Steve Stone

Princess Dye

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
You also have to consider that the Brewers will be staring at a huge void in their rotation after CC and Sheets hit the market. With not too many options available. Javy is signed, and even though we all see his complete crappiness, he has ability. The brewers may bite out of necessity

Javier Vazquez is not capable of filling CC/Sheets' void. If the Brewers think that he does, good luck. Good for us. You've got to get long-lasting quality for a young all-star SS. That's the direction I see the Brewers going. I don't see them making a rash move just fill a rotation spot. Getting 2-3 quality pitching prospects for Hardy could ultimately allow them to keep Prince long-term. Considering their system is lacking quality pitching prospects badly, I think it's the right move.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
What is the Angels' outlook at 1b/DH?

Is Teix expected to return?

I can't see the Angels making another splash in the market this off season, after the past two, but who knows. There has been some talk of him going to the Yankees because Giambi is off the books. Baltimore is also a possibility but he won't take a hometown discount IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I don't know why he is called inexpensive when he makes $11 million a year and generally gives you a .500 record with an ERA at or above league average. He may have talent, but if you use results, he's an average at best pitcher. $11 million for that is very high.

I think what is really sad is that a lifetime .500 pitcher commands this kind of money, but it ain't just Javy Vazquez getting paid that much. He can be very good and we might find it a bargain to keep him for his 12-15 wins, but I wouldn't have any heartburn over a trade for something we need in return. You just don't give the guy away like some are suggesting.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
That's a good point. I was refering to people just pointing at SBs and completely missing a guys SLG or OBP.

I think your Avatar is great and you need to post much more so I can look at it all the time. It is probably the bestest angle shot I have ever seen. Where did you get it so I can go there. :notworthy

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Vaughn ate his way out of baseball, that's what I meant rather than a numbers comparison.

Im pretty sure Fielder became a vegetarrian or vegan even going into this season. Your reasoning definitely is lacking here lol. Plenty of fat successful players.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Javier Vazquez is not capable of filling CC/Sheets' void. If the Brewers think that he does, good luck. Good for us. You've got to get long-lasting quality for a young all-star SS. That's the direction I see the Brewers going. I don't see them making a rash move just fill a rotation spot. Getting 2-3 quality pitching prospects for Hardy could ultimately allow them to keep Prince long-term. Considering their system is lacking quality pitching prospects badly, I think it's the right move.

I disagree with your value of Vazquez. Last year, the Sox traded a middle of the road starter for an all-star shortstop. It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but I think Vaz has a pretty good value. If he was a FA, he'd be getting a 5-6 year contract for at least what he's making now.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Not a good trade for the Sox either way

See...I don't understand this. Why wouldn't PK for Figgins straight up (with possibly some B prospect to the Sox) be a good move? If there's more there...sure you have to look at it like including some peeps for Santana. But if not you get Paulie's numbers off the book. Move Swish to 1B. Have a versatile player with some speed in the order that would take over the leadoff spot everybody's been b****ing about the last few years. Why is this not good? Don't get me wrong...I love Paulie and all he's done for this franchise...but it's the sum of the whole IMO and what it does for the team in general.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
I disagree with your value of Vazquez. Last year, the Sox traded a middle of the road starter for an all-star shortstop. It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but I think Vaz has a pretty good value. If he was a FA, he'd be getting a 5-6 year contract for at least what he's making now.

Not a chance on a 5 or 6 year contract. Neither the Yankees or White Sox gave him that long when he was younger.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Because Figgins isn't that good of a player. Obviously Figgins has more value to the Sox than most teams, but your selling Konerko short, like a lot of Sox fans do.

Let's talk again next year when he gets off slowly or has an injury problem Tony. But I agree that Figgins has more value to the Sox than most teams. Problem I see...is much like Crede when his value was great after the WS win...is cutting guys loose to improve the team overall. Again...don't get me wrong...I love Paulie and what he brings to the table. But there's only a handful of teams Paulie would ok a deal to and Angels being one of them. So the pickens is slim IMO if we need to move either Dye, Paulie or Thome.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
If it's either of those two straight up for Chone, then yuck! And BTW, Chone got the reputation last year as a bad clubhouse presence. KW and Ozzie better do their research on a guy's personality prior to any big acquisitions.

Unfortuantely, when it comes to veteran players, Kenny has a habit of overrating and acquiring certain players. Last year's poster child was Swisher..my fear is that Figgins will be this years entry.

