OK...so who's worth more...

Wanne

I say Manny. ARod makes, what...$28M a year?...I actually could see Manny hittin' the $30M mark this off season. The dude is such a difference maker. F it Kenny...dump some dead weight and go get him!!! *kidding*...kinda-sorta.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
arod....5 years younger, and can actually play defense and steal a base for you

Manny wins rings and is more clutch. Even though the knocking of ARod not being clutch maybe a tad overrated.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Manny wins rings and is more clutch. Even though the knocking of ARod not being clutch maybe a tad overrated.

How's it overrated when he can't hit for lick in the playoffs? When it REALLY counts.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)

David Eckstein also wins rings.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
How's it overrated when he can't hit for lick in the playoffs? When it REALLY counts.

Because he's not the only one that always sucks in the playoffs for the Yankees? I understand the whole "he's making 5 billion dollars a year so he should produce" argument, but when you get little to no help from your teammates, it tends to be hard.

Anyways, Alex Rodriguez plays 3B, doesn't need to be traded to be motivated, and he annually puts up better regular season numbers than Manny Ramirez. Alex Rodriguez is easily more valuable than Manny Ramirez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)

Because he's not the only one that always sucks in the playoffs for the Yankees? I understand the whole "he's making 5 billion dollars a year so he should produce" argument, but when you get little to no help from your teammates, it tends to be hard.

Anyways, Alex Rodriguez plays 3B, doesn't need to be traded to be motivated, and he annually puts up better regular season numbers than Manny Ramirez. Alex Rodriguez is easily more valuable than Manny Ramirez.

So you're saying it's great to have great season numbers...but if you suck in the playoffs (when it really counts)...that's ok? Thing about Manny is he's picked up a mediocre team...and great players do that.

I understand your comment about needing to be moved to be motivated...and rightly noted. But I disagree with your point of getting little help from your teammates. He's sucked period in the post season. Manny's post season stats speak for themselves. But I also understand him bein somewhat of a headcase during the regular season. So I guess it's give and take...pick your poison. I'd still take Manny in a heartbeat since he changes the entire dynamic of an offense. IMO...ARod doesn't.

Manny Ramirez is a douche bag. He loafed this season with the Red Sox who have only paid him about $120 million. It was so bad, his TEAMMATES told management he needs to go. He gets "motivated" playing for a new contract, and suddenly he's a better player than ARod? Please. Barry Bonds was awful in the post season until later in his career. Frank Thomas has had 2 post season series where he failed to get a hit. It happens. ARod is a superior player. Manny could have been right up there with him, but he was the one who chose not to. He is pretty awesome when he wants to be, but that isn't everyday. He even took a couple of Septembers off with the Red Sox with mystery injuries. God help whichever team opens the bank for him this winter.

Didn't A-Rod hit something like .286 with a HR in last year's playoffs? That's not eye-popping or anything but it's hardly terrible either. But I remember it only took about 6 hitless ABs before the media frenzy reached a fever pitch even though "Captain Clutch" Jeter wasn't doing s*** and was calmly grounding into DPs at the same time. A-Rod didn't suck with the Mariners in the playoffs either IIRC, it wasn't until he got to New York.

A-Rod's "struggles" in the playoffs are a partially true, but ridiculously overblown media narrative.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)

David Eckstein also won a WS MVP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 06:09 AM)
Manny Ramirez is a douche bag. He loafed this season with the Red Sox who have only paid him about $120 million. It was so bad, his TEAMMATES told management he needs to go. He gets "motivated" playing for a new contract, and suddenly he's a better player than ARod? Please. Barry Bonds was awful in the post season until later in his career. Frank Thomas has had 2 post season series where he failed to get a hit. It happens. ARod is a superior player. Manny could have been right up there with him, but he was the one who chose not to. He is pretty awesome when he wants to be, but that isn't everyday. He even took a couple of Septembers off with the Red Sox with mystery injuries. God help whichever team opens the bank for him this winter.

