OCT. 23, 2005: A GREAT DAY

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCT. 23RD
OCTOBER 23RD

2005: Let’s just call it the greatest game in the 106-year history of the franchise known as the Chicago American League ballclub. On a cold and wet Sunday night in Chicago, Scott Podsednik’s walkoff home run lifted the White Sox to a 7-6 mind-blowing win over Houston before 41,432 in Game 2 of the World Series at U.S. Cellular Field. Podsednik’s heroics, the 14th game-ending blast in Fall Classic history and the first by a player who had no dingers during the regular-season, came with one out in the ninth off Brad Lidge. The shocking blast put the White Sox up 2-0 in the Series. The Sox looked to be control of this one in the seventh when Paul Konerko’s grand slam – the first by a Sox player in postseason and the 18th in World Series history -- gave them a 6-4 lead. Konerko’s blast was the first slam in Series history that came in the seventh inning or later and erased a deficit. This game was not without controversy. With one out in the seventh, Jermaine Dye was hit by a pitch to load the bases. The Astros protested that the ball hit the bat and not Dye and replays backed that up. However, Dye took first and Konerko followed with the slam. Those feisty Astros tied the game with two in the ninth off Bobby Jenks with the tying run scoring on a close but clearly safe play at the plate. In the ninth, Juan Uribe led off with a fly out to center before Podsednik sent Lidge’s 2-1 pitch into the right field stands to put the Sox two wins from their first World Series title since 1917. When I walked out of the park that night – for the last time during that magical season – I knew I had not only witnessed the greatest game inthe history of the Sox but in the history of the great City of Chicago as well. Edited by StatManDu

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCT. 23RD

OCTOBER 23RD

2005: Let’s just call it the greatest game in the 106-year history of the franchise known as the Chicago American League ballclub. On a cold and wet Sunday night in Chicago, Scott Podsednik’s walkoff home run lifted the White Sox to a 7-6 mind-blowing win over Houston before 41,432 in Game 2 of the World Series at U.S. Cellular Field. Podsednik’s heroics, the 14th game-ending blast in Fall Classic history and the first by a player who had no dingers during the regular-season, came with one out in the ninth off Brad Lidge. The shocking blast put the White Sox up 2-0 in the Series. The Sox looked to be control of this one in the seventh when Paul Konerko’s grand slam – the first by a Sox player in postseason and the 18th in World Series history -- gave them a 6-4 lead. Konerko’s blast was the first slam in Series history that came in the seventh inning or later and erased a deficit. This game was not without controversy. With one out in the seventh, Jermaine Dye was hit by a pitch to load the bases. The Astros protested that the ball hit the bat and not Dye and replays backed that up. However, Dye took first and Konerko followed with the slam. Those feisty Astros tied the game with two in the ninth off Bobby Jenks with the tying run scoring on a close but clearly safe play at the plate. In the ninth, Juan Uribe led off with a fly out to center before Podsednik sent Lidge’s 2-1 pitch into the right field stands to put the Sox two wins from their first World Series title since 1917. When I walked out of the park that night – for the last time during that magical season – I knew I had not only witnessed the greatest game inthe history of the Sox but in the history of the great City of Chicago as well.

Your last sentence couldn't be anymore right. Being 15 and witnessing that glorious moment in person made me realize what playoff baseball is all about.

Best. Game. EVER.

I remember standing on my bed yelling at the TV: "None of this swing for the fences crap Paulie, just get a base hit and tie this game up!" Then as soon as he hit that first pitch, knew it was gone. I jumped in the air and damn near took my head off in my ceiling fan!

My friend called me to get a play by play cause he was driving and the radio went out. I was so pissed after that ninth I was just telling them to leave me alone, and as this is happening, pods hits the ball, so I said "fine, pods hits the ball, its going deep (I'm still thinking it's a double), and HOLY s*** AHHHHHHHHHHHH WE WON WE WON" and ran out into the hallway and just started jumping into walls.

I think it's a testament to my negativity that I still get disgusted thinking about Podsednik's horrible, weak, pus-arm throw home in the 9th.

Konerko's slam should have been the game-winning hit - Podsednik had the ball as Burke was just touching 3rd base and he still couldn't throw his ass out.

freshman at UIUC, me and the roommate were watching it on tivo and it was about 10 seconds behind cause we paused it at one point. So we're watching PK get in the box etc and hear people screaming in the halls. We were like "what the hell?.....He must of hit it out, holy s*** fast forward fast forward!" Awesome.

I remember watching the game with my Dad and brother. We couldn't believe the Astro's tied it up.. As soon as we came up in the bottom of the 9th, i told my Dad when the count went 2-0 'just take 2 more pitches, we need a baserunner' the next pitch.......... ... .... .. . . . . BOOM! I thought it was going to split the gap and he would end up on 2nd, but he ball just kept going..... SOX WIN! What an amazing moment as a true fan, and to share it with my family was awesome. Its those moments you will never, ever forget.

435c740c776ca-24-1.jpg

ws-hr-pods-lidge.jpg

3Hl9pOjt.jpg

konerkoblue1.jpg