Country-themed mini-parties

witesoxfan

So we are doing country theme parties for every room in the house, and I'm a bit lost as to what I should do...it doesn't have to make perfect sense, but it has to atleast work. One guy is doing Canada and he will be having shots of Icehole in his room, another is Mexico with margaritas, and another is Russia with shots of vodka and white russians. I would be someone like Germany because there's a gazillion possibilities, but I don't want to be stereotypical. Or I could and do Jag bombs (I f***ing shower in that s***), but we'll have to see.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were out here in an area like the U.S. west coast, there's some interesting Asian ones that you can hit, if you have access to either Japanese/Chinese beers and liquor. Stuff people wouldn't have tried before too. But I'm not sure what you could get your hands on in Bismark, SD. (Mao Tai Jui!)

I would recommend doing Puerto Rico and going nuts with the rum drinks. Captain Morgan and Bacardi are both made/headquartered in Puerto Rico (though technically the Captain started in Jamaica and Bacardi started in Cuba). There are plenty of drinks you can make with rum and fruit juice and if you want to fudge it a bit you can do Mojitos (technically Cuban).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
We are actually going to do Jamaica but I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for future use. I think we're going to make a strong Rum Runner and we'll figure out a nice shot to take.

I can give you THE rum runner recipe if you are interested. I can also give you my version of a killer "1 of sour, two of sweet. three of strong, four of weak" authentic Jamaicain rum punch recipe that uses Wray and Nephew overproof to very nice effect. I have a nice tiki shooter called Walk the Plank as well.

Lifelong beer guy though I am, I have taken a hardcore diversion into faux tropical/tiki/Caribbean rum drinks this past year. Last night I made some tweaks on an unbalanced Appleton rum and sweet vermouth drink with a couple ounces of passionfruit juice and a couple of dashes of bitters and ended up with a really nice keeper cocktail that I think I'll dub the Passionate Pirate.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
I can give you THE rum runner recipe if you are interested. I can also give you my version of a killer "1 of sour, two of sweet. three of strong, four of weak" authentic Jamaicain rum punch recipe that uses Wray and Nephew overproof to very nice effect. I have a nice tiki shooter called Walk the Plank as well.

Lifelong beer guy though I am, I have taken a hardcore diversion into faux tropical/tiki/Caribbean rum drinks this past year. Last night I made some tweaks on an unbalanced Appleton rum and sweet vermouth drink with a couple ounces of passionfruit juice and a couple of dashes of bitters and ended up with a really nice keeper cocktail that I think I'll dub the Passionate Pirate.

I want you...

...r recipes. I am intrigued as hell.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)
I want you...

...r recipes. I am intrigued as hell.

It's good to feel wanted. . . :unsure:

The rumrunner is one of those drinks that 10 different places will make 10 different ways. Not as bad as some of the things that pass for mai tais, but close.

The original rumrunner was created at the Tiki bar, Holiday Isles on Islamorada in the Florida Keys - a big treehouse kid of hangout that was probably the best bar in the upper Keys (Developers have targeted it for demolition and that may already have happended). It was a drink made specifically to use up excess inventory of banana liqour, blackberry brandy, and 151 rum and became an unintentional sensation and signature drink. It was always served frozen in the original form, but most other places have non-frozen versions as well.

Here's the original recipe:

½ oz Bacardi Select Rum

½ oz Barcardi 151 Rum (I usually use Cruzan 151)

7/8 oz Hiram Walker Blackberry Brandy

7/8 oz Hiram Walker Banana Liqueur (I preferr Juacim's or however it is spelled. Stay away from DuKuyper as it is way too overpowering, or cut the amount back if you have to use it).

5/8 oz Grenadine

1 oz Lime Juice

Freeze in blender and serve in 12 oz glass.

If you're not doing frozen, this recipe is going to be too strong and unbalanced, so a couple of ounces of pineapple and orange juice will be needed to cut it back. A lot of recipes use the Roses wsweetened lime juice but I use fresh in the Tiki bar version. Play with it a little to balance the banana liquour. But DO NOT omit the blackberry brandy and banana liquour or else it isn't a rum runner.

Don't forget to have some Red Stripe on hand for the beer drinkers.

What is your technique for frozen at home? I just can not get the right consistency. I'm holding off on the $300 margarita machine.