He's also one of the best right handed hitters of all time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 06:09 AM)
He also put up a .299/.398/.529 line with the Red Sox, at the age of 36. I guess compared to his obscene 213 OPS+ with the Dodgers those numbers could be considered "loafing," but that's almost exactly the same production the Red Sox are getting from Jason Bay. Is he "loafing" too?

Manny and A-Rod have very similar lifetime stats, as well. I don't think you can declare either one as "better." It really just seems like you don't like Manny Ramirez, so you find second-hand accounts of how he isn't liked by his teammates, ignore his actual production, and claim that makes Ramirez somehow inferior to A-Rod/whoever else.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
He also put up a .299/.398/.529 line with the Red Sox, at the age of 36. I guess compared to his obscene 213 OPS+ with the Dodgers those numbers could be considered "loafing," but that's almost exactly the same production the Red Sox are getting from Jason Bay. Is he "loafing" too?

Manny and A-Rod have very similar lifetime stats, as well. I don't think you can declare either one as "better." It really just seems like you don't like Manny Ramirez, so you find second-hand accounts of how he isn't liked by his teammates, ignore his actual production, and claim that makes Ramirez somehow inferior to A-Rod/whoever else.

Do you have access to their VORP numbers? A-Rod does better in WARP, but interested in VORP of the two and can't find it on baseballprospectus.com

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Rodriguez and Ramirez have career OPS+ within 7 points of each other, in almost the same career length (15/16 years). Their career highs in OPS+ are within 9 points of each other. If Ramirez can post these numbers while "not trying," he's obviously a much better player than A-Rod on potential alone.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
This should do it.

Rodriguez does seem to win the VORP battle as well, at least in the past 3 years.

Interesting. I also learned from that link that this Albert Pujols guy may have a clue on how to hit!

They are both fantastic first ballot hall of famers, if I had to make the choice I would go with A-Rod, but if you told me I was "stuck" with Manny I wouldn't be overly dissapointed

So you're saying it's great to have great season numbers...but if you suck in the playoffs (when it really counts)...that's ok? Thing about Manny is he's picked up a mediocre team...and great players do that.

I understand your comment about needing to be moved to be motivated...and rightly noted. But I disagree with your point of getting little help from your teammates. He's sucked period in the post season. Manny's post season stats speak for themselves. But I also understand him bein somewhat of a headcase during the regular season. So I guess it's give and take...pick your poison. I'd still take Manny in a heartbeat since he changes the entire dynamic of an offense. IMO...ARod doesn't.

I'd much rather lose 10 years straight in the playoff because of non-exsistant "clutch" hitting, than to sit at home every October because the hitting wasn't as good regardless as how "clutch" it could have been.

Keep your Geoff Blums Luis Sojos. I'll continue to take the A-Rod and Sabathia type players.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)

Jason Bay also isn't walking away from $40 million the next 2 seasons which is one of the conditions Manny put on being traded. Teams cannot exercise the $20 million a year options. At least you know with ARod, he's going to show up and play hard every game. That and Madonna will be watching.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Rodriguez and Ramirez have career OPS+ within 7 points of each other, in almost the same career length (15/16 years). Their career highs in OPS+ are within 9 points of each other. If Ramirez can post these numbers while "not trying," he's obviously a much better player than A-Rod on potential alone.

Similar offensively. Defensively, no contest. ARod could still probably play SS at least as well as Manny can play LF. The title of the thread was who was more valuable. Its amazing how many nauseating "Manny being Manny" moments are forgotten because some guy forced his way off a team that paid him handsomely and treated him well and went to play for a contract with a team located by his agent, Scott Boras, and was awesome. Sorry, you'll never get that Manny for a whole season if he's signed for multiple years anymore.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)

And Rodriguez played a pretty solid SS for quite a few years and is now a suitable defensive 3Bman. Manny Ramirez plays a terrible defense in LF. ARod also has a 40-40 season under his belt and he could get his 300th stolen base sometime next season. Add to it that he's going into his age 33 season, and it's quite obvious who the more valuable player is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
Similar offensively. Defensively, no contest. ARod could still probably play SS at least as well as Manny can play LF. The title of the thread was who was more valuable. Its amazing how many nauseating "Manny being Manny" moments are forgotten because some guy forced his way off a team that paid him handsomely and treated him well and went to play for a contract with a team located by his agent, Scott Boras, and was awesome. Sorry, you'll never get that Manny for a whole season if he's signed for multiple years anymore.

