Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Rumblings that Billy Clyde is gone.

The "rumblings" you hear of come from message boards, made up sources, boosters who don't matter, and others (like Seth Davis) who want to get hits off of writing negatively about Kentucky (who can blame him?).

But from the people who actually matter and actually have info in the program and have proven it, have stated all along he's going nowhere and there's not even a thought about it. Barnhart knows that Gillispie needs more time (3rd year is when you can start judging) and knows that if he fires the biggest name he's ever hired his job will be in question.

Doesn't help that there is a 6 million dollar buyout. Not to mention the fact that Gillispie getting fired would be a death sentence to this program.

I have my doubts about what he does, but there's no way you can judge based off of these two years, no way. Don't let any Kentucky fan (mainly from Catspause) tell you otherwise. The fanbase as a whole is generally uninformed and hasn't a clue that college basketball has changed since Pitino left.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Poor Kentucky

They fully deserve everything they get for running Tubby out of town. How dare he only win 20 games and make the tournament every year?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
They fully deserve everything they get for running Tubby out of town. How dare he only win 20 games and make the tournament every year?

20 wins and the NCAA Tournament is fine at Minnesota, not at Kentucky. But if you want to go down this route I can debunk any sort of rumor or false misconception you have about what happened in that time.

A little tidbit that no one ever acknowledges is the fact that the problem was with the assistants, not Tubby. Everyone knew this. That's why Barnhart told Tubby either get rid of his assistants and start working the AAU route or leave. Tubby refused and chose to leave.

Any further questions?

Edited by gbuk

lol

They had 4 seeds above 7, which means those 4 should have won their game. The only "upset" was an 8/9 game.

If Missouri, KU or OU had lost it would have been the biggest upset so far in this tournament. Not to mention of the other 4 games only 2 were against power conferences (Minnesota and Tenn) and the Tenn game came down to the final seconds.

For the most part the top 3 big 12 teams have pretty easy draws for the first 2 rounds, so we will see what happens in the sweet 16. The Big 12 has to get 3 teams in the sweet 16 or else its a failure compared to their seeding.

It would be different if the Big 12 was seeded like the Big 10, only having 1 seed above a 5.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
lol

They had 4 seeds above 7, which means those 4 should have won their game. The only "upset" was an 8/9 game.

If Missouri, KU or OU had lost it would have been the biggest upset so far in this tournament. Not to mention of the other 4 games only 2 were against power conferences (Minnesota and Tenn) and the Tenn game came down to the final seconds.

For the most part the top 3 big 12 teams have pretty easy draws for the first 2 rounds, so we will see what happens in the sweet 16. The Big 12 has to get 3 teams in the sweet 16 or else its a failure compared to their seeding.

It would be different if the Big 12 was seeded like the Big 10, only having 1 seed above a 5.

Im playing the world's smallest violin for the Big 10. I was just stating a fact.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
:violin

;)

West Virginia losing really opens up the bracket for Kansas to make the Elite 8.

I guess Michigan State is a cakewalk for Kansas.

Kansas is by no means a very good team, Sherron Collins wanted to give me a sports related hernia today. If he incorporates the rest of the team, we are very good. If he plays like his still in AAU, we suck.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
:violin

;)

West Virginia losing really opens up the bracket for Kansas to make the Elite 8.

Don't sleep on Dayton (I picked them to lose to WV, but didn't feel good about it at all). I do follow quite a bit of A-10 ball. Dayton causes a ton of problems for teams defensively with their length/athleticism. They're also very deep.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Don't sleep on Dayton (I picked them to lose to WV, but didn't feel good about it at all). I do follow quite a bit of A-10 ball. Dayton causes a ton of problems for teams defensively with their length/athleticism. They're also very deep.

You don't see me saying its an easy victory.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Am I speaking Spanish?? I have not once said I expect a victory.

All I know is that Ben Woodside on North Dakota State Tech.com is a f***in baller.

You're not as fun as you used to be. lol. I liked it better when you talked crazy s*** every day. Now it's like you're surprised when Kansas wins. Does the old Jimbo return next year with Robinson/Johnson comin' in?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
You're not as fun as you used to be. lol. I liked it better when you talked crazy s*** every day. Now it's like you're surprised when Kansas wins. Does the old Jimbo return next year with Robinson/Johnson comin' in?

My opinion all year is KU is playing with the house's money. 6 players gone from last year, 1 returning regular, and a bunch of knuckle head freshmen. In ternms of next year, if Sherron or Cole stay(unlikely) there is good possility. KU also adds Jeff Withey, and in the running for Lance Stephenson.

A question for other Illinois fans like myself. Why didn't Illinois press more? They've had success with it previously (Northwestern). I've tried to forget about this loss by saying WKU was just the better team and I think they were in the first half when they were hitting their shots. But the way Illinois played in the last 5 minutes leads me to believe that this could have been a win for Illinois. If they had put it on for a few minutes in the first half to throw WKU's rhythm off it might have helped. It seems Bruce is sometimes too stubborn to change things up and won't use it until desperation time when it was too late.

Oh well, we have good recruits coming in the next few years and we certainly exceeded my expectations this year. It's just tough for a program like Illinois to go three straight years without winning a game in the NCAA Tournament...especially when we had 2 games that were very winnable. Hopefully, we see Chester in some type of assistant role soon. I was really hoping they could win for him...such a tough way for him to go out.

Edited by The Bones