anyone else catch this

2nd_city_saint787

I was cleaning at work today when a co worker (who is a huge junior griffey fan) told me they just said on the radio that junior would take a pay cut to come back to chicago, i believe he was listening to 670, anyone else here this?? Did they say how much of a pay cut hed take....now i know in the griffey surgery thread everyone was poo pooing the idea of him coming back, and i agree to the extent that i do not want to see him in CF next year. but what if we can make a good deal involving dye thome or kong would you take him back if the price is right or would you take him back regardless if we cant trade any of those and use him as a backup once again if the price is right???

If we can get a couple of speedy guys say to play 2b, 3b, or RF, than i would be all for having Griffey come back for cheap with B. Anderson being his daily defensive replacement. Guys like Orlando Hudson, Chone Figgins, Willy Tavarez, Brian Roberts would be great.

Figgins (3b) -Trade for Konerko

Hudson (2b)- Free agent signing

Quentin (Lf)

Dye (Rf)

Thome (Dh)

Ramirez (Ss)

Griffey (Cf)

Pierzynski ©

Swisher (1b)

I'd take Griff in RF. I could see him having a really solid year next year...everything with his swing mechanics looked smooth, I think it was just a matter of him adjusting to better AL pitching. His bat is a little slow but I could easily see him putting up an .850 OPS or so, and I'd take that from the left side. I also really like the other lefty in the lineup for bullpen matchups, even though Griffey can't hit lefties whatsoever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
I'd take Griff in RF. I could see him having a really solid year next year...everything with his swing mechanics looked smooth, I think it was just a matter of him adjusting to better AL pitching. His bat is a little slow but I could easily see him putting up an .850 OPS or so, and I'd take that from the left side. I also really like the other lefty in the lineup for bullpen matchups, even though Griffey can't hit lefties whatsoever.

Griffey COULD have a solid year, yes. However, the guy is 38 years old and looked much older this year. The knee surgery might help, but he's been beaking down for years. I wouldn't count on him for much at all.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
If we can get a couple of speedy guys say to play 2b, 3b, or RF, than i would be all for having Griffey come back for cheap with B. Anderson being his daily defensive replacement. Guys like Orlando Hudson, Chone Figgins, Willy Tavarez, Brian Roberts would be great.

Figgins (3b) -Trade for Konerko

Hudson (2b)- Free agent signing

Quentin (Lf)

Dye (Rf)

Thome (Dh)

Ramirez (Ss)

Griffey (Cf)

Pierzynski ©

Swisher (1b)

GreatScott, I usually agree and respect the things you say, but this is awful.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
Griffey COULD have a solid year, yes. However, the guy is 38 years old and looked much older this year. The knee surgery might help, but he's been beaking down for years. I wouldn't count on him for much at all.

Agreed, which is why a good fallback option would have to be a necessity. It's more of a hunch than it is me having proof that he'll be good, but for cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to having him back at all. If money isn't an issue, than it'd be foolish not to bring him back. I also think Griffey accepting a small offer like that will help to solidify his induction on the first ballot...showing that it's not about money and how he just wants to play for the love of the game. That'd be incredible.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
I wouldn't mind Griffey back only if he'd be making, at most, half of what he is making now, and one of Thome/Konerko/Dye is traded.

I think that is the key. If one of those three goes, he may be back.