Country-themed mini-parties

witesoxfan

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
It's good to feel wanted. . . :unsure:

The rumrunner is one of those drinks that 10 different places will make 10 different ways. Not as bad as some of the things that pass for mai tais, but close.

The original rumrunner was created at the Tiki bar, Holiday Isles on Islamorada in the Florida Keys - a big treehouse kid of hangout that was probably the best bar in the upper Keys (Developers have targeted it for demolition and that may already have happended). It was a drink made specifically to use up excess inventory of banana liqour, blackberry brandy, and 151 rum and became an unintentional sensation and signature drink. It was always served frozen in the original form, but most other places have non-frozen versions as well.

Here's the original recipe:

½ oz Bacardi Select Rum

½ oz Barcardi 151 Rum (I usually use Cruzan 151)

7/8 oz Hiram Walker Blackberry Brandy

7/8 oz Hiram Walker Banana Liqueur (I preferr Juacim's or however it is spelled. Stay away from DuKuyper as it is way too overpowering, or cut the amount back if you have to use it).

5/8 oz Grenadine

1 oz Lime Juice

Freeze in blender and serve in 12 oz glass.

If you're not doing frozen, this recipe is going to be too strong and unbalanced, so a couple of ounces of pineapple and orange juice will be needed to cut it back. A lot of recipes use the Roses wsweetened lime juice but I use fresh in the Tiki bar version. Play with it a little to balance the banana liquour. But DO NOT omit the blackberry brandy and banana liquour or else it isn't a rum runner.

Don't forget to have some Red Stripe on hand for the beer drinkers.

In no way am I directing this post towards you, Flasoxx, but I have a few in me and feel like saying this.

Who else reads threads they're not really interested in until they see a post that seems too long to read, and then just completely throws the thread away? I do it all the time.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Cuba.

Mojitos are awesome and if you have a smoking house you can have cigars. Also you can make it tropical and encourage women to wear bikinis.

Then after they get drunk, you can chain them to tables and have them make shoes for 5 cents an hour.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
In no way am I directing this post towards you, Flasoxx, but I have a few in me and feel like saying this.

Who else reads threads they're not really interested in until they see a post that seems too long to read, and then just completely throws the thread away? I do it all the time.

No offense taken. My wife tells me to shut the fµ@k up all the time too. :lolhitting

I'll just keep my recipe for the perfect mai tai to myself then. ;)

Unsolicited information alert!

I'm taking back any perceived recommendation for the Trader Vic's "Authentic Dark" rum from earlier posts. I just opened a new bottle and they've gone and screwed it up. There's a distinct vanilla taste in the flavor profile now that has never been as prominent as it is now, and it definitely made an unbalanced rum punch when i tried to use it as the only dark rum in the mix. I'm sure it will lend depth used sparingly here and there, but steer clear of TV dark as a backbone rum in your drinks. Coruba, Myers, or Goslings are all much better options.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
Unsolicited information alert!

I'm taking back any perceived recommendation for the Trader Vic's "Authentic Dark" rum from earlier posts. I just opened a new bottle and they've gone and screwed it up. There's a distinct vanilla taste in the flavor profile now that has never been as prominent as it is now, and it definitely made an unbalanced rum punch when i tried to use it as the only dark rum in the mix. I'm sure it will lend depth used sparingly here and there, but steer clear of TV dark as a backbone rum in your drinks. Coruba, Myers, or Goslings are all much better options.

BTW thank you for the recipe. I can't go into details, but much fun was had while sipping rum punches at then island this weekend. ;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
BTW thank you for the recipe. I can't go into details, but much fun was had while sipping rum punches at then island this weekend. ;)

Did you use the Wray and Nephew overproof? If so, did you do the allspice infusion?

Hope it came out well. It sounds like it helped fuel a bit of. . . relaxation at any rate.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Did you use the Wray and Nephew overproof? If so, did you do the allspice infusion?

Hope it came out well. It sounds like it helped fuel a bit of. . . relaxation at any rate.

I gave the recipe to my favorite island bartender, along with a flameproof gallon container, and had him mix me up a big batch. I bought some crushed ice and whirled it away in the blender back at the condo.

It paired nicely with the chilled shrimp at lunch. The grilled fish and crab cakes at dinner. I did have to walk to the store to get some fruit for garnish.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
Australia - Fosters.

Doubt you'll have many happy people around you, after they drink that though.

Yeah but it beats the hell out of that gawdawful Victoria's Bitter.

I could go for a couple of Tooheys Olds right about now though.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
I gave the recipe to my favorite island bartender, along with a flameproof gallon container, and had him mix me up a big batch. I bought some crushed ice and whirled it away in the blender back at the condo.

It paired nicely with the chilled shrimp at lunch. The grilled fish and crab cakes at dinner. I did have to walk to the store to get some fruit for garnish.

:lolhitting

I was drinking Planter's Punch last night but I have some Pimento Dram steeping and I think it's a Jamaica Punch night tonight.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
:lolhitting

I was drinking Planter's Punch last night but I have some Pimento Dram steeping and I think it's a Jamaica Punch night tonight.

It was a sad moment when the gallon was empty. I figure I got a bargain. $20 plus a $10 tip. He is my favorite. He even tossed in the use of a couple glasses but no paper umbrellas.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
It was a sad moment when the gallon was empty. I figure I got a bargain. $20 plus a $10 tip. He is my favorite. He even tossed in the use of a couple glasses but no paper umbrellas.

Hell, that is a bargain. If I send you a jug can you get it filled for me? :D

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Yeah but it beats the hell out of that gawdawful Victoria's Bitter.

I could go for a couple of Tooheys Olds right about now though.

That's easily the worst beer I've ever seen.

It's even worse than PBR, and that's saying something.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
That's easily the worst beer I've ever seen.

It's even worse than PBR, and that's saying something.

They served VB on the plane from LA to Sydney, and I was amazed at how horrid it was. It took a good three Nelson's Bloods down in the Rocks the night I landed to get the taste of VB out of my mouth.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
They served VB on the plane from LA to Sydney, and I was amazed at how horrid it was. It took a good three Nelson's Bloods down in the Rocks the night I landed to get the taste of VB out of my mouth.

There's a legend that an Australian Cricket Player once downed 57 cans of VB on a flight from Sydney to London and lived to tell the tale.

But that beer really does give my home state a bad name.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm partial to picking good 'ol America, and having bourbon/whiskey shots as the drink of choice. Maybe Jack Daniels or Maker's Mark... You could always make mixed drinks or whiskey sours if you're looking for something a little easier to take than shots.