CJ Retherford interview

southsider2k5

Soxtalk and Chisport.com would love to thank CJ for taking the time to answer your questions and for giving us an excellent interview! Good luck CJ and we all hope to see you in Chicago soon!

How do you feel your undrafted status has effected your ascent through the minors?

I believe that it has not affected me at all. I am not sure how many free agents can say they have played in 95% of their games as a professional and have skipped a level. I talk to a few guys I know signed as free agents and they were lucky to play half time and no one has skipped an entire level after their first year.

Have you spoken to any other undrafted guys who made it? Like Ehren Wassermann, for example?

I have not. I did not even know he was an undrafted player to be honest. I am sure there a number of undrafted players who have made it and I hope I will be as well.

What has been your favorite stadium to play in so far? Least favorite?

I really liked the Wilmingtoon Blue Rocks stadium. It played really big and they always had a good crowd at the game. Their fans were classy and enjoyed a good game of baseball. My least favorite would have to be the Potomac Nationals stadium. Every time we played their it was hot and humid or cold and raining. Not to mention the surface of the field was not that great either.

What's the funniest thing you've seen or experienced in your time in the minors?

My time in the Minors has been pretty calm, but I think its awesome that Adam Ricks played all 9 positions in a game. To watch him play every position in 1 game was a pretty cool thing.

Do you see yourself as being a potential super-utility guy at the major league level, or do you think your best chance at the bigs lies in you mastering one position?

I think when I break into the major leagues I will be a utility guy, but after I am settled in I would like to master one position. It helps that I can play almost every position and I believe it gives me that many more chances to play. Rather than having a backup at every position I could be a backup for 5 or 6 positions which will help out the club more than anything.

CJ, you played lots of different positions in college, do you think that this hindered your development as a player. Side note- in your opinion, did your lack of a position prevent you from being taken in the draft because teams didn't know what you were, or was it simply a case of your talent being overlooked?

I do not think so. If anything I look at it as a benefit and an asset to the organization. Injuries happen in baseball and for most players they do not like being moved around on the field, but I donâ€t mind at all I think it gives me chances to be on the field. As far as being drafted, I am not your typical draftee. I do not have what they consider tools of the game, but I am a baseball player and I believe that may have been overlooked.

Because you didn't have just one position in college do you think that this means that you have even more potential for improvement in your defense now that you can zero in on a position-specific set of skills? Also, do you think that settling in on one defensive position will help you at the plate?

I think it helps that right now I am able to concentrate on one position. I still take groundballs at other positions or even go to the outfield to shag from a position just in case of an emergency.

What's your favorite baseball position to play?

My favorite position would be third base. I have played third mainly for the past 5 years and feel really comfortable there. Also, everyday I find a new challenge that I need to overcome to make me a better third baseman. I like the action it gets whether it be a slow roller or a hot shot.

I read somewhere that you suffered an injury your senior year at Arizona State. What happened and how did it affect your season?

Yes, I had a high ankle sprain about 10 games into the season. It made me miss about 4-5 weeks of full time play. It may have cost me to be an everyday player, but I believe everything happens for a reason and I would not be where I am today without it.

When you went to Arizona State did you see your future as a pitcher or position player?

I always envisioned myself as a position player. I had a chance out of high school to be a pitcher at Arizona State, but I chose to attend junior college to progress my skills as a position player. I always liked the idea of being able o play everyday.

Congrats on your success so far. How is it that pro scouts screwed up and missed drafting you?

I wouldnâ€t say they screwed up. Scouts see thousands and thousands of players every year and I am just one. I am a player you have to see over time to see my talents. Unfortunately, the head scouts only come to see 1 game, and if I am not on that game I could be a complete turn-off. I donâ€t have the tools they like to draft players by, and I am thankful I was given the opportunity to play. Even if I was drafted it would have been in the later rounds and I wouldnâ€t have had any incentives there either. Therefore, I believe I have been given an opportunity to play and am going to take full advantage of it.

Do you have a favorite moment as a pro player so far? A play or game that really stands out in your mind?

My rookie season in Great Falls we were in the Championship game against the Orem Owlz. I came up in the bottom of 9 and we were losing 2-1. The entire crowd was on their feet chanting M-V-P as I had a 10 pitch at bat. In a full count I hit a lead-off homerun to tire the game. That had to be the loudest 3,000 fans I have ever seen in one place. Unfortunately, we ended up losing in the 16th inning but it was an exciting game and I will never forget that moment.

Do you have a favorite moment playing baseball (at any level all the way back to being a kid)? A play, a game, or an experience that really stands out in your mind?

Not specifically. Best experience was playing in the College World Series and hitting a homerun. It was a dream I have had since I was 5 years old. To play in Rosenblatt stadium and to hit a homerun was a dream come true!

