2008 World Series - Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays

knightni

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 01:45 AM)
You'd think the networks were praying for Boston-Philly. They get the Rays who never even had a decent fan base at home til this year much less a national fan base.

Nobody's gonna watch, folks.

Sounds a lot like 2005.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
You'd think the networks were praying for Boston-Philly. They get the Rays who never even had a decent fan base at home til this year much less a national fan base.Nobody's gonna watch, folks.

They really didnt start to have a fan base until the playoffs started.There were alot of empty seats during the season from what I remember.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
I like Charlie Manual and Jamie Moyer.

I actually don't not like either team so I will watch and enjoy baseball.

Have either of those two won a World Series? I was originally going to root for the Rays (to have another team win it all before the Cubs), but it'd be hard to root against two guys that have been around that long.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
Have either of those two won a World Series? I was originally going to root for the Rays (to have another team win it all before the Cubs), but it'd be hard to root against two guys that have been around that long.

:lolhitting :notworthy Damn good reason to cheer for the Rays. I usually follow this heirarchy

Sox > Al Central > AL Pennant Winner. About the only NL teams I may pick over any other AL team would be the Astros or Cardinals.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
You'd think the networks were praying for Boston-Philly. They get the Rays who never even had a decent fan base at home til this year much less a national fan base.

Nobody's gonna watch, folks.

Beat me to it. Lowest WS TV ratings ever, book it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Alright, I'll do the offenses first.

1B:

Howard>Pena

2B:

Utley>Aki

3B:

Feliz

SS:

Rollins> Bartlett

Rf:

Werth>Baldelli/Gross

Cf:

Victorino

LF:

Burell>Crawford

C:

Ruiz/Coste

DH:

Stairs

Bench:

Bruntlett, Taguchi, Jenkins, Dobbs

Advantage:

Phillies

There is no way I can believe that.

Rays in 6

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)

The Phillies won in 1980 with Pete Rose on the team.

So go Rays, though I'll be happy regardless of which team wins it. There are a lot of likable guys on both teams and I actually like both teams too. Once Boston was eliminated, I knew I would be happy.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)

Rays in 6

Pat Burrell has been better almost every year of his career. The only thing Crawford has over Burrell is stolen bases. Crawford was also injured for about 1/3 of this year, and didn't really have a good year in the time he was able to play.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
pitching staff

Hamels>Kazmir

Myers

Moyer

Blanton

Lidge>whoever the Rays have closing

Phils middle relief

And I say Rays in 6

The Phillies bullpen has been quite a bit better than the Rays has, though I do agree that with the analysis of the starting pitching.

I love the Phillies- they're my next closest rooting interest to the Sox in any sport, save for maybe the Bears and Jordan Bulls. I can't see them pulling this one off, but I'll watch every pitch just to make sure.

Baseball>All other sports, so why would October baseball not be more desirable than middle of the season NFL/preseason NBA/dawn of a new season NHL (combined, at that)?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
I won't watch an inning.

I couldn't care less who wins this if I tried.

I'm a baseball fan, so even if I don't care who wins in a particular year, I will watch. I've watched every world series since I was like 5, not gonna stop now.

Same goes for any sport I'm a fan of. I don't care if it gets good ratings - doesn't affect me. The 'draw' of a Boston-LA world series, or some other big market combo, is irrelevant.

It's still the world series, same as any other year.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)

Rays in 6

I should probably say that I’m a Rays in six guys too, but I'm still a little shaky on Crawford. That 5 for 5 game did a lot to change my mind, but Crawford's health is still a little shaky in my mind. Yeah, Burrell’s had a significant drop-off this year, but maintained healthy numbers in the playoffs. IO guess power was the key here. Given that the Phillies two best pitchers (Hamels and Myers) succeed mostly on keeping the ball on the ground, and Kazmir and Garza have an unfortunate tendency of putting the ball in the air. That was truly my toughest comparison. So, I’m not going to argue that you have a point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
I'm throwing my full support behind the Rays. The thought of Brett Myers getting a ring makes me sick.

I kinda agree. Love when he was getting an attitude with reporters and he called them "retards" or something and the reporter asked, "How do you spell that?"