What movies have actually made you cry?

shipps

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
"Good-Bye Lenin!"

And just about any movie that's on a plane for some reason. What is it with movies in planes making me want to cry? I mean, come on, "No Reservations?" What is wrong with me?

Snakes on a Plane?

I mean, I could understand.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
Movies that always get me are ones that involve some realtionship with children and parents. The Champ was a big one, but it doesn't even have to be a sad part for me. Hell, I got choked up at the end of Armageddon, when the little boy ran to his dad when he got off the shuttle.

'I am Sam', another Sean Penn gem is in that category.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
True story: I was like 15 or 16 when that came out, so I went with all my little friends. I thought it was just awful. So overwrought and just annoying. I kept sighing and making comments--I had some bruises from my friends by the end. That almost made me cry.

Anyway, movies that made me cry (I admit I am a movie crybaby, I rarely cry other times, but whatever. Don't you judge me!):

Wall-E

Life is Beautiful (for about 3 weeks afterward too)

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

It's a Wonderful Life

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Harvey

Vertigo (when he loses her the 2nd time)

The Pride of the Yankees

Sense and Sensibility

Field of Dreams

Forrest Gump

The Lives of Others

Iris (I think that's what it is called, the Iris Murdoch biography)

Good Will Hunting

Whale Rider

Love Actually

Pan's Labyrinth

La Orfeanato (spelling?)

Finding Neverland

To Kill a Mockingbird

Casablanca

Philadelphia

An Affair to Remember

On the Waterfront

Any movie involving a dog dying

Cool Hand Luke

Mystic River (again, for weeks)

That is an impressive list of films you've seen (especially Lives of Others, which was emotionally draining). Ever see City of God (set in slums of Rio) or Cinema Paradiso? Both excellent in their own right. Cinema Paradiso should also come with box of Kleenex.

Great call on Titanic, btw. I have a theory that if EVERYONE loves a movie it is guaranteed suck. For that reason, I have never seen Titanic and never will. Almost kept me from reading the Da Vinci Code as well. Wish I had resisted temptation there.

I have had plenty of films that I watched and shed tears but none as consistently as as Bang the Drum Slowly and Eight Men Out. BTDS is a no brainer for why. EMO, however, there is a scene where Buck Weaver is talking to a couple of kids from the neighborhood and lights up like a kid relating his love for the game. As a baseball fan, you understand what he is talking about and it could get you choked up in its own right. As a Sox fan you know he will never play the game again and how rough his life was after he was banned. It is tough to keep it together any time I watch that. The Shawshank Redemption also used to do it for me until TBS started showing it every four hours. You do get desensitized after a while.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
'I am Sam', another Sean Penn gem is in that category.

IYou just reminded me of "Dead Man Walking." The part that gets me is when Penn is in the room saying goodbye to his family, but nobody really has anything to say. The awkward silence of that scene gets me for some reason. They just sit there with no emotional connection to one another (love or hatred) for a long time.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
That is an impressive list of films you've seen (especially Lives of Others, which was emotionally draining). Ever see City of God (set in slums of Rio) or Cinema Paradiso? Both excellent in their own right. Cinema Paradiso should also come with box of Kleenex.

Thanks. I love movies. Perhaps too much.

I've not seen City of God or Cinema Paradiso--they are on my not too distant list.

And, yes, I cried durign Lives of Others, but I actually thought it was a very touching and kind of uplifting film. Not like, leave with a smile kind of happy, more like an existential restore your faith in humanity kind of feel good. When he makes the right choice in the end and thinks for himself--I see that as kind of a victory. I lent the movie to my boss and her husband (he grew up in Germany) and she said it was the most depressing movie she'd ever seen. I can see that perspective. But the transformation of the Stasi character to a "good man" was just so promising to me.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
The first time I watched 'Life Is Beautiful', I really enjoyed it. The second time it came across as so far fetched that it was almost comical. Never had such a swing in reaction to a film before.

