Jack Zduriencik named Mariners GM

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
So, the long wait for Kim Ng continues. Assuming that Amaro Jr gets the Phillies job after Gillick leaves (as most expect him to do so) I’m guessing the next GM opening will be in Washington.

And my guess is Mike Rizzo ends up with that job.

How Bowden still has a job there, I don't know. Hasn't exactly been the greatest "people" person there by all reports either.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
And my guess is Mike Rizzo ends up with that job.

How Bowden still has a job there, I don't know. Hasn't exactly been the greatest "people" person there by all reports either.

As I recall, he is also involved with the bonus money skimming as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 27, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Because a struggling franchise has never been turned around before and you wouldn't want to put your name on that?

How many franchises have you seen turned around when the ownership declares ahead of time that all decisions will go through them and the GM would have less rights there than anywhere else? Basically, ownership is going to make the decisions, therefore he really doesn't have to do much at all. Again, he's just there to collect a paycheck. I'm not knocking him for it.

Well Seattle should be one of the more attractive jobs out there for a GM anyways.

The payroll is always around the 90-100M mark, attendance is usually good, and that team has got some good players and a decent system.

Don't forget that the team won 88 games in 2007, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were back around .500 next season if Bedard stayed healthy and they find some more offense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
How many franchises have you seen turned around when the ownership declares ahead of time that all decisions will go through them and the GM would have less rights there than anywhere else? Basically, ownership is going to make the decisions, therefore he really doesn't have to do much at all. Again, he's just there to collect a paycheck. I'm not knocking him for it.

I must have missed where Seattle ownership said that. Do you have a source to it?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
I must have missed where Seattle ownership said that. Do you have a source to it?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=sea

According to Armstrong, the Mariners' next GM will have less power than Bavasi did -- especially during his fourth and fifth years with Seattle -- and probably have a smaller player payroll.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)

So are they going to give Zduriencik less power during his 4th and 5th years or are they going to give him less power than Bavasi had, especially in Bavasi's 4th and 5th years? I assume the latter but that's a terribly written sentence all the same.

Regardless, that's honestly too bad. I'd say just tighten the ship up for a while, as any new GM should face, and then let him go out and make calculated decisions. That's usually what happens, especially when you have a good GM at the helm.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been impressed by what I’ve been hearing from this guy so far, and he seems to have a decent idea of what he’s doing. They’ve already assembled a good coaching staff down there, and are establishing a sabermetrics branch for their front office. It’ll be an interesting dichotomy for the next couple years between the stats teams in the AL West (A’s, Mariners), the in-betweens (Rangers), and the big market Angels who seem far less statically inclined.