And besides the obvious alcohol kick, what flavoring role does the overproofed rum play in recipes? I am always tempted to substitute the 151.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
What is your technique for frozen at home? I just can not get the right consistency. I'm holding off on the $300 margarita machine.

And besides the obvious alcohol kick, what flavoring role does the overproofed rum play in recipes? I am always tempted to substitute the 151.

Sadly, you can't get the right consistency using most household blenders. I'm in the same boat, but if I use a cup of crushed ice I get pretty close with just a couple larger ice chunks in the mix. The Tiki Bar used regular blenders at first and kept burning them out so they switched to frozen custard machines.

Flavor-wise almost all of the overproof rums are awful, hot, medicinal and just way too alcolholic on their own. The two exceptions for me are Cruzans 120 proof (though it's their 151 I use in rumrunners) and the very elusive Lemon Hart Demerara 151. Those both are also meant to be used in mixers or as floats as well, but they habe got some character and balance that the others lack.

That said, the Wray and Nephew overproof white rum (around 140 proof I think) is a staple ingrediant in lots of high-octane rum punches. I use it with a novel twist in my "3 of Strong" rum punch. I steep whole dried allspice berries (another Jamaican traditional food and drink ingredient) in my overproof at a rate of 5 berries per ounce of rum for 24 hours. This is my lazy version of a hard-to-find liqueur called pimento dram or pimento liqueur that a lot of classic tiki drinks call for.

My ever-evolving 3 of Strong rum punch, as it stands now consists of:

1 oz. fresh squeezed lemon juice

("1 of Sour")

3/4 oz pineapple juice

3/4 oz orange juice

3/4 oz Jamaican strawberry syrup

("2 of Sweet" - and yes I realize that if you add it up it's 2.25 ounces. It keeps me awake at night, but this is what the drink calls for)

1.5 oz Jamaican amber rum

1/2 oz dark rum (Myers or Coruba if you are going 100% authentic Jamaican, but I've been using Trader Vic's dark rum which is a blend of Jamaican rum and aged Martinique rhum - probably the only TV rum I'd consider using for anything.)

1/2 oz allspice-infused Wray and Nephew overproof

("3 of strong")

4 oz club soda

("4 of week" - If you go online or into the recipe books and look at a bunch of the "1,2,3,4. . " singsong rum punches, many of them just toss in the ice as their "4 of week". Historically, the plantation rums probably just had regular water in them as the week ingredient -- much like historic navy grog --, but going with club soda here giuves the punch some lightness. Not cutting my recipe with some club soda makes it too strong and too sweet)

I usually make this by the glass, but it is better by the bowl, with ice and cut fruit in it, and it gets better as it sits and mellows. If you don't want to mess with the overproof, just follow the same recipe with an ounce each of light, amber, and dark rum.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
/going shopping thanks.

I'm also picking up the book you see as my avatar. Sounds really interesting and I enjoy eating, and drinking, history.

OMG, Beachbum Berry is THE GUY for classic tiki information! You will LOVE that book! Mine is so dogeared and stained with drink ingredients it's not even funny. The book is an outstanding history of Tiki, from Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic to Harry K. Yee (creater of the Tropical itch and the Blue Hawaii - not to mention the first guy to stick a paper parasol into an exotic drink), Ray Biehn of Tiki Ti, etc., etc., . . . Priceless book if you are serious about your tiki.

Jeff's two earlier books, Grog Log and Intoxica, are spiral bound self-published books that are harder to find now. More straight up recipe books but still with some great history.

Fair warning: When you see some of the classic drinks that require 8, 9, and as many as 11 different ingredients in them, you are going to curse up a storm as you get your home bar stocked. It killed me to shell out $30 for a bottle of Pernod that most drinks require in amounts of around 6-8 drops (!!). But, if you don't include it, your drink just falls flat.

When you do the donga punch recipe, take the time to make your own cinnamon syrup with real ceylon cinnamon. I used the Starbucks version for a while but it's just too overpowering. The difference is that the premade syrups all use the hard cinnamon that is not the same as the ceylon cinnamon (aka canella bark, aka white cinnamon, the milder and cheaper stuff Badia sells in the ethnic section of the grocery store).

Also, do the Don the Beachcomber Carribean Punch at earliest opportunity. Calling for saraspirilla soda, it sounds odd, but it is outstanding.

A`ole pilikia!