I think that's why it is so crushing at the end. It's a movie about this guy with this tremendous joi de vivre and then, oh god. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Such a brilliant film. Really.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
The first time I watched 'Life Is Beautiful', I really enjoyed it. The second time it came across as so far fetched that it was almost comical. Never had such a swing in reaction to a film before.

I have a similar relationship with Forrest Gump.

First Viewing - Teary eyed; Four Stars!

Second viewing - dry eyes; three stars

third viewing - "This movie is kind of corny"

...last viewing - "take your box of chocolates and go f*** yourself, Forrest!"

Maybe it wasn't that extreme but I did grow to like Forrest less and less each time I would watch the film. I still can' believe it won best picture over Shawshank Redemption.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Thanks. I love movies. Perhaps too much.

I've not seen City of God or Cinema Paradiso--they are on my not too distant list.

And, yes, I cried durign Lives of Others, but I actually thought it was a very touching and kind of uplifting film. Not like, leave with a smile kind of happy, more like an existential restore your faith in humanity kind of feel good. When he makes the right choice in the end and thinks for himself--I see that as kind of a victory. I lent the movie to my boss and her husband (he grew up in Germany) and she said it was the most depressing movie she'd ever seen. I can see that perspective. But the transformation of the Stasi character to a "good man" was just so promising to me.

I agree but it was tough to see what the writer's girlfriend had to go through. The end was great redemption, though. I loved when the kid in the elevator mentioned what his dad thought of the Stasi and then the agent stopped himself from asking the father's name.

Do you ever go to the Chicago International Film Festival? There are always some great films there that may or may not make it to widespread release in America. Sadly, I did not get to attend any screenings this year. I highly recommend it though if you are a film junkie. It is every year in early October. On a similar note, Facets also has some great films in stock for rental as well.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Armageddon makes me feel sad for what has become of Aerosmith. It very nearly brings me to tears.

Armageddon makes me cry because its Michael Bay, Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and the incomparable Steve Buscemi at their worst. Armageddon is exhibit B (Pearl Harbor is Exhibit A) on why a lot of film buff's hate Michael Bay.

Armageddon was so re-god-damn-diculous that I expected Bruce Willis to be projected by the bomb into the air where he then grabbed onto the ship, rode it home, while screaming "yippie-kie-a-motherf***er"

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
Armageddon makes me cry because its Michael Bay, Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and the incomparable Steve Buscemi at their worst. Armageddon is exhibit B (Pearl Harbor is Exhibit A) on why a lot of film buff's hate Michael Bay.

Armageddon was so re-god-damn-diculous that I expected Bruce Willis to be projected by the bomb into the air where he then grabbed onto the ship, rode it home, while screaming "yippie-kie-a-motherf***er"

I wouldn't watch either of those movies if you paid me $50.

I actually like Armageddon. I could see why film buffs would hate it, but sometimes people have to take movies for what they are. In Michael Bay's case, he loves a lot of action and explosions, so I sit back and enjoy the ride. Is it something that would have in reality? 95% of the time, no. But that's what movies are supposed to do, take you away from reality.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I have a similar relationship with Forrest Gump.

First Viewing - Teary eyed; Four Stars!

Second viewing - dry eyes; three stars

third viewing - "This movie is kind of corny"

...last viewing - "take your box of chocolates and go f*** yourself, Forrest!"

Maybe it wasn't that extreme but I did grow to like Forrest less and less each time I would watch the film. I still can' believe it won best picture over Shawshank Redemption.

I could never see Forrest Gump enough times. I've actually watched it twice in a row when they show it back-to-back on TBS.

For the Oscar, you can't really go wrong with Forrest Gump or The Shawshank Redemption.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:44 AM)
Snakes on a Plane?

I mean, I could understand.

No, no, I mean if I'm on a plane and I'm watching a movie, it'll make me tear up. In fact, I think when I went to Nicaragua last year, I believe I almost cried during "No Reservations," "Hairspray" and an episode of "Everyone Loves Raymond"