Rod Blagojevich

StrangeSox

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27341031

Gov. Rod Blagojevich may be the least liked politician in America. A new poll shows only 10 percent want him re-elected in 2010. Add that to the 13 percent who approve of Blagojevich's job performance -- that's even worse than President Bush's 18 percent approval ratings. The Chicago Tribune poll surveyed 500 likely voters last week. The governor has become such a polarizing figure that both Republicans and Democrats are using him in negative ads. State Sen. Debbie Halvorson, a Democratic candidate for Congress in the 11th district, is now using the contributions of businessman Marty Ozinga, her opponent, to Blagojevich as a reason to vote for her. Blagojevich's approval ratings are lower than George Ryan's during his last weeks as governor when it was clear he was the target of a federal probe. With Blagojevich's top fundraiser Tony Rezko soon to be sentenced and talking to federal authorities, there is heightened speculation Blagojevich may soon face the same fate as Ryan. Perhaps the only folks who will still speak in favor of the governor are those who'd like to replace Sen. Barack Obama should he win the presidency. The governor will get to appoint Obama's replacement, and there is a long list of those who'd like that job. In fact, the governor could even appoint himself. So, while the governor has said he's interested in running for a third term, others are anxiously waiting in the wings as well. While no one has yet declared officially, the Democrats showing interest are Attorney General Lisa Madigan, State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, Bill Daley, Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn, and Dan Hynes. Possible Republicans are Rep. Tom Cross, Sen. Bill Brady, Sen. Christine Radogono and Ron Gidwitz.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Couldn't we just get rid of this guy like they did with Davis in California a few years back? What was that, a recall or something? Maybe we can get Jean Claude Van Damme to replace him.

Illinois doesnt have a recall process, but it has been talked about very heavily. It's part of the reason they want to hold a constitutional convention. I dont think it'll happen. We'll just have to vote his rear end out in 2 years.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Couldn't we just get rid of this guy like they did with Davis in California a few years back? What was that, a recall or something? Maybe we can get Jean Claude Van Damme to replace him.

Madigan has passed around a document to the state house and senate on how to accomplish a recall.

Since there's no filibuster catch all I added this here since he's another local pol.

Mayor Daley on Thursday issued a sarcastic blanket apology for the alleged torture of suspects by former Chicago Police Lt. Jon Burge. The best way is to say, 'Okay. I apologize to everybody [for] whatever happened to anybody in the city of Chicago.' So, I apologize to everybody. Whatever happened to them in the city of Chicago in the past, I apologize," Daley said.

What a douche.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
Oh if he really wanted to piss everyone in the state off, he could appoint himself to Obama's position. That'd be awesome.

Actually, I have heard talk about this for awhile. Not only could he appoint himself Senator, but as a Senator, traditional "senatorial courtesy" would dictate that he could influence the appointment of the new U.S. attorney charged with his potential prosecution. Although I wouldn't put an attempt at such a scheme past Blago, I really can't see Durbin or Obama allowing that to happen.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
donkey-democrat-logo.jpg

"Everyone take a step back and remember Illinois, and Chicago, are run by Democrats. That means it's perfect. Done and done. "

Everybody knows that, however 90% of people wont acknowledge the significance that has in the current election. They seem to think that Obama got his feet wet in Chicago politics without corruption.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
Everybody knows that, however 90% of people wont acknowledge the significance that has in the current election. They seem to think that Obama got his feet wet in Chicago politics without corruption.

Good sir, how dare you question The Great Leader.

:usa

USA! USA! USA!

Yeah, for all the reasons you hear about why you should be afraid of Obama, the only REAL reason I think you should legitimately worry about him in power is the fact he's a product of the machine. I don't think most people outside of Illinois have any idea how bad the Chicago and Illinois governments are, and although I don't like playing guilt by association, I am forced to do so with ANY politician from this area, regardless of political affiliation.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Good sir, how dare you question The Great Leader.

