Steve Stone

Princess Dye

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see us being a good fit to trade with the Brewers with our current farm system. We don't have the pitching down there that they are going to want. The only way I see us being able to acquire Hardy is a three-way deal where we send Dye/Konerko. I'd like Hardy as well, really don't see it happening.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
Understatement. Weeks is the worst defensive 2B in the league.

Hence I wouldn't play him there. Only in CF (e.g B.J Upton) although I can't remember how strong his arm is.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
I don't see us being a good fit to trade with the Brewers with our current farm system. We don't have the pitching down there that they are going to want. The only way I see us being able to acquire Hardy is a three-way deal where we send Dye/Konerko. I'd like Hardy as well, really don't see it happening.

Javy is a pretty good fit for them actually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
Javy is a pretty good fit for them actually.

Yeah I think it is also, depending on if Melvin wants to take on that salary I guess.

But I could certainly see a Weeks or Hardy deal for Vazquez taking place, if the Sox decided to go after Garcia in the off-season or another FA SP.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/figgich01.shtml

OK, I'm on the fence with Figgins, leaning towards not being very impressed, but I'm open to arguments for him. So those posters who are in favor of the Sox obtaining him, tell me why. Please just don't say "speed" speed alone is overrated

I'd suggest that speed is UNDERrated. Stolen bases, though, are overrated by some, and some people look at speed as simply stolen bases. The value of speed is much broader than that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
I'd suggest that speed is UNDERrated. Stolen bases, though, are overrated by some, and some people look at speed as simply stolen bases. The value of speed is much broader than that.

That's a good point. I was refering to people just pointing at SBs and completely missing a guys SLG or OBP.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
That's a good point. I was refering to people just pointing at SBs and completely missing a guys SLG or OBP.

Figgins is overrated, in my opinion, but he is valuable due to his OBP, AVE, and speed. I don't think he should be a "get at all costs" kind of guy, and I very much doubt the Angels would trade him for what I would give up for him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
Yeah I think it is also, depending on if Melvin wants to take on that salary I guess.

But I could certainly see a Weeks or Hardy deal for Vazquez taking place, if the Sox decided to go after Garcia in the off-season or another FA SP.

I would say that Javy, although a little thin between the ears, is signed at a fairly inexpensive rate. He's an innings eater and a strikeout machine. He'll probably make $5-$7 million less than what Sabathia will get, so, I think he'd be a decent pickup for a team like Milwaukee.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
I would say that Javy, although a little thin between the ears, is signed at a fairly inexpensive rate. He's an innings eater and a strikeout machine. He'll probably make $5-$7 million less than what Sabathia will get, so, I think he'd be a decent pickup for a team like Milwaukee.

I don't know why he is called inexpensive when he makes $11 million a year and generally gives you a .500 record with an ERA at or above league average. He may have talent, but if you use results, he's an average at best pitcher. $11 million for that is very high.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
From Stoney's blog...

"All has been quiet on the White Sox front as Kenny Williams and company have to decide #1 what team they want and what kind of team they are able to acquire for next year. Some time those 2 things are not exactly compatible. [/v]

Although the list of free agents is not official quite yet, it's safe to say the Sox will not be in the battle for CC Sabathia.

The Sox, who have had a few too many people on their disabled list recently, probably don�t have enough room on their roster for Ben Sheets so don�t go look after him.

But there are some intriguing lower level agents that the White Sox might have some interest in.

I believe that Kenny has at least one, possible 2 blockbuster deals that he will participate in; one that I am not at liberty to discuss at this point and a couple others that I can only guess at.

But the Sox know that he have some work to do because the Indians will get better, Detroit will get older and Minnesota is always pretty tough."

Great, great line, that bears repeating ad naseum to many fans. Kenny knows what the weaknesses of this team are, and he has for years. Just because he can't get the ideal guys to fill those weaknesses, doesn't mean he won't make other moves that still improve the team for 2k9.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
I don't know why he is called inexpensive when he makes $11 million a year and generally gives you a .500 record with an ERA at or above league average. He may have talent, but if you use results, he's an average at best pitcher. $11 million for that is very high.

Probably right, but the contract is what it is at this point. I think he's a valuable 4-5 starter because he will eat innings and usually give your team a 50/50 shot to win. If some team is willing to give you quality talent or eat his entire contract so the Sox can sign or trade for another player than great, but if Vazquez is your 4 or 5th starter your team has larger problems. The Sox are also a top payroll team, and luxuries like an overpriced slightly above average pitchers are OK.

Most of the teams in the playoffs would have been screwed if their 4th or 5th starter had to start alot of big games. Do you think the Red Sox would have been thrilled to have Wakefield start in similar games to Javy? Unfortunately the Sox couldn't sew up the division early enough

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
Personally, I don't see the Brewers trading Hardy for Vazquez. I just can't see Vazquez returning a solid starter, especially a SS. The demand for Hardy would be high.

The thing is that the Brewers want to move Hardy to make way for another top prospect, Hardy is one of their major chips this offseason and with the loss of Sheets and CC, they need to bring in another starter, preferably one who can eat innings and win some games. Javy fits that mold decently, especially comparative to what other teams may offer (Marquis-type)

And you have to wonder what would Vaz get if he was a FA also.

He should still have some value around the league no doubt.

Still unless it was for the "right deal / player" I'd probably hang onto him. You can never have enough pitching.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
Personally, I don't see the Brewers trading Hardy for Vazquez. I just can't see Vazquez returning a solid starter, especially a SS. The demand for Hardy would be high.

You also have to consider that the Brewers will be staring at a huge void in their rotation after CC and Sheets hit the market. With not too many options available. Javy is signed, and even though we all see his complete crappiness, he has ability. The brewers may bite out of necessity

This offseason is I think going to remind me of 2005...Think about it..Kenny said almost the same thing at the end of 2004 as he is saying now. He knows pitching, speed, and defense win a championship! It did in 2005...

Surprises I could definitely see come from the NL...I don't think we'll sign Hudson because he will want a longer deal and we won't give it to him. He has been injured the last few seasons so it is a risk to do so..I think the Mets and Brewers are two teams that would be interested in Vazquez. I could see Luis Castillo being a possible. Would give us a guy who could bunt, thank god! Mike Cameron could be a possible to patrol center...Personally I'd like to see Chone, but I don't think it will happen. i felt it could of happened last year for Konerko, but it didn't.

Dye would attract lots of teams and he has only 1 year left I believe on his contract. He came off a great year and I could see even a team like Tampa being interested in him if they don't win the series. A veteran with a ring for Carl Crawford would be nice! If there is one player I would love to have here and I wouldn't care what it would cost would be Manny!!! I mean come on the guy is a winner... Trade Bait wise we have

Dye (the most)

Vazquez (NL)

Konerko waives his no trade, good 2nd half

Thome isn't going anywhere, he's a hometown guy

Swisher isn't going anywhere

Fields (pretty good)

It is going to be a fun offseason!!

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
I hope the surprise is that Thome/Konerko will be traded for figgins. Or that Vazquez will waive his no trade and get out of here.

If it's either of those two straight up for Chone, then yuck! And BTW, Chone got the reputation last year as a bad clubhouse presence. KW and Ozzie better do their research on a guy's personality prior to any big acquisitions.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
If that is the case, I would LOVE to have Fielder, and would give up a ton to get him.

Mo started to break down at age 34. Prince is 24. As a 32 year old, Mo still hit 36 HR's with an .863 OPS.

Vaughn ate his way out of baseball, that's what I meant rather than a numbers comparison.