How is it that Tim Blackwell decided to have Adam Ricks play every position in a game this year and not you? LOL.

We had talked about it at the beginning of the year actually. Adam Ricks was the perfect candidate for this honor. He was a silent leader on our team. He has also been in the organization longer than I have, and everyone on our team thinks he deserved it without a doubt.

Who is the best player (or players) you played against in college?

TIM LINCECUM! I faced him our junior year. All I have to say is I donâ€t feel so bad about striking out now! He is making a name for himself after just 2 years.

Who is the best player (or players) you have played against in the minors so far?

Matt Weiters probably position player. He is just so smooth and relaxed in everything he does. Very confident in his decisions and represents himself as a big leaguer.

Jake Arrieta probably the best pitcher I have faced in pro ball. He sits around 95 and has a great breaking ball. Mixes his pitches well and can hit his spots.

We'd like to know more about you. Tell us about yourself. What kinds of things do you like to do when you're not playing baseball? What's your favorite food? What kind of music do you like to listen to? Do you have brothers/sisters?

Well I like to consider myself as a normal person. I love to golf with my friends, go out with friends, and play cards of any kind. I graduated from Arizona State in the 4 years allotted and I am starting my Masters online soon. My favorite food would have to be a nice thick steak. I like a nice steak dinner with potatoes and a salad. I listen to just about every type of music there is, mainly I will listen to rap, r&b, country, and some alternative music. I have 1 brother who is 26, he was in the military and went to Iraq 3 years ago.

Did you have a favorite baseball team growing up? Who was your favorite player? Is there any player who you'd compare yourself to in style? Anybody that you patterned yourself after?

I was a diehard Giants fan. Still am. When I was growing up Will Clark was my favorite player. He was a hard worker and played with heart. I liked to pattern myself from Pete Rose. He played with heart everyday, and gave his all no matter if they were up 10 or down 10. Pete played baseball the way it was meant to be played. More recent players I like to consider my play comparable to Dustin Pedroia, also an ASU alum. He is undersized and when signed was not considered to have any of the 5 tools. But he is a Baseball Player and that is what matters. It shows if you put in the hard work and love the game you can create your own destiny.

If you could pick a song that would be played when you came up to bat what would it be?

I donâ€t have any song in particular I just like a song with an up beat tone and good rhythm. Last year I had Rockstar by Ludacris and Kid Rock. It had a guitar intro and then Ludacris would start to rap. It was very up beat song and had good rhythm.

Describe the process of how you came to be signed by the WhiteSox.

I received a call from former Minor League Coordinator Allen Regier about 5 days after the College World Series. He asked if I was still awaiting free agency, and if I would be willing to go play in Montana, he needed an everyday third baseman. I agreed to it and within 3 days I was on a plane to Montana where I signed my contract and completed a physical.

What are the most significant differences you noticed between playing in the Pioneer League last year and the Carolina League this year? Pitching? Overall talent? Other?

The biggest difference I noticed was pitchers were a lot better. They had a at least 2 good pitches and had control of it. We played a lot more games and played each other 20 times each so we knew every player on each team. It was about how fast you could adjust to the way they were pitching you. The players were a little bigger, faster, and stronger as well. Most of the guys their had proved they could handle a full season and still perform. A lot of times guys in rookie still have not made the adjustment to the wood bat, but by High A a lot of the guys had figured out how to make hard solid contact with the ball on a consistent basis.

I've had an ongoing dialogue with a Tribe fan who lives in Winston-Salem and goes to the Warthog games. He had this interesting and funny comment about CJ in one of our conversations...

"They love him here in Winston, if crowd applause is any measure. He's also quite often the 'Biscuitville RBI Guy' so the fans who yearn for coupons to a "down-home country" fast food chain are especially pumped when he bats."

Claim to fame... being the Biscuitville RBI guy... gotta love minor league baseball. :P

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
I've had an ongoing dialogue with a Tribe fan who lives in Winston-Salem and goes to the Warthog games. He had this interesting and funny comment about CJ in one of our conversations...

"They love him here in Winston, if crowd applause is any measure. He's also quite often the 'Biscuitville RBI Guy' so the fans who yearn for coupons to a "down-home country" fast food chain are especially pumped when he bats."

Claim to fame... being the Biscuitville RBI guy... gotta love minor league baseball. :P

My friends from Winston-Salem absolutely love Biscuitville. They swear by it's awesomeness, so I can understand people would love him if he's the "Biscuitville guy" haha

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)

In B'ham, we had the Moe's queso batter of the game. It was whomever was the cleanup hitter that night. If they hit a homer, everybody got free queso dip at Moe's Southwest Grille.