:usa

USA! USA! USA!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Yeah, for all the reasons you hear about why you should be afraid of Obama, the only REAL reason I think you should legitimately worry about him in power is the fact he's a product of the machine. I don't think most people outside of Illinois have any idea how bad the Chicago and Illinois governments are, and although I don't like playing guilt by association, I am forced to do so with ANY politician from this area, regardless of political affiliation.

I see the GOP is already building its themes for after the election.

Daley's machine is corrupt, no doubt about it. And there is plenty of corruption elsewhere in Chicago politics. Look at our governor.

But I can tell you, from personal experience, that not EVERYONE is corrupt and evil. You can take the cop-out route and believe that if you want, because its easier. But it just isn't the case. In fact, in terms of state reps and senators, I am confident that the majority of them in IL are pretty clean, and truly want to do things for their districts and their state.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
I see the GOP is already building its themes for after the election.

Daley's machine is corrupt, no doubt about it. And there is plenty of corruption elsewhere in Chicago politics. Look at our governor.

But I can tell you, from personal experience, that not EVERYONE is corrupt and evil. You can take the cop-out route and believe that if you want, because its easier. But it just isn't the case. In fact, in terms of state reps and senators, I am confident that the majority of them in IL are pretty clean, and truly want to do things for their districts and their state.

Illinois is home to the most corrupt city (Chicago) and state government in the United States, and it's really not even close. You can call it "building themes", but it's reality. I don't believe every person in government in this state is bad, but the government overall is as fraudulent as it gets.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Illinois is home to the most corrupt city (Chicago) and state government in the United States, and it's really not even close. You can call it "building themes", but it's reality. I don't believe every person in government in this state is bad, but the government overall is as fraudulent as it gets.

No, its not anything like reality. I can name any number of cities that are FAR more corrupt than Chicago. Hell, I lived in one - Memphis. Another good example is New Orleans. Your hyperbole is ridiculous.

Also, even in what actually are the most corrupt governments, there are people who are not. To see corruption in some and apply it to all is just the easy way out.

Further, think about this for a few moments. Obama has been scrutinized more deeply than any Presidential candidate before, except maybe McCain. Digging gets deeper every election. And the only "corruption" anyone could find was that real estate deal involving Rezko, which wasn't illegal, but probably was an inappropriate "favor". If there was worse in his past, it would have been found. It wasn't. That tells me what I need to know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Obama has been scrutinized more deeply than any Presidential candidate before

I have the exact opposite opinion. Maybe I'll follow up on this my MSM media critique thread.

I don't dislike Obama, I don't care if he wins.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
I have the exact opposite opinion. Maybe I'll follow up on this my MSM media critique thread.

I don't dislike Obama, I don't care if he wins.

Regardless of party or candidate, each election cycle in my lifetime has had more digging into every possible corner of the candidates' lives, looking for skeletons. This election it has gone even further than the last, and the same each cycle back. Obama and McCain have been more scrutinized than Bush or Kerry, Kerry more than Bush or Gore, Bush and Gore more than Clinton or Dole, etc.

Now, if you are saying that these candidates are being asked fewer and fewer substantive, salient questions, then I agree. The media, in general, has shied away from the issues and qualifications and leadership, and chosen to instead dig into their personal, professional and financial lives. That's the differentiation I am trying to make here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
No, its not anything like reality. I can name any number of cities that are FAR more corrupt than Chicago. Hell, I lived in one - Memphis. Another good example is New Orleans. Your hyperbole is ridiculous.

Also, even in what actually are the most corrupt governments, there are people who are not. To see corruption in some and apply it to all is just the easy way out.

Further, think about this for a few moments. Obama has been scrutinized more deeply than any Presidential candidate before, except maybe McCain. Digging gets deeper every election. And the only "corruption" anyone could find was that real estate deal involving Rezko, which wasn't illegal, but probably was an inappropriate "favor". If there was worse in his past, it would have been found. It wasn't. That tells me what I need to know.

The truth is that the current Daley couldnt hold a candle to the level of corruption Richie J had. The guy was able to swing an entire Presidential election in 1960, determine the nominee in 1968.