Conley and Oden were there?

Ya 1v2 when conley won it with the last second shot.

Its amazing how much better those two teams are then we we watch this season. Conley and Cook would have been juniors this year.......

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
It's more to get Mills some minutes. But getting to 26 wins won't hurt either.

They are done, with how they got beat by Gonzaga last night. Mills is not near 100% and a win will do nothing for their cause. They are headed for the NIT and maybe a bit more time on the court can help Mills prepare for a run in the NOT INVITED TOURNAMENT>

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Wow, Doug Gottlieb sounded like he was just defending Creighton, saying they should get in even though they got rolled by Ill St. Never thought I would see him defend an MVC team.

Yeah where was he last year when ISU got rolled by Drake. I hate this Creighton at-large talk. There is absolutely no way they get in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Perhaps its me being an Illinois homer, but it's ridiculous to me that Chester Frazier didn't win Defensive player of the year and that Weber didn't win Coach of the Year. I'm fine with the media choosing Dechellis, but Izzo? Come on...

Maybe its because the Media does not like Weber, food for thought.

Perhaps its me being an Illinois homer, but it's ridiculous to me that Chester Frazier didn't win Defensive player of the year and that Weber didn't win Coach of the Year. I'm fine with the media choosing Dechellis, but Izzo? Come on...

MSU won the Big 10 going away this year and was fantastic on the road. Izzo had the most talent but they also dominated the conference. I have no problem at all with him winning. Weber, Dechellis and Izzo were all deserving.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)

Michigan State won the conference by a large margin while dealing with injuries to 3 of its 4 best players this season. Weber would have had a chance, but it's not like the Illini played very well the last month of the season. I agree that Dechellis should have won. I actually thought the best coaching job in the conference was done by Carmody.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Michigan State won the conference by a large margin while dealing with injuries to 3 of its 4 best players this season. Weber would have had a chance, but it's not like the Illini played very well the last month of the season. I agree that Dechellis should have won. I actually thought the best coaching job in the conference was done by Carmody.

Those injuries were before the conference season though right?

I guess I don't understand giving someone the best of the year award when you basically do what you're supposed to do. I think it should go to someone who goes above and beyond expectations. Weber, Dechellis and Carmody are all better choices IMO. I would vote for Weber only because his team is the only lock of those three to make it into the tournament.

When a team wins a conference by as wide a margin as Michigan State did, lapping the field when the field might have 6 or 7 tournament teams in addition to Michigan State, that team is going to lap the field in terms of awards as well.