A-rod is one of the best players ever, Manny is one of the best RH hitters ever. There is definately a difference. Of course Manny also has had the ability to get on team and make them winners, and A-rod seems to have the opposite effect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
A-rod is one of the best players ever, Manny is one of the best RH hitters ever. There is definately a difference. Of course Manny also has had the ability to get on team and make them winners, and A-rod seems to have the opposite effect.

Manny has had the luxury of playing for better teams than ARod. The Mariners became a power. The Rangers were and are awful. Its because of Manny the Indians became winners? You do know the Indians won the AL Central the year Manny left? They also had guys like Colon, Lofton, Belle, Thome, Alomar, Vizquel over the years. It was all Manny the Red Sox won? How come it didn't happen right away? And if it was all him, how in the world did the Red Sox make the playoffs without him this year. The Dodgers won 84 games. Its not like that is some outstanding team. They were 30-25 with Manny, a decent record, but not eye popping. ARod gets slammed because of the Mariners season after he left, but how far did they advance in the playoffs? The year ARod left and his last season, the Mariners lost in the ALCS. Texas had a better record without him, but really are you going to the credit that to his not being on the team? If anyone thinks a 36 year old meathead, albeit a great hitter when he wants to be, is more valuable than a guy who probably will go down as the greatest player ever, you might be as nuts as Manny. At least with ARod, you can always count on him giving his best effort.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
And Rodriguez played a pretty solid SS for quite a few years and is now a suitable defensive 3Bman. Manny Ramirez plays a terrible defense in LF. ARod also has a 40-40 season under his belt and he could get his 300th stolen base sometime next season. Add to it that he's going into his age 33 season, and it's quite obvious who the more valuable player is.

Yeah . . . for a guy who can show up in regular season play.

Or should that even be green? Because he can show good #'s in regular season play, but can't produce in the postseason. Manny has been in 4 World Series team's, two which have given him two WS ring's that he can proudly wear on his finger's. A-Rod has NADA!

The question of this thread was simply "Who's worth more . . ." and if you break down both players you will have results that are arguably good when talking about their offensive approach. But, you also have to look at their post-season experience and it's quite obvious that Manny is the more valuable player.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 12:30 AM)
Yeah . . . for a guy who can show up in regular season play.

Or should that even be green? Because he can show good #'s in regular season play, but can't produce in the postseason. Manny has been in 4 World Series team's, two which have given him two WS ring's that he can proudly wear on his finger's. A-Rod has NADA!

The question of this thread was simply "Who's worth more . . ." and if you break down both players you will have results that are arguably good when talking about their offensive approach. But, you also have to look at their post-season experience and it's quite obvious that Manny is the more valuable player.

Alex Rodriguez's postseason line - .279/.361/.483/.844. Not fantastic, but people seem to be pointing out that he's been absolutely beyond terrible...that looks respectable.

In 2007, he put up a .267/.353/.467/.820...again, not fantastic, but he more than held his own. He was also very good in the 2004 postseason and even put up an .894 OPS in their collapse against Boston. Prior to that, he was pretty much a one-man wrecking crew.

Where he struggled the most were the 2005 and 2006 postseasons...35 plate appearances. ARod is the most unclutch baseball player in the history of the universe because he struggled for a 35 plate appearance stretch in the postseason.

Get f***ing real.

I also enjoy the World Series ring argument, because it's one of the worst arguments one can make. Is Gavin Floyd a better pitcher than John Danks because he won more games? Are David Eckstein and Timo Perez better players than Alex Rodriguez because they've won two? or equals to Manny because they can put the same number of rings on their fingers?

Edited by witesoxfan