And for God's sake people, look at Figgin's stats and tell me that he is a good player! A third baseman that drove in all of 22 runs!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)

Hardy is a much better player than Orlando. Not to mention much cheaper, younger, and signed for multiple seasons. I'm not saying Vazquez has no value, he has good value, but if I was the Brewers, there's no chance I'm dealing Hardy for him.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
It wouldn't exactly be a surprise or shocking if it is the most expected move. Shocking would be a trade of one of our team core like Buerhle, Konerko, Thome, or Dye.

Those guys are no longer the core of the team. Well Buehrle is and you could make a case that Paulie still is but the others probably won't be along much longer. I consider the core Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Ramirez/Quentin/Jenks.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/figgich01.shtml

OK, I'm on the fence with Figgins, leaning towards not being very impressed, but I'm open to arguments for him. So those posters who are in favor of the Sox obtaining him, tell me why. Please just don't say "speed" speed alone is overrated

Figgins is a great fit and I like the guy a lot when he's 100% but he's had two straight injury plagued seasons and I just think there are better options out there. That said I'd be excitd to have him and I guess you could move Paulie expecting Swisher to slide into first and play better (although I still don't consider Swisher an acceptable first baseman). Prince Fielder is definitely an intriguing name if the Sox opted to move Thome or Konerko.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I can't see the Angels making another splash in the market this off season, after the past two, but who knows. There has been some talk of him going to the Yankees because Giambi is off the books. Baltimore is also a possibility but he won't take a hometown discount IMO.

The Angels didn't win the series and if they don't sign Tex than they'll be in the market for a first baseman. They could fall back on Kendry Morales though, who is a guy I would target if the Sox used a couple trips and opened up a spot at 1B. Morales can be a pretty damn good pickup and develop into a good 5 hole hitter.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Arte loves to spend money, and I don't see that stopping. If anything, the last few years have been disappointments in LA, so you might see an even bigger push from him.

Plus they'll have Frankie, Garland and Garret Anderson's fat contracts coming off there books. Well, maybe not huge contracts, but still expensive. Unfortunately they are still stuck with Matthews Jr.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
Unfortuantely, when it comes to veteran players, Kenny has a habit of overrating and acquiring certain players. Last year's poster child was Swisher..my fear is that Figgins will be this years entry.

And for God's sake people, look at Figgin's stats and tell me that he is a good player! A third baseman that drove in all of 22 runs!

He's a leadoff hitter and I'd hope the Sox would stick Figgins in CF. They have needed a CFer for years and there is no reason Figgins couldn't be a league average defensive CF (if not better). Figgins has a plus arm too.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)

What is wrong with our line-up is that we think we need 80 RBI guys at every position. That'd be nice, but balance would be much, much easier to attain. Chone kills about a million birds with one stone:

-Plays 3B, 2B, and CF. Fittingly our 3 positions of need.

-Adds mega speed to the slowest team in baseball

-Can bat first and put up a .365 OBP(!!!)

I don't know how you can say he isn't a good player. He could single handily fix our offense if everyone else returned.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
What is wrong with our line-up is that we think we need 80 RBI guys at every position. That'd be nice, but balance would be much, much easier to attain. Chone kills about a million birds with one stone:

-Plays 3B, 2B, and CF. Fittingly our 3 positions of need.

-Adds mega speed to the slowest team in baseball

-Can bat first and put up a .365 OBP(!!!)

I don't know how you can say he isn't a good player. He could single handily fix our offense if everyone else returned.

^This

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Possibly trading Thome or Swisher for a CF'er and then signing Texeira?

Just the idea of the Sox getting on the phone with Borass and sustaining a cordial conversation for more than five minutes would be an enormous surprise. That said, I like the Sox stance on Borass when it concerns MLB players because I don't like the idea of giving out 5+ year contracts to players without that many good seasons, or longterm contracts that take players well past their primes, or teams bidding against themselves, or paying average players star money and star players superstar money, etc. It's just the whole "we won't draft prospects repped by Borass" mentality that gets me.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
The Angels didn't win the series and if they don't sign Tex than they'll be in the market for a first baseman. They could fall back on Kendry Morales though, who is a guy I would target if the Sox used a couple trips and opened up a spot at 1B. Morales can be a pretty damn good pickup and develop into a good 5 hole hitter.

Kendry is intriguing but his career high in walks over a full season of pro baseball is 31. He doesn't K much at all, but he's never come close to equaling out his K and BB numbers and that would concern me against better pitching, especially for a 1B. He usually K's about twice as much as he walks, and a contact-type hitter like that just doesn't do it for me without some serious power. I like the 1B position to be filled by guys who will walk enough to maintain a solid season OBP so that way they're still valuable in some area when they're not hitting for power. If Kendry were a MIF, C, or CF I'd love his minor league numbers and potential, but if he played one of those positions he'd have gotten his shot a long time ago.